FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: navigating the lakes  (Read 1998 times)

natureboy79

navigating the lakes
« on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:00 AM »
I might sound like an amatuer boater by asking this but trust me,im not. Most of my fishing is done on the salt and I did get my boaters cert a few years back.In the class almost all bouy reading pertained to saltwater.I have never hit anything on the lakes but still dont understand all the markers.It seems like every lake is set up different. Anyone have any info on navigating lake markers or can point me in a direction on some info.
My name is Andy and i'm a fishaholic...

squam river bait

Re: navigating the lakes
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:51 PM »
hi. I belive it goes like this, red bouy stay west and south and black bouy stay east and north. these are solid colors, remember its hot in the south and west and thats red, and cold in the north and east and thats black, just read your compass or gps. hope this helps

jibbs

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2008, 05:48 AM »
hi. I belive it goes like this, red bouy stay west and south and black bouy stay east and north. these are solid colors, remember its hot in the south and west and thats red, and cold in the north and east and thats black, just read your compass or gps. hope this helps
another tip is black and white look like a white birch and you can only find them in the northeast.......my best tip for you would be to buy a map of the bigger lakes in nh........they give you the best routes to take around islands and through flats......they are usually marked with green lines.......you can find maps of winnisquam, winni, squam, ossipee, newfound, and wentworth at northern bass supply......as for other lakes.......sometimes common sense comes into play.........if you see a marker off a point.......never go inside it.........if you see a red/white and black/white in the middle of a flat do not go in between it.........and if you see a solid red on one side and a solid black on the other.......that would be your channel.........go in between........if ever in doubt slow down......get on the trolling motor and see whats going on........
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

JIGGIN

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Also dont forget about "red, right, return".

JIGGIN.
Go Go Get Em!

natureboy79

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2008, 10:07 AM »
thanks guys.-Jibbs,thats the rules i normally follow just didnt know if there was a publication or the state had a site with this stuff.
P.S.-jiggin, I have learned that "red right return" isnt safe to go buy when on a lake,especially if theres more than one launch,what might be return for you could be the opposite for someone at another launch. In the salt you are always heading to sea or "returning" from sea!
My name is Andy and i'm a fishaholic...

knight rider

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Go to www.boat-ed.com and you can read up on all the rules etc.

knight rider

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Also, GO BRUINS!

jibbs

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:49 PM »
i second that.........go B's
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

baboosicfisherman

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2008, 04:09 PM »
part of the states boating website has an online course that you can skip to the section on bouys and markers.  They also have the contact info to get an official copy of water markers and all that stuff.  Go B's! (maybe next year i hope)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.