FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any NY Mushroom Hunters?  (Read 8503 times)

Dark Cloud

Any NY Mushroom Hunters?
« on: Jul 10, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Im sure there are some on here???
Most people target them in the fall but there are some awesome summer varieties out there. Tank and I have been getting some chantrells the past few weeks but he found some Black Trumpets last week. Delicate, flavorfull, and awesome!

Here is some info on them I found on-line...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps the least likely looking edible wild mushrooms, the Black Trumpet mushroom (Craterellus fallax, see photos, right and below right) and its twin species, the Horn of Plenty (C. cornucopioides, see photo, above) are exceptionally worthy of their gourmet status. Some of my favorite mushroom-hunting areas are aound the Binghamton area of upstate New York, where there are plenty of oak and beech, which are the usual mycorrhizal tree partners with these symbiotic mushrooms, and the only mushroom hunters thereabouts who don't guard the secret locations of their black trumpet spots as they would the combination to their safes are those who haven't found a good patch of 'em yet.

The reason for their popularity? Though their size is modest and their flesh thin, their flavor is outstanding—and it's matched by an aroma so delightfully fragrant that this mushroom is actually used to flavor dry, mild-tasting white wines: a few fresh or dried specimens are slipped into a freshly opened bottle which is then recorked and allowed to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remarkable, delicious, and fun! Of course, the choice of wine is everything, but those who practice this art find the search for the best vintage for this unusual recipe to be half of the fun.

Fruiting in July, August and September in locales where snow falls each winter (later in the fall in warmer climes), these mushrooms can be difficult to locate, as their color is variable but varies only between gray, brown, and black! Sometimes they will stand out fairly well against a green-moss background, perhaps near the base of a tree, but just as often they elect to fruit amidst dead leaves and twigs, where their drab colors camouflage them very well. The best place to watch for them is in places where beech and oak trees are mixed throughout many acres of forest. Perseverance is mandatory, but it is also very nicely rewarded… eventually, for usually where there are any at all, there are usually a lot more fairly nearby. And that's a good thing, since it takes a sizeable number of individual mushrooms to make a pound fresh-weight.

Close examination will show that there are no gills or any other specialized spore-producing structures on one of these mushrooms: It is simply a cone- to trumpet-shaped layer of fungal tissue that flares on the"bell" end of the "trumpet." The edge at the flared end is typically inrolled. Occasional specimens flare only little or not at all, seeming more like tubes than trumpets. For the most part, they grow in clusters.

Based on DNA studies, some mycologists are no longer convinced that there are two distinct biological species here—but many who have studied these and the related chanterelles a lot, myself included, do. I find two distinct forms: One (which I regard as the Black Trumpet, C. fallax) is gray to black, very scaly on the inner surface, fairly fragile, and produces pinkish-tinged spore prints; the other (the Horn of Plenty, C. cornucopioides) is consistently brown, not markedly scaly, fairly elastic, and produces unpigmented white spores. Also, darker specimens of C. fallax appear almost blue on the outer spore-producing surface—a feature which often seems exaggerated by photography—and it is typically more robust, with thicker flesh near the base.

In any event, the mushroom hunter needn't fret over which is which, for both forms taste and smell fantastic! They're commonly dried and stored in airtight containers for use months or even years later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some picts of the ones we got...

We pick hen of the woods, pipinki, and some others in the fall but these are probably our favorite.

I'll use them in soups and stews but this is the dish we really like them in...
Get some onions cooking in some olive oil while prepping some grape tomatoes...

Then add a glass of white wine and the mushrooms and let em cook a few minutes. Then the tomatoes, 5-6 cloves of garlic chopped, and some salt and pepper...

While all this is going on have some pasta cooking. I like to use campanelle but bowties, linguini, ect would work...
When the pasta is draining add about 1/2 to 3/4 of a stick of butter to the schrooms. Between the butter and juice form the tomatoes and mushrooms plus the wine you should have a nice bit of sauce. Not alot but enough to coat things a tad.
Toss with the pasta, add some parmesian cheese, and enjoy!  :thumbup_smilie:
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

riverjunky

Re: Any NY Mushroom Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2011, 07:58 PM »
looks good. wish I could smell it

ryaneth

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Wow.....does that ever look like a feast!   I just ate andnow..........i am hungry all over again!   Great pictures and descriptions.  

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

bailey63

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2011, 09:07 PM »
They look delicious if you are familiar with wild mushrooms maybe you could post more on harvesting them andmaybe post pics of the ones you will only eat once ha ha. My friend pics what he calls pinkies they are good but I am afraid to gather any mot knowing which ones could cause the dirt nap. As long as moderators leave this thread I think it is great a little knowledge could save a life. Oh yeah when is the next meal sure s few hundred of us would join you and I see by the doe droppings they are well fertized LOL bet she would go good with them to ha ha.
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

outdoorsman

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Nice trumpets!  I have yet to collect those...but am a mushroomer in NY and ME.  I found a bunch of golden chanterelles up here the other day!
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

Mr. Jitterbugger

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I am a big time mushroom hunter in NY around the Syracuse are, and its great to see others out there. Hey outdoorsman I believe you might know my brother at Umaine, a technician named Andy, he mentioned to me that he knows the guy who got the big Hudson striper in your pic.

raate

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2011, 05:05 PM »
 I pick morchella in the spring, and Hen of the Woods in the fall...never went out looking in the summer.
They look good DC, and that dish you cook is awesome!  ;D
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience!

smokey

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I'd love to try mushroom hunting. I think I'd be too scared to try it though, even with a field guide.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2011, 08:23 PM »
not  very  cool  theres  kids  reading this  !!!! :nono: :nono:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bcons

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2011, 08:25 PM »
not  very  cool  theres  kids  reading this  !!!! :nono: :nono:

Agreed 1000%!!!!
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

kappy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2011, 09:22 AM »
looks great Dark cloud, I would love to hunt for shrooms, but I would probably kill myself.. never ate any wild ones.
thanks for sharing that meal with us.. looks awsome.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Look what we found....... ;D ;D ;D     

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2011, 07:45 PM »
 ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Found some more...   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.