FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: DOG DAYS OF SUMMER EYES  (Read 5915 times)

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER EYES
« on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Now that the dog days of summer are here what are everyones favorite tactics for eyes?  IMO its the toughest time of the year to get em! Later-Deadeyez
Nice job findin em

BBK

Re: DOG DAYS OF SUMMER EYES
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2009, 07:05 PM »
SLOW trolling a live bait rig with a fathead. I normally troll at about .3-.4 mph

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2009, 08:29 PM »
Now that the dog days of summer are here what are everyones favorite tactics for eyes?  IMO its the toughest time of the year to get em! Later-Deadeyez
That's strange deadeyez.  Walleye in the St. Lawrence are just turning back on after the post spawn times.  We slow troll a spinner harness with crawlers about 6-8 ft. behind a 2 oz. bottom bouncer in the deepest channel areas (35 - 70 ft.)  Also drift and jig (slowly) the same rig with a lighter bouncer.  Keep it on bottom and just above.  I like to troll a lot.  I get my rig out, put the boat in neutral and when I "feel" bottom put the boat in gear for about 2 seconds, neutral again and let the rig settle again.  Repeat "forever".  Seems to trigger em pretty good, when the bite is on.
I have always felt the eyes are much more predictable in the river than in any of the local lakes.
I assume your fishing Oneida or Ontario?
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Im fishing Oneida. I don't do much trolling but, the kinda trolling your doin sounds pretty cool. I do use worm harnesses and bucktail jigs and drift and jig them both.  I probably do need to try some other deeper spots. Its crazy how moody these eyes can be sometimes! Talk to ya later-Deadeyez
Nice job findin em

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Im fishing Oneida. I don't do much trolling but, the kinda trolling your doin sounds pretty cool. I do use worm harnesses and bucktail jigs and drift and jig them both.  I probably do need to try some other deeper spots. Its crazy how moody these eyes can be sometimes! Talk to ya later-Deadeyez
Give it a shot - let me know how it works for you.  SOmeone showed me this spring and I was very surprised at my success.
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

eyedoktr

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2009, 06:56 PM »
This time of year I love to "dabble" the holes in the weeds with a light jig and crawler. I was on a small Finger Lake  :whistling: last weekend and got 3 walleye between 18" and 22" in 8 FOW or less.
Pete Lewis

Flooner

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2009, 08:14 PM »
Still doin okay with bottom bouncers and worm harnesses (trolling and drifting) had to work hard today though, caught a  really heavy 21"er ten minutes in today (got out at 10am) and didn't latch on to my second and last until 5:30. I think its way more about right place , right time on Oneida than anything else.

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2009, 05:04 AM »
I hate summer, I usually give up on Onieda mid July myself, and usually dont go back till late Sept. /early Oct. but then again the only time I fish that lake more than once a week is in the fall, thats when I'll fish Fri, Sat., Sun nights, and maybe an occasional mid week if the bite is real hot..........c'mon Halloween, love that time of year...........

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2009, 03:25 PM »
I hear ya Meathunter!  When the bite gets tough I start practiceing shootin my bow until they open their mouths back up! ;)
Nice job findin em

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Got a couple tonight trolling on the river one 17 incher and a 14" was only out for about 2 hours

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Got a couple tonight trolling on the river one 17 incher and a 14" was only out for about 2 hours
Nice SOS, what river you fishin up there? Are you near stillwater Res?  I ice fished there a couple winters ago and got into some nice perch!  Got myself a dog days eye this morn-19". Later-Dead
Nice job findin em

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Nice SOS, what river you fishin up there? Are you near stillwater Res?  I ice fished there a couple winters ago and got into some nice perch!  Got myself a dog days eye this morn-19". Later-Dead
Im out towards the eastern part of the state....about 30 minutes north of Albany....I didnt even know there was a Stillwater Res. out west until just now.....thats pretty weird.....anyways i was fishing the Mohawk launched the boat about 5 minutes from my house and didnt travel more than 200 yards from the boat launch

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2009, 01:22 PM »
Nice. I wouldnt mind fishin the Mohawk sometime.  I might try it by the dam in Rome
Nice job findin em

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Don't know about everyone else but im having no luck with the eyes in the last 2 weeks! :'(  The bite on Oneida lake in new york has been more than slow for alot of people compared to normal!  Temps are dropping though and hopefully things will soon pick up!Later-Deadeyez
Nice job findin em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.