FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: winnie derby  (Read 6409 times)

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
Re: winnie derby
« Reply #15 on: Jul 03, 2016, 05:03 PM »
Doing good fishing has been so - so. Don't disagree but I don't fish Winni for salmon so what do I know. Not even sure what this "Winni Pledge" is about. I would think stopping a boat to fight a salmon with downriggers and planner boards out would be a little tough if that is part of this "Pledge".  Hanging up a few downriggers might get a little costly.
The pledge really encourages quick catch and release- not keeping it out of the water for close to a minute trying to get a pic of one of the thousands of 3lb salmon in winni..... I have seen it multiple times where a deep lake troller is going around and having a trail of of dead salmon, often with extremely mangled mouths due to treble hooks.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #16 on: Jul 04, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Doing good fishing has been so - so. Don't disagree but I don't fish Winni for salmon so what do I know. Not even sure what this "Winni Pledge" is about. I would think stopping a boat to fight a salmon with downriggers and planner boards out would be a little tough if that is part of this "Pledge".  Hanging up a few downriggers might get a little costly.

You are correct, Denny! Stopping most trolling boats to bring in a fish is impractical and not necessary. While the rigger balls are not usually at risk of hanging up, the long leads from them and lead cores, most often are!
The Winni pledge was created by a handful of dedicated Winni anglers, guides and one or two F&G biologists (a short lived group) in reaction to the "assumed" collapse of the Winni salmon 6 or 7 years ago. 
The sentiment was good.
It all comes down to personal responsibility and ethics!

I agree with BS that all those "hero" shots of average fish and treble hooks are doing serious damage to cold water fish in Winni. Especially when they're coming up a long ways through warm water.

The Winni Pledge   

" Take the Pledge!
 Landlocked salmon are a limited fishery and increasing fishing pressure combined with the use of advanced fishing technology has profound impacts on this unique resource.  By pledging to be dedicated stewards, landlocked salmon anglers can make a critical difference in sustaining this valuable fishery.
 Dedicated stewards:
Demonstrate a commitment to conserving New Hampshire’s landlocked salmon resources.
Acquire and demonstrate skill in using best practices that minimize impacts to this fishery.
Take the time to observe this valuable resource and reflect on its condition.
Hold themselves accountable and act in an informed, responsible manner.
Pursue opportunities to educate others about landlocked salmon resource issues.
Recognize that resource issues generate differing points of view; while they may not agree with someone else’s perspective they respect their right to express it.
 Take the pledge to be a dedicated steward and assure the rich heritage of New Hampshire’s landlocked salmon resources continue for future generations.  Pledge to be a dedicated steward by acquiring and demonstrating skill in using best practices that minimize your impacts to this valuable fishery.
 Safe Handling Techniques for Landlocked Salmon
 Catch and release fishing is a valuable tool that can lead to more and bigger fish in the fishery, but just because a fish swims away doesn’t mean that it lives to be caught another day. If you are releasing landlocked salmon, use the following practices to increase the chances that the fish you release is unharmed.
 Hooks
The time it takes to remove hooks affects survival rates
Use hooks you can easily remove from the fish
Have your hook removing tools easily accessible and ready for quick use
NEVER shake a fish off the hook.
NEVER unhook a fish suspended in the air.
NEVER sharply pull hooks out while the fish is moving and twisting.
 Fight Time
Survival increases when fish are not fought to exhaustion
If trolling, stop the boat immediately and play the fish quickly to the net
During the summer months, when surface water temperatures are high, reduce fight time as much as possible
 Handling
Have a plan on how to handle the fish before it’s boated to minimize handling time
Use rubber or other “fish friendly” landing nets
If you have to handle the fish make sure your hands are wet
Minimize the time the fish is out of the water, less than 30 seconds whenever possible
Never touch the gills as this causes damage and impairs the fish’s ability to breath
 Selective Harvest
 If you are planning to release the landlocked salmon you catch, consider harvesting any legal fish that:
Is hooked severely
Has been fought to exhaustion
Has been handled excessively after it was landed
Has sustained a debilitating injury from a previous hook-up
 Voluntary Reduction in Effort
 On days when you experience high catch rates, particularly when water surface temperatures are above 70°F, consider limiting your fishing time/trip duration. This is difficult to ask of anglers who have a lot invested in their pursuit of these magnificent fish, but this limited fishery is not capable of sustaining high levels of catch & release fishing during the warmest months of the year."

