FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rescued an Owl  (Read 3572 times)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Rescued an Owl
« on: May 23, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Seen a bunch of crows pecking at something on the lawn and realized it was alive. I went out and it was an owl, it was a little bugger, maybe 6"-8" tall. At first I thought it was a baby owl, couldn't fly or move much, so I grabbed a laundry basket to put over it to protect it. I called the DEC, they said they would be there. While waiting I checked my Peterson Field Guide of Eastern Birds and thought it could be a Screech Owl? When the DEC Officer showed up he checked it out and wasn't sure? The Owl was taken to a Bird Rehabilitation Guy, surprisingly he was fairly nearby. Hope to hear how the little bugger made out. Seeing an Owl during the day is suppose to be an omen... since I rescued the little bugger, I'm hoping it is a good omen!

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

filetandrelease

Re: Rescued an Owl
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:44 PM »

Good for you 👍

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Yea
Good job

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Good Karma for you bud!

I did that many years ago. Was working up north repairing parking lot lights when I saw a small owl sitting on the hood of my truck. It was very calm and needed some help. I searched around for a bit to try to find its home but to no avail. So I called the DEC and they gave me the name and location of a local wildlife rehab center. I boxed it up and delivered it. Hopefully it's back where it belongs.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 05:25 PM »
It made my day helping the little guy.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 05:29 PM »
You got it off to a great start.

Kudos!

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Very cool Bart....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

mr.clean

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Good work Bart crows do not like birds of prey(raptors) and will gang up on them especially if the bird of prey is near a nest with young crows. I'm not sure when crows breed and raise their young but if it is this time of year the crows try and chase off the owl. If the owl had ear turfts and given your height estimate it falls into the height range for the Eastern Screech Owl. Hope it recovers from any injuries and that you are able to be there when the owl is released back into the wild.
I purchased note cards years back with drawings of different owls species and still have a card for the Eastern Screech Owl. taking what info. I posted from the card.
May you be rewarded with good fishing for your act of kindness. Thank you for the photos.
 Steve

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 08:16 PM »

icefisher47

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 08:43 PM »
Great job, Thank you for the pictures.
Take a kid fishing

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 06:21 AM »
Nice job. Be sure to update us with any reports....h2l

iceman260

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 07:30 AM »
Nice job let us know how he does.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 01:21 PM »
Very cool, hope the little fella rehabs well.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 06:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Bart. That is really cool!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 10:08 PM »
That's awesome

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.