FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: If baiting deer is illegal in Indiana  (Read 2353 times)

taxid

If baiting deer is illegal in Indiana
« on: Sep 30, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Why is deer corn flying off the shelf at my local TSC?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

Re: If baiting deer is illegal in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2018, 10:59 PM »
If it’s not illegal to feed the deer, some people will feed the deer right up till hunting season. Other well meaning people try to help by feeding through the winter, but if they aren’t using a special winter food, the deer end up not being able to digest and absorb the nutrients. They end up getting malnourished with stomach full of food.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:09 AM »
Baiting/feeding is a waist of money in our neck of the woods. Heavy nut year which is the deers favorite food and green sprouts still around, fields full of corn and beans and clovers. Just a sales catch for those that know very little about animals. If you want to see deer find a white oak grove and keep your eyes open.

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:25 AM »
And I believe ,that you have to pull bait stands 30 days before season starts
I don't bait at all so not 100% on this

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:27 PM »
I asked a CO about it and he said the sale of it is quite common with all kinds of types of bait on the Walmart and Rural King shelves too. Said it was legal to buy it but illegal to use it during hunting season. I said, "oh that reminds me of when fireworks were legal to buy in Indiana but illegal to use." He said, "exactly."

I'm sure Walmart, Rural Kind, and TSC have their lobbyists that made sure it can be bought. OTOH I'm sure someone in their headquarters state that decided what goes on the shelves doesn't know or care.

I do know years ago when I did an outdoor column I noticed Walmart shelves packed to the brim with what I think was called 'deer candy." I commented about it in my column and the next time I was in Walmart the bait stuff was gone.  :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishcrazy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Fields will be empty soon. All dry and ready to be picked. Cheaters will cheat.

rivereddy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Baiting regulations are just about the most ambiguous laws on the books.  While it is legal to buy corn, apples, etc, all, and I mean All traces of the bait must be removed no less than 10 days before the season starts.  One grain of left corn can tee one up for a big fine.  "Licks", such as salt blocks, are especially a problem.  Since the salts dissolve into the soil, one must remove several inches of dirt under the lick or set it on something impermeable and removeable such as plastic.  Where it gets crazy is that realization that even if a hunter is totally ignorant of bait set out by someone else he is still liable. Hunting an orchard is OK because it is in accordance with "Normal agricultural practices." Placing apples out for the express purpose of attracting deer or bears is a major no no. To further increase confusion, several surrounding states allow baiting.

I don't have enough time, or enough aspirin it the bottle to go into the headache of waterfowl and upland game regulations.

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.