FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Want to get into Fly Fishing...A Newbie Question  (Read 2666 times)

Jumbos

Want to get into Fly Fishing...A Newbie Question
« on: Apr 15, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I'm gonna take the plunge. Is there a recommended newbie bundle I should start with (like an L.L Bean ready to go rod for example)Something of quality but won't break the bank. Thanks!

cjg

Re: Want to get into Fly Fishing...A Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2018, 02:01 PM »
The beans setup is a good way to go. Tell them what you'll be fishing for and they'll set you up.
Take the time to learn it, no better way to fish for sure. Good luck.

Jumbos

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2018, 02:10 PM »
 cjg- Thanks. I'm pumped to start learning,  there is so much info/opinions/gear out there it seemed like it can be overwhelming. I figured a starters package is the way to go. Beans seemes like a good start.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2018, 02:22 PM »
You can’t go wrong with starting out with almost any 5 or 6wt package from LL bean or cabelas. I have several rods from cabelas and I feel they are a good deal for the price, especially when they are on sale. On that note, Mardens had some nice stuff at a great price, so you won’t feel too bad about breaking it. Simple things like a weighted fly or split shot hitting the rod during a cast is how I broke my first rod.
 I had to teach myself how to cast and fish by watching YouTube videos. Orvis has some great instructional videos for beginners. I first tried to fish for trout, but got much more practice by catching sunfish in a pond or lake. They are so much fun with a fly rod.
If you get over the learning curve, it’s very addicting. It’s only been three years since I first picked up a fly rod, and now I have more fly rods than I do conventional.
Also, go check out the Maine Fly Fish forum, another friendly community eager to get people started. Just be mindful though, that board is very sensitive about spot burning.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Jumbos

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Seamonkey84- Thanks. It seemes like once you get over the casting hump your hooked (pun intended) I'll check out that board. No spot burning.

grgs

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2018, 03:27 PM »
One of the better Flyfishing books out there is by Lou Zambello, you should be able to get one at Beans. He breaks down the different Flyfishing seasons and how to fish them. The best part is you can understand what he is writing about and it is mostly about Flyfishing in the Northeast.

Hope this helps.

Jumbos

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2018, 03:34 PM »
 grgs - Absolutely thanks. I'm a big book guy. The more info the better. It's looking like Beans will be the first stop. Any other writers or texts I should look into while I'm greener than green?

lunkahville

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Had a friend with 5/6 wt combo from beans.. it was a dream. Great feel and he said it didn't break the bank. Caught 35 trout with it in one day. Never missed a beat.

Jumbos

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2018, 04:42 PM »
  Lunkahville- 35 sounds good. Thanks for all the recommendations folks. Glad I asked. It's my first non random comment post so I'm stoked.

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I have to add, a 5 or 6wt rod would be the most versatile for styles of fishing and target species. They can gently place dry flies, while being enough to throw standard streamers and weighted nymph rigs and indicators. On the other hand, generally speaking, a heavier rod like a 7/8 is almost easier to learn on, as you’re able to feel the rod loading much more noticeably than with most lighter rods. Feeling the rod load with a proper back and forward cast vs a bad cast was kind of the “Ah Ha!” moment for me, though it took me a while to notice it with my 6wt (redington crosswater). It could be that I was just that bad in the beginning, but the first time I cast my 8wt (Cabelas LSi) I noticed the load immediately, as it wasn’t subtle like my 2 through 6wts (no, I didn’t skip any numbers though it would make more sense to). I’m Still learning/practicing the hauling, and the heavier rod is helping that along.
Heavier rods also allow you to punch through wind easier and throw bigger flies like large streamers and bulky surface poppers for bass and pike. But not so good for delicate presentations like dry flies for trout, and not much fun for for smaller fish in general.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

robbfishing

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2018, 06:14 PM »
A certain bargain cave online has some good deals right now  8)

gauge

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2018, 05:35 AM »
Hey Jumbo,
  One thing that helped me was to practice at home casting.
I would line my self up against a row of green trees and video tape my casting.
I used an orange fly line so I could see my loops. Stops on your cast makes all the difference.
L. L. Bean offer so great lessons on casting as well.
Enjoy and have fun.

gauge

Jumbos

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Gauge-Thanks for the tip. That's my plan is to set up something in the yard and practice that way. I seen to remember someone using some kind of rubber plug that is for practice casting? Is that a thing or is my memory Hazey from too many Moosehead trips?

justdave

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:19 AM »
indoor practice... get a dowl, add 3-4' of yarn. if you can cast the yarn (same timing involved), you will be able to cast a fly-line.

JDK

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:37 AM »
indoor practice... get a dowl, add 3-4' of yarn. if you can cast the yarn (same timing involved), you will be able to cast a fly-line.

Exactly, or even a rod tip.  That is how I taught my sons.

# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.