FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A few trout, and a few more miles  (Read 1414 times)

zwiggles

A few trout, and a few more miles
« on: Oct 13, 2019, 06:52 PM »
I ventured out this afternoon with a few ideas of places to find some trout. Option A yielded two chubs, and very low water. Option B yielded a nice walk through new to me woods, and again very little flow. Options C & D were essentially drive bays that yielded the same lack of flowing water.

I was at least able to check these places off the list for next time. With daylight waning, and the flowing water seeming limited I cheated and went to a “remote” trout pond.  I Figured there must be ample water here.

After a short drive pondering why I left my float tube at home, and a short walk I was wading into ample amounts of cool water around 430pm. I missed a fish immediately and then walked the bank to where I hoped to find fish. A point with deep water adjacent to either side, and I waddled out to rising/surfacing fish with a few “wakes” that had baitfish jumping out in front of them.

It seemed the trout were doing laps around the pond as I caught one little brookie on a caddis and sent the fly back out only to see my “knot cheat sheet” floating away behind me. I went for the cheat sheet while keeping my eye on the fly and managed to land my lost booklet, and hook another trout.

After a quick picture I sent the fly out again, and this time I missed another one all in a few minutes. Then the activity stopped on the surface for the next 20 minutes in my area. Just as the I thought to tie on a new leader and throw a streamer I saw the action returning on the surface.

I got two more brook trout I’m quick succession followed by a small bluegill. One of the brook trout was considerably bigger than the others and put up a good fight:

I then missed the “fish of the night” when I casted my caddis all the way out into the middle of the pond. A poor hook set/line management resulted in missing a fish that left a boil which was considerably larger/more violent than any other I had seen.

Shortly after that as it got darker I spun up a lovely rats nest with my tapered leader, and decided to “hike” out with what light was left. My appetite for trout satiated for today, however I will be back here far more often next year.

Digs

Re: A few trout, and a few more miles
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Sounds like a great day good job!.... I'm hitting it hard tomorrow.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2019, 12:14 PM »
Nicely done!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Nice story Z! Great fish to go with it.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum