FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sabiki rigs?  (Read 2529 times)

Swampking89

Sabiki rigs?
« on: Jun 25, 2018, 03:45 PM »
OK I know I'm a newb to Maine fishing,but what is a Sabiki rig?i heard they use them to catch bait.is it some kind of umbrella rig or something? Heading to Wells July 4th week and want the grandkids to catch something.thanks!!

joefishmore

Re: Sabiki rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Sabiki rig is used for catching herring or mackerel and has 5 very sharp hooks so you don't want one of those around small children

Swampking89

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2018, 04:41 PM »
They're not that little (11 & 7). I'd be doing the casting.do you use a bobber?how far from bottom?thanks Joe!!

robbfishing

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2018, 04:54 PM »
They are similar to a mackrel tree . But razor sharp! I'd second the no kids rule  ;)

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:31 PM »
I tie mine but use this method in video..

I buy supplies from purple taco flies or michels arts crafts etc.. and tie up sabiki hooks.. I use size 2 or 4 Aberdeen hook for like pan fish that are gold.. and lash the purple taco lure material to the hook with bright tying thread and or 5 minure epoxy the head I dye the epoxy with auto air color paint or similar brughtly colored paint.. mixed in the five minute epoxy..  most of the time I use mylar and white thread with a bright epoxy color for the head..  any how tieing mono to hook I use a quick snell or egg loop knot...  there the same thing also a uni knot for the main branch as seen in video watch it closely.. I only use 4 hook but no more then 5  I would stick with 3 or 4 my self.. just a heads up..  if you need to pinch the barBS down with pliers law dependant of corse. Best of luck.. 

https://youtu.be/IumY_tFwzeo

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2018, 05:11 AM »
I had 5 pollack on one of these rigs this sunday. Then I live lined them for a Striper. Got a few shorts but the Mac’s and Hogs not where I fished.

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2018, 07:32 AM »
If an 11 and 7 year old can't use a sabiki rig, it might be time to learn.  You can buy an el chepo knock off, cut it in 1/2, add a small jig to each,  and let them have fun.

# SAND

StarCraft

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Buy them on Ebay, if you have time.  I just loaded up on some and they're way cheaper.  Comes out to just over a dollar a rig.  Locally you're paying $4 a rig.  I just bought 12 for $13 and free shipping.

Swampking89

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!do you use a bobber and if so,how far down?Ill head to a bait shop for more info.i have to get a license anyways.

stguy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2018, 04:10 PM »
When your done with them they are a pain to store,  I put them into an empty water bottle, slice the cap for the leader to stick out and screw the cap back on.

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2018, 06:35 PM »
Slip bobber?? Also try pool noodles to store the sabiki rigs.. use a staple to hold it on or loop de loop them as you go..

fishless12

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2018, 01:01 AM »
X2 on cutting them up. If you're concerned about kids getting hooked, you can cut them so it's just one fly and a mackerel jig. Works fine. Getting hooked by a sabiki isn't the end of the world, either. I consider it an occupational hazard.

Another thing you can do is take a smallish streamer fly and attach it to a dropper loop above a mackerel jig.

Any way you slice it, Sabikis are pretty cheap. If I get more than one use out of one, I call that a win.

Swampking89

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Thanks again guys!! Do you use any bait on them? I was thinking maybe a little piece of shrimp or something.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2018, 03:32 PM »
No bait.  The flies do the attracting.  Sometimes using a bank sinker on the bottom of the rig and no bobber works best.  If the kids are already fishing then I wouldn't sweat it.  Little common sense and careful observation even the 7 year old will be fine.  Now if you wanna skip all that madness...take the kids right after dark and chuck live eels on a 7/0 octopus hook.  Cast out and reel in slow.  Best a couple hours after high slack near any sort of outflow.  Ive taken some big ones at ft popham that way but later in the season when the water temp up there peaks.

seamonkey84

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2018, 06:22 PM »
I thought that you have to use an inline circle hook when using bait now.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.