FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Setting up the boat to troll...  (Read 30942 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Setting up the boat to troll...
« Reply #210 on: Apr 23, 2018, 12:28 PM »
It looks like it the kicker was on the other side of the boat it would be ideal . It looks like you could mount the balls like you did in your first setup and run a short rod with no binding.  ???

Yeah, unfortunately the swim platform is on that side. I didn't want to deal with removing or relocating the swim platform, it's actually got a very nice, telescoping stainless steel ladder that I constantly use to enter the boat when it's on the trailer.

Mac Attack

« Reply #211 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:18 PM »

The first version was not good. Used two of the bars and connected them. Was unable to trim either motor without binding and the motor would turn one way fine, but the other was super stiff. Really not smooth at all. So over the weekend I decided that risking the cowling was worth the risk. I epoxied a big piece of aluminum flatstock to the inside surface of the cowl.

I couldn't trim mine either with the bar installed.
So I decided to only use it will trolling.
The quick connect ball ends allow for easy on/off.
So I stored it and said I would install it as needed.
Stowed it and never got it back out.
It's in the boat someplace, buried deep.
But I'll be darned if I can locate it in a few minutes.
lol

I'm surprised that you big motor doesn't have that small tab like the kicker.
Maybe older motors didn't have this steering hookup tab.

Jethro

« Reply #212 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:46 AM »
I'm surprised that you big motor doesn't have that small tab like the kicker.
Maybe older motors didn't have this steering hookup tab.

It has a tab or bar where the Teleflex steering rod attaches after it comes out the other side and turns back. It's way underneath the base of the motor and it looks like a serious job just to access that bolt. I'm fairly satisfied with my epoxy job with the backing plate and I'll keep an eye on it. If it cracks, well, I'll have to learn how to do fiberglass and paint work I guess.

I am at a point where I think I am done for the most part. Just hoping for some of my favorite lakes to start icing out.

Mac Attack

« Reply #213 on: Apr 25, 2018, 11:34 AM »

If it cracks, well, I'll have to learn how to do fiberglass and paint work I guess.

:rotflol: :rotflol:

boondox

« Reply #214 on: Apr 25, 2018, 12:07 PM »

I am at a point where I think I am done for the most part. Just hoping for some of my favorite lakes to start icing out.

Hay at least your at a point you can enjoy the boat??  some are at the point of total tear down..  this time of year cause there to lazy to do it last year or when it was cold lol's.. be glad its not bust out another thousand right now cause you fond a leak.. lol's like saying it could be worst.. so enjoy wile you can..

Jethro

« Reply #215 on: Apr 29, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Yesterday was my first full day trolling on the boat and it fishes really well. I'm really happy with where I mounted the downriggers they are not too far forward for sure. Caught this one yesterday early in the day while fishing the big lake in NH 3 days after ice-out and just wanted to share here. Looking forward for some big fish when I come to Maine!

joefishmore

« Reply #216 on: Apr 29, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Did  you get that fish on a downrigger ?

Mac Attack

« Reply #217 on: Apr 29, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Nice fish partner

Jethro

« Reply #218 on: Apr 29, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Did  you get that fish on a downrigger ?

Yes 7 feet down on the downrigger, 10 lb ball pulling a 48-inch set of cowbells. I run a Scotty snubber above the ball and then my Chamberlain release above that. So my lure was about four to six feet behind and a foot above the last cowbell. So if you think about it, that fish was caught very close to the boat. I was fishing a DB Smelt #102 Rangeley Special, trolling about 2.3mph.

I was also fishing a lead core line and so was my partner in crime, and as per usual the lead core line performed the downriggers. We boated three salmon and two rainbows, all but one of the salmon were good, keeper size fish. Only two of the salmon were caught on the downriggers.

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #219 on: Apr 29, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Nice to see it fishing . You sure put your time into setting it up .   Thats going to be a fish slaying machine !!  I'm looking forward to more fishing reports .     Did you name the boat yet ???

Jethro

« Reply #220 on: Apr 29, 2018, 01:38 PM »
   Did you name the boat yet ???

Not officially. My 14' Starcraft Superfisherman is named the Slamma Jamma (long story that has to do with snowmobile buddies) or Slamma for short, so we've been calling it the Jumbo Jamma but I think this boat deserves something better than that. Its a work in progress but its possible Jumbo Jamma may stick.

As for it being a fish slaying machine I sure hope so!

joefishmore

« Reply #221 on: Apr 29, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Boats need to be named after your wife so she will be less likely to b***h about it.

fishsluggos

« Reply #222 on: Apr 29, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Boats need to be named after your wife so she will be less likely to b***h about it.

My buddy named his pigs after his sisters in law & mother in law.

Jethro

« Reply #223 on: Apr 29, 2018, 02:29 PM »
How do the live wells work on my boat? They have two settings, fill and circulate. I tried to fill it half way up and then I turned it off and the next thing I noticed it was empty. Do I need to just leave the fill button on? How do I leave water in there?  Am I supposed to put a plug in the bottom of the live well?

My buddy named his pigs after his sisters in law & mother in law.

Lol!!

fishsluggos

« Reply #224 on: Apr 29, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Congrats on the boat & fish. Well done.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.