FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: spinning reel suggestions needed  (Read 2331 times)

fishlessman

Re: spinning reel suggestions needed
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2024, 01:48 PM »
i caught a shimano several years ago in good shape....some friends were upset when i said i was going to nail it to the camp as a trophy ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2024, 05:22 AM »
i caught a shimano several years ago in good shape....some friends were upset when i said i was going to nail it to the camp as a trophy ;D
😂

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:27 AM »
I recently got a diawa  6' 6'' spinmatic d spinning rod , now i need a spinning reel , i was thinking about a 1500 or 2000 size , am i headed down the right road ?  THANKS

So, what did you decide on?

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2024, 03:17 PM »
lol depends on the user  😉
Both good haha. Can’t beat a shimano tho if money is no option.

Stickbait

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2024, 06:31 AM »
For the money, it’s hard to beat Pflueger. This ultralight combo is my latest addition.

gotagetm

« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2024, 07:47 AM »
Those reels are fantastic in my opinion...but the newer president's are made little cheaper I believe

fishinator

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2024, 02:00 PM »
I just bought a new president.  I definitely don't like the holes in the side of the spool. They serve no purpose except to let dirt and water get to the spool bearings. Seems to be pretty much identical to my 15+ year old one. Mechanically at least.

Stickbait

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2024, 02:40 PM »
I just bought a new president.  I definitely don't like the holes in the side of the spool. They serve no purpose except to let dirt and water get to the spool bearings. Seems to be pretty much identical to my 15+ year old one. Mechanically at least.
Agreed. Weight savings measure? I also have a 20+ year old pres. with the rosewood handle.

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2024, 05:13 PM »
Weight and styling

stripernut

« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2024, 08:54 PM »
Pfluegers are good but Shimanos are better

The vast majority of my reels are Shimano and I use them till they start to get tired (ave. 15-20 years) I then sell them for more than 1/2 what I paid for them in the first place, making them much cheaper than any other quality reel out there... When I do try other brands, some function OK to start but none last much more than 5 - 8 years and I can only resell them for about a quarter of what I paid for them. One of the other great things about Shimano is that whatever reel you buy from the high-end to the lowly FX, they all work well. When I am asked what reel should I get unless they are fishing "Big Game" or "Speed Demons" I just tell them to get whatever Shimano reel they can afford and they will be happy with it. Buy what you like but that is my suggestion and I have been at it for over 50 years and guiding for over 30 of those years (sadly Shimano has never given me any gear/reels, but many other tackle companies have.)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.