FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: hybrid brown?  (Read 11443 times)

ams

Re: hybrid brown?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18 AM »
Pic is not from maine. I found it online in an article about brown trout, so I assume it is a brown trout.

grasspikerel

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 12:18 PM »
What article?  The short mouth, quick taper to tail, dark red spots between parr marks are all salmon characteristics. When I used to work on a salmon program I eventually felt comfortable distinguishing them with the overall look.  Sometimes there is some over lap in general appearance though.  Over the winter there was a fishing tournament and several salmon were entered in the brown trout catagory as the wardens could not distuinguish the two. So it's a common difficulty.

dickbaker

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Grass,   You mentioned the swirling white lines and vermiculations on a Tiger Trout.   Can you find a picture of a Tiger Trout parr?   I can't and I wonder if they might have brown trout or brook trout parr markings rather than the adult Tiger markings?   
Dick

Fish Farmer

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 08:48 PM »
I'd say the first photo, bottom fish is a brown with parr marks or maybe even a rainbow with parr marks, hard to tell without a better photo.

It doesn't look like the tigers I've seen, by that size, even by four inches you can tell, irregular vermiculations along the sides.

The other picture is definately a salmon parr, head gives it away, short upper jaw doesn't exptend past the eye, BIG eye. I've caught a few in my day.

dickbaker

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Thanks Grass,   I guess tiger trout parr still have the wavy white lines and vermiculations.  So First picture is probably brown trout parr and second is probably atlantic salmon parr.

Dick

grasspikerel

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Yup, I'm pretty sure.

Earlybird

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 04:03 PM »
My guess is, it's just a brown with unusual parr markings that stayed longer than usual. It's not a tiger, as I've caught plenty of them and they look nothing like that fish, even the young ones. Immature Atlantic salmon look very much like a young brown, but the jaw is different and the tail is obviously deeply forked. They are also very slender when young.

EB
Take a kid fishing!

Rapala

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Not a tiger, just a brookie.

grasspikerel

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Not a tiger, just a brookie.

No, brookies never have black spots. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum