FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Ontario Browns  (Read 14900 times)

Centerpindrew

• "In the FACEEE!!"
Re: Lake Ontario Browns 2017
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Nice looking Browns!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Chasin' tail is live on facebook now, banging up on the browns.   Looks like Bliss is having a blast!

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2017, 03:37 PM »
16' Rebel XL

Still have Red II, the Impact? I think I remember from last years post?

reeleyz

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2017, 04:03 PM »

Still have Red II, the Impact? I think I remember from last years post?

Oh yeah! I still have Red II but it is in storage, so Red I got the dip. Red I stays at camp all summer and Red II gets used on Oneida and Ontario normally.

step2jimi

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2017, 07:30 AM »
I know you guys fish these browns in pretty shallow water. I have a connection out of catfish creek that i can get out with but only if hes available. My buddy and i were curious as to whether or not (on a calm day) we could take his 17ft bass boat and flatline stickbaits for these things? Iv been on the lake a bunch and know things can get wild out there so we would only go when the conditions were just right for us. But Iv got the place to stay just have never done it without riggers and boards.

Chowdaire

« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2017, 08:43 AM »
You could definitely flat line them in shallow on a calm day. I caught them playing around with a spoon on 1 color of leadcore down the chute last year so even though the boat is supposed to scare them you can still get them without boards.

Like you said though, just watch the weather.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2017, 08:53 AM »
All the browns we caught out there last year, we didn't take a single one on boards.   Almost all of our fish were caught flat lining gold stickbaits  100'-150' back trolled at 2.3-2.6mph at the transition line in 15 feet of water, although we did take a few on the leadcore setup like chowdaire mentioned.

this was our biggest last spring

reeleyz

« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2017, 11:22 AM »
We flatlined them for years. 2 rods with rapalas straight back 150' and have had some awesome days.

I have caught them 50' straight back behind the boat in 6' of water, midday on a sunny day with clear water. It doesn't seem like the boat affects them much.

The only reason I like big boards is because it is easier to run more lines and get them spread out.

Nice football BigRed!

step2jimi

« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Well you guys made that pretty easy on us. Im going to talk to him today and get in touch with my contact in catfish creek to keep an eye on the weather for me. I dont know enough about the weather out there to make the call so ill leave it to him to tell me when to come. Thanks for the input guys.

Chowdaire

« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I don't know what other guys use but I always check the site below when I'm fishing the big lake. I have an 18' Lund right now but got into trouble once last spring sitting on a hot bite while a storm rolled in. I was sure thankful to get out of that one.

Just click on the zone you're heading to.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/zone/gtlakes/bufmz.htm

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2017, 12:11 PM »
Nice start to the spring. Congrats on those Browns
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

reeleyz

« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2017, 03:47 PM »
I use that one Chow and I also use an app on my phone called Wind Alert. It is nice for hunting too.

Gump

« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2017, 04:17 PM »
31 lber caught in the Niagara river a couple days ago.   GIANT !  Pics are floating around Instagram. I'm sure they will make their way around Facebook soon.  Captain Frank Campell was the guide. 

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

whalerman

« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2017, 06:49 PM »
I know you guys fish these browns in pretty shallow water. I have a connection out of catfish creek that i can get out with but only if hes available. My buddy and i were curious as to whether or not (on a calm day) we could take his 17ft bass boat and flatline stickbaits for these things? Iv been on the lake a bunch and know things can get wild out there so we would only go when the conditions were just right for us. But Iv got the place to stay just have never done it without riggers and boards.
I also have a bass boat of sorts and this time of year I enjoy casting spoons or stick baits right up into 2 to 6 fow,  just like bass fishing only I catch nice browns. They seem to hang around boulders like small mouth bass. Try it you'll like it!

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2017, 07:52 PM »
Now we're talk'in!   Awesome Browns, congrats to you and your Mom! Some fine looking browns you caught!

I'm heading up on the 10th and 11th, weather permitting, to give it a shot! Been loading up on the stick baits and spoons and installed a big board mast! Looking forward to this trip!

Great Job!  :D

MK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.