FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop 2019  (Read 150493 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: The Little Wood Shop 2017
« Reply #120 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:45 AM »
If he can turn a horse face I will be impressed ...... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #121 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:38 PM »
If he can turn a horse face I will be impressed ...... ;D

Boom!

8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #122 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I'm curious what you come up with for knights. The rest of the pieces are pretty straight forward.    ;D

Worked on that for a while this morning. A tricky piece for sure. But, I've come up with a process...I think. It's a combination of a turned blank, some band saw work, and some hand shaping. My only question is whether or not it fits the style of the other pieces.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #123 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:32 AM »
Thought I'd share my plans and progress.

Drew up these pieces this last weekend. I must have looked at a couple hundred designs. Never saw one similar to this.

King and Queen. The king will have a Celtic Knot. The Queen a double Chevron.

Bishop, Rook and Pawn. The Bishop will have a single banner stripe at the same angle as the Queen. The Rook, a single horizontal banner stripe. The pawn will be plain.

And last but not least, the Knight. I thought long about this figure and how I would shape it. I viewed several methods and styles, didn't like any of them. So.....here's my take on it.

Should test my carving and shaping abilities.

Today I cut up most of the stock.
Cherry for the dark, hickory for the light. The Cherry pieces will have hickory banners and vice versa.

I also decided to make a glue jig for setting the wafers for the banners. Glued up the little blocks today.

More as it transpires.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #124 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Ok...progress. I set up to cut the Celtic knots and banners for the King and Queen. Devised a system for repeatable cuts on each piece while switching back and forth. The cuts are critical to insure a proportionate decoration. They must be the exact width of the blade,  and the wafer inserts must also be the exact width of the blade. Otherwise, the knot grows with each cut and wafer and ends up out of kilter. I made insertable stops for each piece with a dead stop for reference.

I also constructed a fixture to glue 4 pieces at at a time.

On to turning the patterns. The king....1st attempt.

I stopped for dinner. I'll look at it again on the morning😀

Rg

Bowmandan

« Reply #125 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Very talented  :clapping: :clapping:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #126 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Made some more progress today.
Turned patterns for the Queen and pawn

Made more cuts for the Celtic Knot on the kings and glued up a coup,e bishops.

Got the rest of my parts cut up and ready for gluing.

Fun little project.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #128 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:31 AM »
Looks pretty functional. As long as you have room for it and enough ceiling height it would work OK.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #129 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Made a few cool tools for turning this week. I wanted some micro sized tools for the chess set I'm going to turn and  thought I'd take a shot at a texturing tool.

A fun project. I'm taking. Week off next week and will be getting down to the business of turning the set. All the blanks are made and there's only the knight pattern to complete.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #130 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Cool tools, Bob.  I like the texturing tool. It's almost like a knurling tool.

Do I see a textured yo yo in the works?   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #131 on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I have one more yoyo to make for you three who answered the chess board question. It just might be textured.  ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: The Little Wood Shop 2018
« Reply #132 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Thought I'd move into the new year ;D

Had the week off and played in the wood shop quite a bit. My accumulation of tools and accessories was driving me nuts. So I expanded the carousel a bit. Made homes for all the bits and pieces.

Got all the parts cut and glued up for the chess pieces and set about devising a method for duplication. The little duplicator I worked up a while back was not up to the job so, I worked up a jamb chuck out some Cherry and turned the parts to fit.

Also made some basic marking tools for dividing the blank once it's turned to the first round dimension.

And some little dimensioning jigs for sizing.

I'm making my way through the pawns. Oddly enough they're difficult to make exactly the same. But that's probably more a learning experience than anything.

I may remake a couple of them later on, but for now they're ok. 7 more cherry pawns to turn and I'm on to the bishops. Like I always say, " by the time I'm done, I'll know exactly what I'm doing!"  ;)

Fun project.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #133 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Check out this rod holder Bob

=6511460839963369540&ft[mf_story_key]=-4285639769059331038&ft[ego_id]=821826058000481&ft[ei]=&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=26&ft[ordinal_position]=29%3A3&__md__=1]https://www.facebook.com/mikeswalleyerigs/videos/821826058000481/?ft[qid]=6511460839963369540&ft[mf_story_key]=-4285639769059331038&ft[ego_id]=821826058000481&ft[ei]=&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=26&ft[ordinal_position]=29%3A3&__md__=1

BTW, I've used Mike's walleye rigs and really like them.
They work great out on Erie.

But this is a wood thread.
And I really liked that rod holder he made.

Enjoy

Aprox how many rods do you need to store??  I made a rack out of simple pvc rings.. I bought a pvc pipe 10 foot of 1.5 inch id . Schedule 40 cut the rings on the table saw about 2 inches long so out of a ten foot piece I got 60 rings good for 30 rods for all of about $5 then I went and got a rebate on a box of $4.99 screw I got $4.99 back at menards.. for 5 Its nor bad..

I know the wood is pretty etc but pretty is expensive  and not sure how tall you are and how high the cellING in you basement is but mines 8 foot?? once you take that 1 foot plus for the rod holder and reel a half of foot..  I get close to smaking my head on my reels as I walk under my rods now and there flush against celling cause I screwed the pvc ring to joists..  I am 6 foot 4 inch tall.. and I know for sure would be smacking my forehead on that lumber every time I walked by it.. but it would work in a garage were the celling is 10 foot..

I am sure mac knows this part..  but only reason I would not keep them out there is..  heat from the summers sun will wreck the rod blank..  in no time flat making them brittle.. he has a good idea to store in his basement I am guessing he's about 5 foot 9 inch tall??  cause that rack hangs down a lot.. any how just a suggestions for Mac.   

Another suggedtion is you could get a fostner bit and drill 1.5 inch holes in a board?? And screw the board to celling.. just remember if your not vertically challanged It would work and look a little better then pvc. If taller I would look a little  more see what else you can find?

Mac Attack

Re: The Little Wood Shop 2018
« Reply #134 on: Jan 29, 2018, 07:47 AM »
At home I put them on the walls in the garage on nails.
The garage is insulated, so it stays (relatively) cool in there during the summer.
And being out of the sun helps of course.

Out at the lake, I have racks in the roof of the storage shed and rod lockers in the boat.

As far as how many rods I need to store, the answer would be any that aren't being used, in order to protect them.
I have a lot of rods.
Maybe 12 on the boat, 12-16 at home, 2 in the SUV, and 10-12 in the storage shed at the lake.
And now 2 more being built for me by my son Jeff.

I simply thought the idea was nice Boon.
Don't plan on using it.
But sometimes an idea can spurn a different one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.