FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Off Season: Frabill 14 ice bib or Striker Climate??? Updated  (Read 3090 times)

CLAMFARMER

Well, it’s that time of year I start looking at gear for hard water.

I think I’m going with the Striker climate bib. I like the Frabill 14 though too. Any experience advice on which I should get? Both seem pretty well like top of the line. Neither are available right now, like some other stuff I looked at.

I did buy an Arctic Armor Jacket. I like the colors.  8) :thumbup_smilie:
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

9huskies

Re: Off Season: Frabill 14 ice bib or Striker Climate???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2018, 08:05 PM »
I wouldn't buy either of them. No proprietary waterproof breathable works as well or lasts as long as Gore-Tex. Get the real thing. Also, I prefer an uninsulated outer shell. Getting my insulation from the base and mid layers gives more flexibility for varying temperatures.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Here’s what some NYS guys say: Well, it’s that time of year I start looking at gear for hard water.
I think I’m going with the Striker climate bib. I like the Frabill 14 though too. Any experience advice on which I should get? Both seem pretty well like top of the line. Neither are available right now, like some other stuff I looked at.
I did buy an Arctic Armor Jacket. I like the colors.
30 Comments
Show more reactions
Comment
Comments
Rich Pickles
Rich Pickles I have both the Striker parka and bibs.Best investment I've made,top notch gear IMHO.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 17h

Joe Porada replied · 2 Replies
Bill Riley
Bill Riley The only problem with striker ice is that it is too warm. Seriously i fished 9 below in just bibs and sweat pants.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 16h

Bill Riley replied · 10 Replies
Joe Porada
Joe Porada I have an older Blue Ice Armour Suite for less extreme adventures. It’s getting a bit tired, but still a good suite.
Manage
Jason Leon
Jason Leon Ive got a striker ice preditor suit its definitely worth the $ very warm my 10 year old has the frabill i float suit thats also nice but kinda heavy and bulky
Manage
Joe Porada
Joe Porada Thanks Guys! I think I will go with the Striker Climate bib. Probably overkill, but I’ll suffer through it. ;) None available right now. As soon they come out, I’ll have one. :)
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 10h · Edited
John Jay Wirth
John Jay Wirth I went cheap n the Eskimo parka will be on the door step when I get home - will let u know in a few hrs
Manage

Bill Riley replied · 1 Reply
Mike Ferstler
Mike Ferstler I have the climate, it’s an awesome suit. The interior layer can be removed for warmer days. I never tested it out but it floats too.
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 14h

Nick Wehrlin replied · 4 Replies · 9 hrs
Rich Pickles
Rich Pickles Joe Porada Do you take an XL by any chance?? https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/.../prod999.../cat114707
Manage

SPORTSMANSWAREHOUSE.COM
Striker Ice Climate Bib | Sportsman's Warehouse
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 12h

Joe Porada replied · 1 Reply
Roy Pierce
Roy Pierce I got striker works great
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 11h
Mike Juneau
Mike Juneau Just get the matching Artic Armor got my suit last year and it's like wearing a shanty
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 11h

Thomas Boniecki replied · 1 Reply
Derek Pisik
Derek Pisik Striker has not let me down yet
Manage
LikeShow more reactions · Reply · 29m
Joe Porada
Write a com
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2018, 05:36 AM »
I wouldn't buy either of them. No proprietary waterproof breathable works as well or lasts as long as Gore-Tex. Get the real thing. Also, I prefer an uninsulated outer shell. Getting my insulation from the base and mid layers gives more flexibility for varying temperatures.

I do agree to a degree. Deer hunting is a good example. On the ice though, I do a lot of running and gunning and kneeling on the ice. I want an extreme suit along with the Ice Armour i have now.

9huskies

« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Running and gunning is why I don't like insulated bibs or shells. Most have too much insulation if you're moving and generating heat. With uninsulated outer shells I can use layering to get the right amount of insulation.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Personally, I think the Striker CLIMATE is way too warm! I got the Striker PREDATOR and it is PERFECT for me!  8)

I have several friends that have the CLIMATE and they always complain they are sweating!  ::)

IMHO, the PREDATOR is the way to go. If it is warm or I am moving around a lot, I wear the bibs with a sweatshirt. If it is colder or I plan to sit in one spot jigging I go with the bibs and parka. If it is REALLY cold(below zero) then I add a layer underneath.

The PREDATOR is the most versatile suit IMHO!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Personally, I think the Striker CLIMATE is way too warm! I got the Striker PREDATOR and it is PERFECT for me!  8)

I have several friends that have the CLIMATE and they always complain they are sweating!  ::)

IMHO, the PREDATOR is the way to go. If it is warm or I am moving around a lot, I wear the bibs with a sweatshirt. If it is colder or I plan to sit in one spot jigging I go with the bibs and parka. If it is REALLY cold(below zero) then I add a layer underneath.

I cannot say from personal experience but I have to agree with this statement. I do own the Striker Hardwater bibs and jacket and absolutely love them but they are useless when its over 50 because they are so warm. I do have to say that opening the zippers in "warmer" weather definitely helps though because I run and gun jigging and I am fine. Its just those really warm days that make you sweat.
Wicked Wec

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:44 PM »

This may well be the right answer. While I would wear other gear on warm days, it is true I would not likely be fishing on really nasty cold days. Thanks! The Predator is cheaper too!  I also have an older Blue Ice Armour suit.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Good Luck Clamfarmer! I don’t think you will be disappointed in the Predators!

I just googled Striker Ice and noticed Walmart has the Predator Bibs for $125 online. That’s a good deal.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Ordered the Predator from Gander Mountain for $157. The walmart thing was only 4x. Still a good deal and I know who to blame.  :w00t: :thumbup_smilie:

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2018, 09:45 PM »
$157 is still a great deal! I think I got mine for $200 a couple years ago at Gander.

CLAMFARMER

Re: Off Season: Update To Winter Wardrobe
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2018, 06:28 AM »
It all floats. I intend NEVER to try that feature out.  8)

seamonkey84

Re: Off Season: Frabill 14 ice bib or Striker Climate??? Updated
« Reply #12 on: Sep 02, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Do those count as a PFD in a boat? Good to have either way spring and fall.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

PK186

« Reply #13 on: Sep 02, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I love my Striker Ice coat and bibs. First set of bibs tore in the crotch and they promptly sent me a new pair no charge. Now I have two bibs.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Do those count as a PFD in a boat? Good to have either way spring and fall.

No, most of them are not recognized by the Coast Guard as a PFD. I think only one suit IS approved as a PFD, but I cannot remember who makes it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.