FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: LL Bean Trolling Fly Rod  (Read 7832 times)

Turnbuckle

LL Bean Trolling Fly Rod
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:36 PM »
Thoughts on the 6/7 or the 7/8 for a leadcore set up?

I haven't had my hands on one to test the action and will only be using it for leadcore, not trolling fly line.

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

buddah

• Stick'em!
Re: LL Bean Trolling Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 03:31 PM »
I like the little extra backbone of the 7/8 for trolling lead core,helps with the hook set if slow trolling sewn bait too.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I like the little extra backbone of the 7/8 for trolling lead core,helps with the hook set if slow trolling sewn bait too.

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. I'm getting antsy.,,
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

troutaddict97

• Life member North American Fishing Club
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:52 AM »
Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. I'm getting antsy.,,
so I'm not the only one... waiting very impatiently for april 1st
‎"... standing in a cool stream with a mountain range or a meadow nearby, fly rod in hand and cigar in mouth, is the way God meant mankind to live."
-- Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2013, 02:25 PM »
so I'm not the only one... waiting very impatiently for april 1st

I ride snowmobiles all winter and ice fish, but I can't wait to launch the boat. I have been going over all my reels, lines, tackle, etc.
Hoping for a good salmon season on Sebago again this year.

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:57 PM »
If it's anything like you had last year you should be happy.  You posted some nice pictures.  I spent most of my time chasing togue this summer and didn't get many salmon.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:08 PM »
If it's anything like you had last year you should be happy.  You posted some nice pictures.  I spent most of my time chasing togue this summer and didn't get many salmon.

Hoping for a good one. Just need to get better with the smelt early to round out the season. Seemed by the time I thought I had it figured out, the salmon fishing slowed.

gamefisher

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:28 AM »
Thoughts on the 6/7 or the 7/8 for a leadcore set up?

I haven't had my hands on one to test the action and will only be using it for leadcore, not trolling fly line.

I don't think you can go wrong either way Jeremy, I have a 6/7 with a Martin multiplier and 12# lead, handles fine and is a blast especially early season.  I'll even run it in the slip later on if I have someone in the boat I really want to punish. ;D

pittstonsquaretail

• "boy you got a lot of stories"
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I run my moocher and lead line on the 7/8.   It's got some good backbone and handles the lead well.
"Less Romance more Science"

duck

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:24 AM »
Hard to beat a Bean 7/8 paired with a martin multiplier and sinking fly line at ice out!!
Keep watching Beans, they usually have them 30% off just before the season.

"Born to fish...forced to work!!"

tkmoney_99

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Is that a mangled smelt that fell out of that fish or a streamer?

blackbetty

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Hard to beat a Bean 7/8 paired with a martin multiplier and sinking fly line at ice out!!
Keep watching Beans, they usually have them 30% off just before the season.

I just heard an add this morning that Beans has a 20% off sale this weekend. I think it only applies to LLB fishing products.
Love the Martin, I've been using a Beans large arbor fly reel. It can be a pain if you have a few too many colors out, coupled with a few too many in ya!

Slammin_Brookies!!

• "Speed and Accuracy" Airborne All The Way 82nd
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2013, 08:54 AM »
I just picked up a 7/8wt to go with my multiplier. I would go with the 7/8 simply because when Salmon bite turns off from June to September you will want to go deeper. Dad and I were running  7-9 colors for Brown, Rainbows and Togue. You will like the extra backbone with all that lead. Specially higher trolling speeds 2.5-3.0 the rod holds up good.
If you're too busy to fish...........You're too Fa..king busy!

duck

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Is that a mangled smelt that fell out of that fish or a streamer?

Maybe this will be a clue
"Born to fish...forced to work!!"

tkmoney_99

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:22 PM »
I think I am starting to figure it out. I apoloze for my ignorance. This is my first year at attempting to troll. Step 1. Buy a boat. Step 2 Figure out how to operate the boat. Step 3 try to catch a fish. I am still on step one...lol. Maybe I am puttng the cart before the horse. I have watched a few videos on the infamous "Sewn Smelt".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.