FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It is out! 1964 Starcraft  (Read 2535 times)

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
It is out! 1964 Starcraft
« on: Apr 22, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Here she is and ready to go!  This is an origonal 1964 Starcraft with all the sale papers! It has a 1964 28hp Johnson Sea Horse with the origonal paint on the origonal prop!  I spent the day today getting it ready.  The papergraph also works like a charm!  If you see this on the water, I will be behind the wheel!

Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
Re: It is out! 1964 Starcraft
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Now *THAT* is a sweet boat!

It's amazing how many of the old Starcrafts are still kickin' in the Northeast...  I have seen one just like yours up in Brant Lake (Adirondacks) the past few years, and it's awesome...

The Brant Lake boat has full canvas though- and looks like a mini version of Starcraft's "Islander"...

Yours is in the best shape I've ever seen!

It's funny- I have a newer 14'6" Starcraft- and it always makes me smile when a fellow owner shoots a wave or honks the horn...  It's like a club with a few thousand other owners!

They've been building great fishing boats for quite some time!  Yours is proof!  That old 28hp looks HUGE compared to the newer ones!  Must weight a ton, huh?
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2008, 02:09 PM »
The boat was bought by my grandfather, who I never met, new in 1964.  It was given to my father after my grandfather passed. I grew up in this boat on Winnipasaukee until we started to fish Lake Ontario in 1988.  Since then the boat has only been out a few times here and there over the years since.  Even though it is still technically owned by my father, I am the third generation to fish it.  It has taken many stripers in the Merrimack and many salmon in NH. 
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

longbeardking

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2008, 02:42 PM »
I was 19 years old and in the Navy when my Dad bought that boat. Between 1964 and 1984 I was never allowed to pilot the boat.  My brother, now also deceased, talked my mother (gone as well) into letting me take the boat. There were many nights spent on the coast of Plum Island fishing stripers. Even several trips out to the Isle of Shoals with that boat.  Back in the 60's and 70's the Merrimack River was never as treacherous as it is today. Can you imagine that boat with 4  adults, fishing gear, and food on the ocean.  If that boat could talk it would really have some tales to tell.  It was a difficult decision for me to let go of it, but it also gives me great pleasure to know it will be on the water doing what it was bought for. To me it simply indicates the passage of more time. Be careful, have a great time, and please take care of it. It doesn't look that good after being 44 years old by accident.

knurren

• What of it?!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2008, 02:58 PM »
I want one.

We used to have a similar boat, but my uncle trashed it and sold it after my great grandfather died.
Live free or die trying.

sageur

• wetter the water the better
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2008, 04:11 PM »
She's a charmer. Looks as though she be at home in rough water.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:12 PM »
That thing is in great shape. Looks like its only been used a couple of times...... ;D

baboosicfisherman

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2008, 04:06 PM »
i just sold my boat with that same exact motor.  Rebuilt the carbs a couple times, but other than that it worked well for its age.  You definately have a nice setup in that vintage boat!

chowdah

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:46 PM »
I just showed my wife your pics and she said " Oh Theres our boat!!! Great shape we had on exactly like that and I caught more fish and had tons of fun with it. Thanks for the pics!! If I see that on Winni I will sure come over and say HI!

longbeardking

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2008, 06:56 PM »
It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I just pray that it is taken care of. It's 44 years old, still has all the seats, original battery box and until just the other day, the original strap that held the battery in place, AND it still has the full canvas moring cover. I'd be willing to bet that in 44 years it hasn't seen more that a dozen or so 24 hour stays outside. Always been stored inside. The motor has had 3 water pumps, never had the heads removed and has never had the carburator rebuilt. Sitting in the garage wasn't what it was bought for.

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Nice boat  :)

Nice to see it handed down and still running well 3 generations later ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.