FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best bait and setup for perch  (Read 69773 times)

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
best bait and setup for perch
« on: Nov 18, 2008, 08:33 AM »
whats everyones best bait  to catch perch and setup

troutchaser

Re: best bait and setup for perch
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:36 AM »
minnows   i  foot   under ice   on   a   good  perch   pond

fish_finder

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Just about anythng will work in the spring once you find them. I like to use a small in line spinner to find them first, then use small minnows or crawlers under a slip bobber once i find them. Early summer say mid-late june ive caught some huge ones in weedy coves with small-medium golden shiners under a big bobber.
Fishing isn't a hobby it's an addiction

reubenpa

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:41 PM »
dropshot rig !!!!!   you can fish shallow or up to 100 FOW for em!!!!   just gotta change the weight of your bait
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2009, 02:24 PM »
In a lot of the shallow water lakes, ponds that I go to in PA. I just toss a small piece of worm on a small treble (little pieces are all you need) with light line, either a small split-shot, or none at all, right over the side of the boat near underwater brush piles and other structure. I've filled buckets many times over, by doing that. Just don't try tossing your line against the wind with it that way, or you'll end up with bird's nests...If I'm in deeper water(say more than 10ft.), I will use a slip-bobber with the worm, or a fathead minnow, and fish it within a few feet from the bottom-on down. Maybe I should add, that most places where I fish in PA. are not that deep in the first place. If you are in deep water, by all means, those guys with the drop-shot rigs are right on the money.
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Fish 6-12" off the bottom, Use your ice jigs with spikes. Right off the side of the boat over weed beds or drop offs.
Dropshot rig a small fathead or rosy red.

reubenpa

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:14 PM »
your right salmon rebel ots of places aren't as deep as what I fish. I will use ice jigs with bobbers in a few areas I fish for them but most places that have bigger perch it way beter to use drop shot.. you can hook jigs up to them.. use minnows or whatever.. the biggest perch I ahve ever gotten came out of 22 FOW while using a dropshot rig (weight probably 3/8ths oz or 1/2 oz) and a 2.5-3 inch BLUEGILL!!!   I have gotten perch with 5 inch shiners...   

second largest perch was thru the ice in 22 FOW with a "nunna bug" with spikes on 2 lb line.

salmonrebel

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:14 PM »
your right salmon rebel ots of places aren't as deep as what I fish. I will use ice jigs with bobbers in a few areas I fish for them but most places that have bigger perch it way beter to use drop shot.. you can hook jigs up to them.. use minnows or whatever.. the biggest perch I ahve ever gotten came out of 22 FOW while using a dropshot rig (weight probably 3/8ths oz or 1/2 oz) and a 2.5-3 inch BLUEGILL!!!   I have gotten perch with 5 inch shiners...   

second largest perch was thru the ice in 22 FOW with a "nunna bug" with spikes on 2 lb line.
My biggest perch came out of about 3-6ft.of water in an outlet to a lake I fish all the time. The same day, my brother was fishing with me, and he caught his largest of a lifetime too. He actually got 2 that were bigger than mine. He was using a small slip bobber with only a 1 foot lead casting farther back. The only reason he left the bobber on his, was so he could cast it better. I was using my plain hook with small piece of worm right near the boat. We caught nice mess of fish that day, with 3 beautiful humpybacks.

Afew weeks ago at another place. Me and a couple of my buddies were icefishing, using some large and jumbo shiners on our tip-ups to try to trigger a northern, or a big bass. Only to have dink perch hitting them. We caught, probably at least 6 dinky perch ::) on those large shiners.
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

reubenpa

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:13 AM »
how big were those perch you were getting??  you personal best etc...     the lakes I fish are ultra deep and ultra clear so hinders shallow water perchin.. 

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:54 PM »
We usually start of drifting along shallow weed beds with crawler harnesses.  Once we locate a school of nice ones, we will anchor and cast with small jigs and a bit of crawler, or a #2 or #4 aberdeen hook with a small split shot 12-14" up the line.  Has been working for us for years!
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

oatkasut

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:35 PM »
reubenpa has it right with the drop shot rig; a minnow on a plain hook about 12-18 inches off the bottom.IT IS DEADLY ;D ;D ;D

salmonrebel

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:27 PM »
how big were those perch you were getting??  you personal best etc...     the lakes I fish are ultra deep and ultra clear so hinders shallow water perchin.. 
Mine was 13.5 inches. My brother's was close to 15! He got 2 the one day, they were twins, 14 3/4.

reubenpa

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:09 PM »
thats some nice perch!!!!   I got a 15 3/8ths last year in JAnuary and this year a 15 3/8ths thru the ice in February in 2 different lakes!   

husb0023

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2009, 09:04 AM »
BPS sells a jig trailer called the Stubby Butt... that thing can really produce the perch.  Use a 1/8 or 1/16 ounce jighead and fish it plain or with a minnow.

fishermantim4

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2009, 11:08 AM »
cant beat perch on lively minnow near the bottom.  around here if its not an emerald don't even bother fishing
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.