FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Greenough Ponds and Nathan pond  (Read 5393 times)

matt75

Greenough Ponds and Nathan pond
« on: Jul 07, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Hey all first post been watching for a while great stuff.  i was wondering if any one on the board has fished greenough ponds or nathan pond.  wondering what the fishing is like. I know greenough is not much of a hike but what about nathan pond. lately I have been trying to go to some of these remote ponds that fish and game stock by air. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

NH Trout Fisherman

• MFF Mod Team
  • FISHIN 4 BIG TROUT!
Re: Greenough Ponds and Nathan pond
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Hey all first post been watching for a while great stuff.  i was wondering if any one on the board has fished greenough ponds or nathan pond.  wondering what the fishing is like. I know greenough is not much of a hike but what about nathan pond. lately I have been trying to go to some of these remote ponds that fish and game stock by air. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Fish Finder Matt  :)

Ive never fished these two ponds but Im pretty sure they are small/shallow. Nathan Pond is only 22 acres and about 20 ft deep. I remember a buddy of mine said he hiked in there once, and I could be wrong? But I think its a couple miles in? These little ponds get stocked with fingerlings so the bigger ones are possible, but generally fewer and farther between. They are some very scenic and tranquil places to fish though! If you ever make it out, let us know how ya did? Good Luck!  ;)

NMSBob

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2012, 12:42 PM »
My wife and I hiked into Big Greenough many years ago and found some pretty good fishing for brookies and lake trout. One of my buddies got a 6 lb laker out of there. There were also some very interesting crystals along the shore rocks near the outlet if I recall. Was a nice place and I think you can drive into it now.

Bob

unbrahb

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2012, 08:40 AM »
been trying to fish nathans for years.  I hiked in there once before; we hiked from coleman down to the balsams on a one way.  The hike from colemans into nathans is about 3-4 miles if i recall, it is a beautiful area up there.  That whole section of trail is maintained by the Cohos Trail Association.  You can go to their website for excellent trail info and a good set of maps.  http://www.cohostrail.org/   

Moose and bear are EVERYWHERE.  i have heard the fishing is excellent.  I would plan to pack waders in, shore fishing would be a challenge.

NHFG has dumped several thousand fingerlings in there every year for over ten years; there has got to be a decent population of them by now. 

My plan was to spend the night at coleman, hike in bright and early, fish all day and hike out with the bounty that afternoon. 

be smart about food and bear controls if you spend the night by the pond.  they are in there.

if you take one for the team be sure to report back, i would love to hear how you did!  thanks.     

unbrahb

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2012, 08:42 AM »
matt,

you mentioned that you have lately been trying to go to remotely stocked ponds, how have you been doing at other places if you don't mind me asking?

unbrahb

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2012, 08:59 AM »
here are the trail distances for that area

http://www.cohostrail.org/mileage2.html

per this, it is only 2.6 miles from coleman to the west edge of nathan.  probably a 7 mile rounder when all is said done (walking around the pond etc)

matt75

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2012, 07:18 PM »
I managed to get to big and little greenough pond today but got skunked. I was fishing from shore and did not get any hits, did manage to jump a fawn out of its bed though which was a first for me still had the spots.  The hike into nathan has been pushed to next week. Unbrahb do you know which trail to take from coleman into nathan because I am not quite sure. Also to answer your question about other pond I recently hiked to Stub Hill Pond. It is about a 20 minute hike but it is up a very steep hill. Only caught one brookie about 8  inches but the last time I was there I caught quite a few brookies from 6 to 12 inches so I know they are there just not biting this time.

unbrahb

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2012, 08:26 AM »
I managed to get to big and little greenough pond today but got skunked. I was fishing from shore and did not get any hits, did manage to jump a fawn out of its bed though which was a first for me still had the spots.  The hike into nathan has been pushed to next week. Unbrahb do you know which trail to take from coleman into nathan because I am not quite sure. Also to answer your question about other pond I recently hiked to Stub Hill Pond. It is about a 20 minute hike but it is up a very steep hill. Only caught one brookie about 8  inches but the last time I was there I caught quite a few brookies from 6 to 12 inches so I know they are there just not biting this time.

matt,

here is an image of the map page that contains Nathan.

as you can see, it is the diamonds pond trail out of coleman.  It is also the Cohos trail, southbound.  Cohos is very well marked in both directions with yellow blazes.  after 2 or so miles you will come to a small clearing; on your right will be a small snowmobile bridge; you will want to go left here to go to nathans pond.  the bridge is a shortcut to bypass the pond if you are through hiking the cohos.  you can see this junction on the map above.

i am dying to hear how you did, keep us updated!  thanks.  

fyi i have hiked just about every mile of cohos on the map above, it is incredible terrain.  the strecth of forest between nash stream and dixville is other worldly.  

unbrahb

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2012, 08:30 AM »
i realize that image stinks.

if you want to PM me your email i will send you the scanned pdf. 

unbrahb

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2012, 06:48 AM »
hey matt,

did you ever make it into nathans?

matt75

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:39 AM »
My trip got postponed had to go work in mississippi. Might try to go this week after some rest.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.