FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new boat modifications  (Read 5159 times)

Dispy

Re: new boat modifications
« Reply #30 on: Apr 11, 2013, 10:31 AM »
I have 1960's evinrude 3hp twin cyl that I was looking to get tuned up and cleaned up. i found it in a barn, cleaned the carb and put new gas in it and it fired up.. also put new sparkplugs in for the hell of it. it runs good suprising but takes a while to start and I think It might be misfiring on one of the cylinders because its way under powered, but sometimes the power increases. does a marine mechanic need to tune it up and look through it or could a motorcycle mechanic take care of it? jw cuz a family friend owns his own motorcycle shop in nashua
Two points to ponder with old Evinrudes....points or power packs, to suffer power loss and fluctuating power this is usually the culprit. Compression check each cylinder..meaning worn rings if there exists a great differential between the three etc......Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford will have all your vintage parts. Good luck. :)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

haightdaddy

« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Thats my only worry...

bugman1964

« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Build a casting deck/storage bin at the bow of the boat. It will give you a platform to fish off of and a compartment to store gear and provide ballast for assist with plane off. Add the swivel camp on seats, downeast rod holders, fishfinder, & lights. Do you or can you keep a deep cycle battery in the boat charging from the outboard operation? If not it maybe an obstickle for using a trolling motor, lights and fishfinder. Depending on your knowledge of boat operations, you may want to consider an boating safety course. Good Luck.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #33 on: Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 AM »
As mentioned above, a boater safety coarse is a good idea... you don't need it for that little 3 hp setup but if you every want to operate anything over 25 hp (or the dreaded "skicraft") it's required in NH. At the very least you should print out or memorize the inland buoy and marker chart.... not knowing them may leave you sitting on a sand bar or boulder when you don't want to be, or somewhere you are not allowed to be.

haightdaddy

« Reply #34 on: Apr 11, 2013, 05:10 PM »
As mentioned above, a boater safety coarse is a good idea... you don't need it for that little 3 hp setup but if you every want to operate anything over 25 hp (or the dreaded "skicraft") it's required in NH. At the very least you should print out or memorize the inland buoy and marker chart.... not knowing them may leave you sitting on a sand bar or boulder when you don't want to be, or somewhere you are not allowed to be.
is a nh drivers liscence required to get a boaters licence?

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #35 on: Apr 11, 2013, 05:32 PM »
is a nh drivers liscence required to get a boaters licence?

I don't think so, but not positive.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.