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2016, 03:01 PM »
You are correct, Denny! Stopping most trolling boats to bring in a fish is impractical and not necessary. While the rigger balls are not usually at risk of hanging up, the long leads from them and lead cores, most often are!
The Winni pledge was created by a handful of dedicated Winni anglers, guides and one or two F&G biologists (a short lived group) in reaction to the "assumed" collapse of the Winni salmon 6 or 7 years ago. 
The sentiment was good.
It all comes down to personal responsibility and ethics!

I agree with BS that all those "hero" shots of average fish and treble hooks are doing serious damage to cold water fish in Winni. Especially when they're coming up a long ways through warm water.

The Winni Pledge   

" Take the Pledge!
 Landlocked salmon are a limited fishery and increasing fishing pressure combined with the use of advanced fishing technology has profound impacts on this unique resource.  By pledging to be dedicated stewards, landlocked salmon anglers can make a critical difference in sustaining this valuable fishery.
 Dedicated stewards:
Demonstrate a commitment to conserving New Hampshire’s landlocked salmon resources.
Acquire and demonstrate skill in using best practices that minimize impacts to this fishery.
Take the time to observe this valuable resource and reflect on its condition.
Hold themselves accountable and act in an informed, responsible manner.
Pursue opportunities to educate others about landlocked salmon resource issues.
Recognize that resource issues generate differing points of view; while they may not agree with someone else’s perspective they respect their right to express it.
 Take the pledge to be a dedicated steward and assure the rich heritage of New Hampshire’s landlocked salmon resources continue for future generations.  Pledge to be a dedicated steward by acquiring and demonstrating skill in using best practices that minimize your impacts to this valuable fishery.
 Safe Handling Techniques for Landlocked Salmon
 Catch and release fishing is a valuable tool that can lead to more and bigger fish in the fishery, but just because a fish swims away doesn’t mean that it lives to be caught another day. If you are releasing landlocked salmon, use the following practices to increase the chances that the fish you release is unharmed.
 Hooks
The time it takes to remove hooks affects survival rates
Use hooks you can easily remove from the fish
Have your hook removing tools easily accessible and ready for quick use
NEVER shake a fish off the hook.
NEVER unhook a fish suspended in the air.
NEVER sharply pull hooks out while the fish is moving and twisting.
 Fight Time
Survival increases when fish are not fought to exhaustion
During the summer months, when surface water temperatures are high, reduce fight time as much as possible
 Handling
Have a plan on how to handle the fish before it’s boated to minimize handling time
Use rubber or other “fish friendly” landing nets
If you have to handle the fish make sure your hands are wet
Minimize the time the fish is out of the water, less than 30 seconds whenever possible
Never touch the gills as this causes damage and impairs the fish’s ability to breath
 Selective Harvest
 If you are planning to release the landlocked salmon you catch, consider harvesting any legal fish that:
Is hooked severely
Has been fought to exhaustion
Has been handled excessively after it was landed
Has sustained a debilitating injury from a previous hook-up
 Voluntary Reduction in Effort
 On days when you experience high catch rates, particularly when water surface temperatures are above 70°F, consider limiting your fishing time/trip duration. This is difficult to ask of anglers who have a lot invested in their pursuit of these magnificent fish, but this limited fishery is not capable of sustaining high levels of catch & release fishing during the warmest months of the year."

Thanks Richard. After fishing on the "Seahunt" I will have to say that you follow "The Winni Pledge".

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #18 on: Jul 04, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Thanks, Denny.

Never officially "took it", but I abide by all aspects except stopping the boat.

One part, that I think a lot of anglers don't know is....

but just because a fish swims away doesn’t mean that it lives to be caught another day.

Take care,

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #19 on: Jul 05, 2016, 05:26 AM »

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Some info to share.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fishing/catch_rel.htm
Saw first hand a big streamer that was swallowed deep by a trout, and the angler cut the line. I then caught the same brown with the fly still in it's throat.

