FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Setting up the boat to troll...  (Read 31010 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Setting up the boat to troll...
« Reply #165 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Put an electric motor in the bow to troll with then you won't have to worry about getting lines in the prop.
Nice and quiet, no outboard fumes. slow down to less than a mile per hour. Might have been your original idea..
I have one that clamps on anywhere and the controll cord is 15 feet long. Don't know if they make that model anymore

I have a Minn Kota Powerdrive bow mount with a 25' cord. That works great for a day or so but I do a bunch of multi-day camping trips where there is no chance of recharge.

gamefisher

« Reply #166 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:47 AM »
My take is after 12 pages of how to set it up you may be too tired to launch it! ;D

Jethro

« Reply #167 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:53 AM »
My take is after 12 pages of how to set it up you may be too tired to launch it! ;D

You may be right

Turnbuckle

« Reply #168 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Is that a SkiDoo windshield on there?
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #169 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:56 AM »

I was just thinking that after reading all of this, a 14 footer that fits in the bed of a pickup looks pretty good.  All to catch a vertebrate with a pea sized brain.

# SAND

Tunker

« Reply #170 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:58 AM »
First off that's a nice rig and you'll get there eventually.  Once you start fishing and you find something you want to change, just change it. 

I will say though the Penn instructions are showing a closed transom which is a different animal as far as placement.  If your props centered under the boat there's a lot more flexibility.  If you run into issues with cable in the kicker then cage the prop.  Lots of different ways to do this including standard rock guards or homemade options.  As you work it out I would recommend grabbing a second prop for that 6hp.  A minor investment that can keep you out there if something goes south.  You would need some serious deflection to get the the cable in that prop but be extra careful setting your lines....trust me. 

Even for your size boat that's a lot of gear to be dragging.  One lively fish and it'll get "interesting" quick.  If you're doing it right just a few lines will do. 

I run a Bert's bar across the back of my boat my kids have no problem getting in using the swim ladder.  Just having the swim ladder is more options than my father gave us back in the day  :laugh:.

Now get some slime in that thing.

Well, everyone seems to say the forward riggers are set too far forward. I that's too bad, I have them mounted exactly how the Penn manual suggests...

So I'll have to fish it and see what it seems like. The damage is done now anyway.

I have 2 more riggers to mount, so it will be exactly like the diagram above.

Jethro

« Reply #171 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:59 AM »
I was just thinking that after reading all of this, a 14 footer that fits in the bed of a pickup looks pretty good.  All to catch a vertebrate with a pea sized brain.

My next thread will be about kayak fishing lol

JDK

« Reply #172 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:07 AM »
My next thread will be about kayak fishing lol

I wasn't picking on you at all and understand that setting up something new takes time.  Just seems that we all like to spend other's $$. ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I purchased my new boat, I had a hard time drilling that first hole.  Both MG39 and gamefisher kicked me in the pants and said "do it and move on".  They were right, as is Tunker.  Things can be changed.

# SAND

Tunker

« Reply #173 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I think he is forgetting about the most important thing which I am sure Gamefisher agonized over:  cooler location.

I wasn't picking on you at all and understand that setting up something new takes time.  Just seems that we all like to spend other's $$. ;D ;D ;D ;D

When I purchased my new boat, I had a hard time drilling that first hole.  Both MG39 and gamefisher kicked me in the pants and said "do it and move on".  They were right, as is Tunker.  Things can be changed.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #174 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Did someone say ski doo windshield?

JDK

« Reply #175 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I think he is forgetting about the most important thing which I am sure Gamefisher agonized over:  cooler location.

The rest is fluff.

# SAND

gamefisher

« Reply #176 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Is that a SkiDoo windshield on there?

Obviously you haven't checked your sleds out back in a while..... ::) :laugh:

Turnbuckle

« Reply #177 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:16 AM »

Obviously you haven't checked your sleds out back in a while..... ::) :laugh:

>:(
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #178 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Jethro

I'm going to offer some friendly advice.  Take it as you wish and it is NOT intended to offend anyone.

I read this thread and thought , out loud, HO Lee #$%k. others are very good at spending your money.  In my very simple mindset, I'd mount 2 riggers and some rod holder where YOU think and then go fishing.  Not once, not twice but several times.  Figure out how the boat handles, how YOU are going to use it, how you fish, how it fishes, how it handles different weather conditions, etc.  After that add, modify, or subtract.  You might just find out that 2 riggers and 2 other rod holders are what you want.

It seems unwise to me to go out and spend a shitload of money on "things" that you have no idea if you will like, use, or need.  The only way to know is by DOING.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  You have the platform, now get it wet and decide what you need and want and, as importantly, what you don't need or want.

Planning is fun but cripes.
# SAND

JDK

« Reply #179 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:42 AM »
I stand by what I said except for the fact that I forgot about the cooler.....
# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.