FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Things are a little slow yet so...  (Read 1574 times)

taxid

Things are a little slow yet so...
« on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:25 PM »
Thought I'd share this.

Been doing taxidermy for 34 years and most of those years just fish. Believe it or not we taxidermists don't like to make excuses for not getting fish work out and it can be stressful on us too. Some people can get downright nasty but it works the other way too with people that are slow or don't pick up their completed fish. Anyway, decided that this year I would get everything out of the freezer and hanging from the rafters (not finished but mounted), and everything that comes in skinned the next day and mounted within 3 days. It's been rough but I was able to accomplish my goal! I've been keeping up with mounting new fish within three days since January 1 and my freezer is empty and unplugged. Now I just have to get done what is hanging from the rafters!

61 fish hanging from the rafters and two that I mounted today that I can't hang from a furring strip as my cordless drill took a dump. Also three replicas and a couple of fish I need to repair and repaint done by other taxidermists.

I wasn't able to get all the fish into the picture frame.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

Re: Things are a little slow yet so...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2018, 05:48 AM »
Looks good.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Nice!

Do you have pictures of any finished products? Maybe yellow perch or crappie?
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:37 PM »
I do but I'm not interested in promoting my business here especially since I don't pay for advertising. I'm also have plenty of business. I'd be happy to direct you to good taxidermists in your area though if you P.M. me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2018, 07:59 AM »
and my wife complains about my fish smelling up the house!!!!!!

Funny you mention that. I get more of a smell from the live fish tanks farther back in the basement -- especially the tank with the tilapia in it. The wife was complaining this weekend so I had to do some major water changes. Normally the tilapia are out in the ponds to control algae by now but it's been too cold. Water temps below 50 are lethal to them. The other tank has crappie and bluegills and they will go out to the mixed pond very soon.

There really isn't much left on the fish mount that would smell. Only thing left is the skin, head, and fins. And the head on the trout and salmon is cast due to it being nothing but grease and cartilage.  There isn't much left of the head on the fish I use the real heads. It's hollowed out all the way to the nose.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I do but I'm not interested in promoting my business here especially since I don't pay for advertising. I'm also have plenty of business. I'd be happy to direct you to good taxidermists in your area though if you P.M. me.

Understandable.

No thanks, already have a great taxidermist.
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Understandable.

No thanks, already have a great taxidermist.

Great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.