Dispy

« Reply #21 on: Jul 05, 2016, 11:34 PM »

Guilty as charged...lol...but I keep my fish and eat them........
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #22 on: Jul 06, 2016, 01:43 AM »
Guilty as charged...lol...but I keep my fish and eat them........
If you're keeping and eating them, that negates any reasons not to use trebles or take pics IMO.  ;)

Keep in mind that all fish caught in Winni are not keepers.
Obviously, those released need the most care and attention to thrive and fight another day.

Gone fishin...

fishlessman

« Reply #23 on: Jul 06, 2016, 09:30 AM »

i dont really get this one, last thing i want is a big fish straight down under the boat glued to the bottom, move the boat and get some line angle and they usually come up

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2016, 02:02 PM »

i dont really get this one, last thing i want is a big fish straight down under the boat glued to the bottom, move the boat and get some line angle and they usually come up

I thought that strange as well. The fish comes to the surface quick when you keep the boat at a slow troll.

zwiggles

« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2016, 07:59 PM »
I agree with you fishless, and jethro as I always thought the part about stopping the boat was strange. My only thought is that by stopping the boat the fish is able to fight lower in the water column where the temperature is lower. Maybe by keeping the boat going it forces them to fight up top where the water temps are higher (during the summer months), and may cause more stress to the fish?

fishlessman

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2016, 07:18 AM »
I agree with you fishless, and jethro as I always thought the part about stopping the boat was strange. My only thought is that by stopping the boat the fish is able to fight lower in the water column where the temperature is lower. Maybe by keeping the boat going it forces them to fight up top where the water temps are higher (during the summer months), and may cause more stress to the fish?

maybe rephrase it to slow the boat down, stopping it can make things worse. i want that fish up in in the net before it knows what happened ;D  maybe its an experience thing but i see guys out there fishing 10 colors and reeling fish in at 3 mph, thats just wrong, just get the boat down to one mph to reel it in and stop with the 10 plus colors.  how warm is winnie right now, sebago was 70 degrees down near 30 feet last weekend, ive never seen it that warm this early

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2016, 11:19 AM »

maybe rephrase it to slow the boat down, stopping it can make things worse. i want that fish up in in the net before it knows what happened ;D  maybe its an experience thing but i see guys out there fishing 10 colors and reeling fish in at 3 mph, thats just wrong, just get the boat down to one mph to reel it in and stop with the 10 plus colors.  how warm is winnie right now, sebago was 70 degrees down near 30 feet last weekend, ive never seen it that warm this early
Very interesting temps for Sebago.
Winni is odd also!
72-73 degrees on top yesterday. 60' down 57-58 degrees where we were.
NOT normal for this time of year.  ::)

swnoel

« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2016, 06:16 AM »
My opinion is that any lake in NH  being managed for any kind of quality cold water species  fishing should never allow fishing derbies. This state has a very limited number of lakes with suitable water quality, maybe it's time to manage our fisheries resources responsibly.

gorilla head

• tbe back porch II
« Reply #29 on: Jul 17, 2016, 11:14 AM »
My opinion is that any lake in NH  being managed for any kind of quality cold water species  fishing should never allow fishing derbies. This state has a very limited number of lakes with suitable water quality, maybe it's time to manage our fisheries resources responsibly.
I agree, But it would be hard to eliminate the fishing derbies because (say what you will) the B.A.S.S. Has too much pull with the State. It is not just the salmon fishing derby that screws up the Salmon fishery. I would be willing to wager that a lot of Salmon are killed via boat traffic from the Bass boys zipping across the lakes, Plus they take the Bass from the warmer parts of the lakes and release them in waters where the trout and salmon are. Why aren't the bass as well as the cold water species required to be DEAD when they are checked in?  this would eliminate the bass from entering the colder water eating the younger 8" salmon and would be fair to all.  Plus the bass reproduce naturally in these lakes so they can replenish them selves. But Like I said the B.A.S.S. Has too much influence on the State. Please notice how I said State and not the Fish and Game Dept. , Who Only does what the State boys tell them to do as we have seen that by stopping the ice fishing again on Spofford Lake in Chesterfield. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.