FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I am / Did buy a Boat  (Read 5584 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
I am / Did buy a Boat
« on: Jul 02, 2006, 03:33 PM »
I am starting this thread to have a chronological listing of what I am going to do with the purchase of this boat.

This is a 1972 Glastron V163 (16') with a 1989 Force 125 motor. I am pasting the original post I found this in.

i got a 1972 glasstron V163 with a 1989 125hp force stainless steel prop needs work motor runs fine but tilt/trim wont work.

Can see pics here.
http://geocities.com/crappiepics/boat/

Boat needs fixed up new seats, carpet etc. Good solid floor. I do not have a title to the trailer.

asking $1000 firm boat runs and drives on water can take out before you buy.

Has no trolling motor or livewell. ski boat walk through windshield

I really want to keep track of how much time and money I spend on this hole in the water. After a few e-mails back and forth with the sender, I went out to Hickory and took a ride. The boat looked really clean compared to the pictures, ( he also powerwashed it ) so I had some high hopes of how she ran. Before we took her out on the lake, he went over the various pluses and minuses of the boat. The big minuses were the lack of Tilt and Trim (up to or maybe a bit more than $500), four small screws protruding from the bottom of the boat where the previous owner put screws through ( dope ), some nicks in the hull (it's 34 years old ), the Captains Chair needs to be replaced, the 2 built in seats in the back need cushions, and the fuel line wasn't solidly connecting to the motor (fuel was dripping). Once we got the boat in the water, the motor turned over on the third crank; I believe this was due to it being run twice in the past year. There was also a problem when the owner "dropped the hammer", the motor cut out. We believe this was due to the loose fuel line connection. There was also a slight miss in the motor that he pointed out, I didn't even notice, that we also believe to be due to the bad fuel fitting or motor needing tune-up due to inaction.

The positives; Man this boat screamed!! The owner back the throttle off a tad because of no tilt and trim, but at full throttle, this boat popped right out of the water and rode well. The owner put a new steering system on and it worked well. This boat has a deep interior which will be well for me in controlling my 3 year old son. Much of the interior vinyl looked fairly decent, with some improvements needed. The motor is nice and big so I can easily keep and use it for years teaching my 3 kids the thorough enjoyment of fishing and water sports. This boat will be the usuall work in progress. I am really excited about the possibilities, while keeping min mind that the two best things about owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

The overall time I have spent is mostly research and making sure there aren't better deals or other deals out there. I spent a couple hours on the road for the initial looksee, but this isn't really what I want to keep track of.

I ordered a "Hidden Hitch" off the internet with ball and a wiring system for my Chevy Venture Mini-Van. The whole shebang was $164 with the Internet advice that it would take me 1.17 hours to install the hitch. This was almost spot on for time. It wouldn't have taken so long, but it was like 10 - 15 minutes of direction deciphering. I will be picking the boat up on Thursday, I am quite excited.

More posts to follow.

Mike

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: I am / Did buy a Boat
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Well, Mr Murphy has found his way to my boat project. I went to hook up the trailer light wiring in the van, NO PIGTAIL!! Since it's Independance Day, I couldn't get much accomplished. :cursing: :cursing: I will have to delay the pickup of the boat and get this issue resolved.

Mike

CRANKY

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:48 PM »
that sure is a bummer. hickory is pobably more than an hour drive for you isn't it?

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Thanks Cranky. Actually, it was a bit under an hour. I don't mind the drive though, it is beautiful country. The drive is even nice taking the interstate. Everything will work out, it is just a small setback. I have not been rushing this purchase, so no biggee.

Mike

CRANKY

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2006, 07:37 AM »
I would be in a hurry if I lived that close to Lake Norman. How many miles are you from the lake?
It is pretty country down there. Just spent the last 2 weeks in the Salisbury area doing some work. Didn't get any play time though. Maybe next time I get into the area I'll have some time for a little r&r fishing.

CRANKY

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2006, 12:12 PM »
so whats the latest news on your boat  ???

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Well, I called eTrailer and I was informed that in needed to ORDER the harness. ??? I decided to go ahead and do that. I have softball practice on Thursday, so I will have to find out if I can do it another day later this week, Thursdays seemed to work out well for us. So, the movement is slow, but it is still moving.

Mike

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2006, 09:09 PM »
Yeah, the new ones are all complicated.  Special harness more $$$  etc etc

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2006, 07:17 AM »
Actually, the new ones are easy as an 8 track. ALMOST all vehicles with the capacity to tow have a built in pigtail in the rear of the vehicle to plug a wiring harness right in. this process usually takes 10 minutes. As with most things, this is not the case for me. I got the 1 in a million vehicles that doesn't have the pigtail. What's a guy to do??

Mike

CRANKY

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2006, 07:34 AM »
if it weren't for bad luck you'd have none at all  ;)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2006, 12:22 PM »
If you go by my signature line, I must not have been prepared.

Mike

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2006, 01:30 PM »
I had a Lumina van that required a special harness.  My F-150 takes about 2 min to plug in a flat 4 wire pigtail. 

If there are automotive engineers out there- Pleeeeaze have mercy on us.   ::)

CRANKY

« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2006, 03:49 PM »
how are you making out with your boat  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.