FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Care of trout from unregulated waters??  (Read 6540 times)

dickbaker

Care of trout from unregulated waters??
« on: Oct 31, 2016, 04:34 PM »
 ???  Located in Littleton, I have three exceptional waters that are heavily stocked in Autumn and open for the entire year.   Most of the ponds  are stocked with1 -2 lb. rainbow trout and 1/2 lb brown trout but the stocking numbers are tremendous??   Many of the fish will remain close the the stocked shoreline for several weeks and I find them an easy catch and release fly fishing target  when the weather is cold and windy.   But they are also a tempting target for small boat fishermen trolling small streamers looking for large numbers for catch and release.   Its possible to launch after a late breakfast and trailer for a hot lunch after releasing 30 or 40 nice sized trout.   I remember doing this for many years before I realized that the Spring time fishing showed few fish that had grown fat  waiting for my fly??   My big concern is that many of the Autumn catch and release fish don't survive and that the following ice fishing season (catch & eat fishermen)  reduce the remainder?    NHF&G's  stocking program is heavily weighted towards a catch and eat so catching and eating your limit can be a good objective.   Just be concerned about the number of trout that are inured while releasing large numbers for fun??
Dick

lowaccord66

Re: Care of trout from unregulated waters??
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2016, 06:53 PM »
Hey Dick I wouldn't worry much about trout that look like they went to war after growing up in a circular concrete tank but that is just me.  Where I fish, a big portion of the Farmington River is catch and release and the holdover rate is fine.  I bet bald eagles account for more mortality than fishermen on that stretch.  Discussions on releasing fish and their mortality rates can go on forever.  I myself have decided that if I ever grow so concerned, Ill hang up the fishing gear and maybe consider a PETA membership.  

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I remember when I was surprised to learn that even bodies of water that hold over trout, the trout usually disappear after 2 to 3 years. Browns are the most likely to holdover. Brooks have short lifespans and rainbows don't last as long as the browns.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2016, 11:46 AM »
Yes, many trout have short life spans.
They will survive longer in captivity, but are considerably shorter in the wild.

I believe most rainbows and brookies are on the 5 year plan, with browns and salmon up around 7.

They only major difference is that most trout can spawn for multiple years once they are mature, where west coast salmon spawn once and die.

If the conditions are good, they can add a year or two, providing that predators don't get them first!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2016, 06:24 PM »
October 15 drop from 5 fish to 2 fish limit like ice fishing for all lakes and ponds. I know some fisherman that can't wait for the fall stocking to fill their freezers. Nothing wrong with that it is legal but maybe leave some for ice fisherman.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Yes, many trout have short life spans.
They will survive longer in captivity, but are considerably shorter in the wild.

I believe most rainbows and brookies are on the 5 year plan, with browns and salmon up around 7.

They only major difference is that most trout can spawn for multiple years once they are mature, where west coast salmon spawn once and die.

If the conditions are good, they can add a year or two, providing that predators don't get them first!

I think you're being generous with the ages of the stocked brook trout. Most don't make it past age 3.  Surprisingly I had a very knowledgable biologist in Wisconsin that tell me in the Great Lakes, many mature brown trout males also die after spawning. Not all of course.

One problem with stocked female trout is they can become egg bound if they can't find suitable spawning conditions. They reabsorb the eggs which is very stressful to them. And the males will beat themselves during spawning leaving them open for fungal infections.  The brook trout can spawn over gravel bottoms with upwelling, albeit they still have fairly short life pans except for wild fish in frigid northern waters.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2016, 01:00 PM »
I think you're being generous with the ages of the stocked brook trout. Most don't make it past age 3.  Surprisingly I had a very knowledgable biologist in Wisconsin that tell me in the Great Lakes, many mature brown trout males also die after spawning. Not all of course.

One problem with stocked female trout is they can become egg bound if they can't find suitable spawning conditions. They reabsorb the eggs which is very stressful to them. And the males will beat themselves during spawning leaving them open for fungal infections.  The brook trout can spawn over gravel bottoms with upwelling, albeit they still have fairly short life pans except for wild fish in frigid northern waters.
I'm pretty sure stocked brookies in NH rarely make it to their first winter (spring fish). They are so susceptible to predation and angling. I've been told that electroshocked stocked  brookies in the fall look sad... Even in lakes like dublin lake and pleasant lake (new london) with tons of smelt the brookies rarely holdover and reach trophy sizes. And to go along with the stress from spawning, you will definitely see some salmon and rainbows with this white fungus on them, and from what I have heard  it often means death for them.

JoeGG

« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure stocked brookies in NH rarely make it to their first winter (spring fish). They are so susceptible to predation and angling. I've been told that electroshocked stocked  brookies in the fall look sad... Even in lakes like dublin lake and pleasant lake (new london) with tons of smelt the brookies rarely holdover and reach trophy sizes. And to go along with the stress from spawning, you will definitely see some salmon and rainbows with this white fungus on them, and from what I have heard  it often means death for them.
Did you get my pm about Silver?

BrookieSlayer99

• Trying to catch big bows and brookies!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2016, 01:36 PM »
Just saw it.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2016, 06:03 PM »
I've seen egg bound salmon in NH as late as early summer.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2016, 08:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure stocked brookies in NH rarely make it to their first winter (spring fish). They are so susceptible to predation and angling. I've been told that electroshocked stocked  brookies in the fall look sad... Even in lakes like dublin lake and pleasant lake (new london) with tons of smelt the brookies rarely holdover and reach trophy sizes. And to go along with the stress from spawning, you will definitely see some salmon and rainbows with this white fungus on them, and from what I have heard  it often means death for them.

As far as the fungus it depends on the extent of it. And if they start feeding before it gets the best of them, they have a chance.

Used to get fingerling LMB from a supplier in Michigan that insisted on seining his ponds at ice out. LMB are very susceptible to fungus if handled under 50 degrees. Survival was best if the water was in a warming phase and I got them back on feed ASAP.

Part of the survival problem is planted larger fish that haven't learned to subsist on wild feed vs. pellets. (Notice how starved the landlock brood fish become that are planted in Mass). For holdover healthy fish you're actually better planting smaller trout (6 to 8 inches or less) although if there are other predators present like bass, pickerel, pike, walleye etc. their numbers quickly dwindle.

BTW a lot of hatchery brook trout have disease issues -- even state and federal fish. It's common for them to test positive for IPN even though it may not effect them unless they are stressed. Furunculosis is also a common issue with brook trout. Stress them as in spawning time and boom they start dying off. That's one reason why a lot of state hatcheries have gone almost exclusively to hardier rainbows in the raceways. That and the rainbows give them a bigger bang for their buck as in faster growth.

Dispy

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Let's just ban trout fishing or at the very least, catch them using bobby pins.......lol just being sarcastic :laugh:
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2016, 08:59 PM »
Let's just ban trout fishing or at the very least, catch them using bobby pins.......lol just being sarcastic :laugh:

Well it all comes down to ignorance is bliss. I miss the days when I knew nothing about fish.  ;D

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2016, 05:36 AM »
Well it all comes down to ignorance is bliss. I miss the days when I knew nothing about fish.  ;D

I agree it was a lot cheaper too.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2016, 07:58 AM »
I agree it was a lot cheaper too.

For sure!

I remember buying fishing tackle with babysitting money! I was in seven heaven when I bought a $2.98 fishing reel!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.