FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Surprise...."Updated w/pic 1st page/post  (Read 5359 times)

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Big Surprise...."Updated w/pic 1st page/post
« on: Jun 07, 2005, 03:51 PM »
I was fishing on one of my favorite Crappie and Gill's lake in 8-9 FOW, using a 1/8th oz jig with a 1.5" tube jig working the standing weeds and doing a good job on the gill's.  This one cast after working it out of a weed snag and bringing it back to the boat....BAMMM, big mouth and gil flare with bright shinny eye's.  After a nice fight I finally got it to the net and was completely stunned.  A 28.5" Walleye that weight in about 7.5 Lbs on the old trusty "DE-Liar scale"  Now mind you this is on a lake that "had" Walleyes in it but no one has seen any caught except 1 a few years ago through the Ice.  I've fished this lake hard the past 5 years and never boated one, nor seen one caught.  Guess I can't say that anymore :)  I'll post some pic's when I get my Laptop working.  Tight Lines everyone and may you all get a nice surprise also.

Steve

[/img]

Nothing super huge but I'm still happy with it ;D ;D
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Mentiply

• Crow Point, Lake George
Re: Big Surprise
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2005, 06:21 PM »
Nice fish congrats.

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2005, 06:56 PM »
well you know what they say...big lures catch big fish and small lures catch everything.....

TJ Bauer

• LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2005, 07:02 PM »
Congrats thats the way I feel about Large mouth bass in the lake I fish alot But I have not caught one yet to prove it any different

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2005, 08:48 PM »
Way to go Steve. Ain't fishin fun?????????? You never know what's gonna happen!!!!
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2005, 05:58 AM »
Way to go Steve. Now we just have to get you to target those nice fish more often. 

BTW, You've got mail
Pete Lewis

jighead

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Did you release it????

butterworm

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2005, 09:57 AM »
nice job steve :clapping:. must have been one hell of a suprise when you pulled that out :o

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Did you release it????

Jighead,

I understand the importance of catch, photo, and release as I practice it on a very regular basis.  This fish however was kept to bring to the Biologist for the area that I fish to give him info on this fish.  He is working very hard with his "Supervisors" to improve both the fisheries and wildlife on this installation and all the info he can get, IE, a sustainable fishery,etc, is used in his reports.  We have been working on a stocking program for Walleyes in a couple of the lakes but because of budget constraints and such it seems most of the alloted moneys go to the popular fish (Trout  :-\ ) because they show their the most pursued species.

Unfortunately the boat I was using doesn't have a livewell so this fish did not make it back in the water, but hopefully it will aid us in the stocking of 1 to 2 thousand more in the near future.   Look on the bright side....how many Perch did I save from being eaten ;D

Tight Line to All!!!
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

eyedoktr

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2005, 10:37 AM »
Steve,you NEVER have to apologize for keeping a legal fish.  Especially a walleye, they're soooooo tasty
Pete Lewis

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Thanks Pete,

I wasn't really apologizing about keeping it as hopefully it did a lot of good.  I just didn't want this thread to get into the "I can't believe you kept it" arguement.  This fishery was depleted as a result of lack of management as it has, to our belief, no or very limited natural recruitment of Walleyes.   Hopefully we can get some stocking going and bring it back to a fishable Walleye lake.  The Biologist is a very active individual and really wants to improve the quality of outdoor enjoyment for all.

T/L,
Steve

buffaloice

« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2005, 08:35 PM »
If you dont mind me asking....What lake?

devil-man

« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Steve,you NEVER have to apologize for keeping a legal fish. 

I agree and would like to commend you on your efforts with the biologist.
If more of us did that we would have the fishing capital of the world!!!  :flex:

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2005, 12:07 AM »
Steve,you NEVER have to apologize for keeping a legal fish. 

I agree and would like to commend you on your efforts with the biologist.
If more of us did that we would have the fishing capital of the world!!!  :flex:

Devil-Man.....we do have the fishing capital in the world, at least with the diversity of fishing options available here.  I can think of a bunch of places that I would "Hate" to be stationed at or live.  NY is a great place for an outdoors"person"  We ALL just need to learn how to get along.

Steve

Buffaloice....you have mail

bigdave1018

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2005, 05:26 AM »
the last time i gave info on a honey hole of mine on a friday pm, the next day there was at least 5 people there from here at 6 am. this place isnt big enough for 3 people to fish let alone the crowd that was there. and then there was 1 private property  place that got invaded because i mentioned it in here and even said that it was private property. people wonder why others refrain from reveiling their spots. ill be the ist person in here to help another fisher out but dont ask me where ive been getting bit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.