FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512801 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3060 on: Aug 05, 2019, 06:09 AM »
You really ought to plant a bunch this fall Ed. Just pick up some heads from your local farm market. I put mine in around the end of October and pile on the leaf mulch for the winter. They'll pop up right through the snow. I pull them earlier than some people do. About 4-6 weeks after they scape. And......I always cut the scapes off. Makes a huge difference in the size of the cloves.

Last year I bought a quart basket of loose cloves from my favorite stand for around $7. I sorted out the best for planting and used the rest for cooking. The stand I buy from is a family operation for many many years. They grow everything they sell. Berries, corn, all kinds of veggies, garlic.......you name it. It's a big operation with the best quality produce around. They employ a bunch of really nice kids every year to boot.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3061 on: Aug 07, 2019, 05:59 PM »

Nice pull tonight! First Maters of the year, a mountain of pickles, and what the heck are these 2, they came off my cuke vines.... Cross pollination?

drowndin dots

« Reply #3062 on: Aug 07, 2019, 06:04 PM »

Check out this mutant pickle, I'm gonna need a bigger jar..... :o

filetandrelease

« Reply #3063 on: Aug 07, 2019, 06:46 PM »

Only you Edd would come up with a strange veggie lol 😉

drowndin dots

« Reply #3064 on: Aug 07, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Only you Edd would come up with a strange veggie lol 😉
LOL  ;D

fishinator

« Reply #3065 on: Aug 07, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Those have got to be cumatoes. Tomaumber to hard to say.  ;D

drowndin dots

« Reply #3066 on: Aug 07, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Those have got to be cumatoes. Tomaumber to hard to say.  ;D
lol I'm stumped

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3067 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:10 AM »
Curious fruit there Ed. What's it look like inside?

I pulled a couple oversized pickles yesterday. Don't like them for Pickling, but they make great table fare. Next year it's nothing but garden bush pickles and maybe one or two slicers.

My poor tomatoes aren't doing well at all. The brown leaf spot fungus has all but wiped them out. I didn't get it in time. There's still fruit on most that may ripen ok, but, not good at all. I'm going to have to do some serious treatments after I pull them  and watch more closely in the spring. Makes me wish I had Don's Greenhouses at my disposal.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3068 on: Aug 08, 2019, 06:02 AM »
Ed what else did you have planted by them?
Cross pollination usually happens in the seeds the next year..  There are types of round cucumbers...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishinjohn

« Reply #3069 on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Curious fruit there Ed. What's it look like inside?

I pulled a couple oversized pickles yesterday. Don't like them for Pickling, but they make great table fare. Next year it's nothing but garden bush pickles and maybe one or two slicers.

My poor tomatoes aren't doing well at all. The brown leaf spot fungus has all but wiped them out. I didn't get it in time. There's still fruit on most that may ripen ok, but, not good at all. I'm going to have to do some serious treatments after I pull them  and watch more closely in the spring. Makes me wish I had Don's Greenhouses at my disposal.

Rg
Interesting that your tomatoes arent doing well.. my cherry tomatoes are absolutely UNBELIEVABLE  this year..
 however..Thats the ONLY vegetable that has done well for me.. I got some nice green peppers right off the bat..
Only got like 6 zucchini and maybe 6 or 7 yellow squash and 5 cucumbers. i have 6 zucchini plants.. 4 cucumber plant and 5 yellow squash plants..
Zuchinni yellow squash are dying.. cucumbers are already dead :cursing:

ronco

« Reply #3070 on: Aug 08, 2019, 09:12 AM »

Nice pull tonight! First Maters of the year, a mountain of pickles, and what the heck are these 2, they came off my cuke vines.... Cross pollination?

Those are lemon cucumbers, I've been growing those since I was little. They are more tender than regular cucumbers. When I pick them I wipe my hand on them to get the little black coffe grounds looking things on the outside off and eat them like an apple.
Here's a link. https://bonnieplants.com/product/lemon-cucumber/
The secret to fishing......is fish where the fish are

earlyice

« Reply #3071 on: Aug 08, 2019, 09:28 AM »

Those are lemon cucumbers, I've been growing those since I was little. They are more tender than regular cucumbers. When I pick them I wipe my hand on them to get the little black coffe grounds looking things on the outside off and eat them like an apple.
Here's a link. https://bonnieplants.com/product/lemon-cucumber/

Beat me to it! I grow some lemon cucumbers every year...love them. I usually let them get a little deeper color before picking (mostly yellow with some orange color mixed in). I eat them the same as Ronco..just like an apple

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3072 on: Aug 08, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Ok that's what I was going to suggest but if he didn't plant the seeds or plants where did they come from?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

« Reply #3073 on: Aug 08, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Ed what else did you have planted by them?
Cross pollination usually happens in the seeds the next year..  There are types of round cucumbers...
pickles and tomatos Dom, I'm gonna have to pay attention to that vine. Might be a seed got mixed in ....

ronco

« Reply #3074 on: Aug 08, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Ok that's what I was going to suggest but if he didn't plant the seeds or plants where did they come from?

Maybe the seed company mixed up the seeds, lemon cucumbers with regular cucumbers. I planted pumpkin seeds one year from a store bought package, what grew were small gourds with worts.
The secret to fishing......is fish where the fish are

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.