FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Water Pump Cost  (Read 307 times)

Phoenix

Water Pump Cost
« on: May 04, 2024, 05:39 AM »
Had to have the water pump impeller replaced on my 2002 Honda 15hp. $168.00! Does this sound normal or was I bamboozled?

fishinator

Re: Water Pump Cost
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 05:46 AM »
Thats probably about right. Especially this time of year. Just do it yourself next time. If you have any mechanical ability and youtube it will save you some money. Impeller itself is about 20 bucks. You can get the entire OEM water pump for about $40.

Baydog

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 04:38 PM »
That sounds about right....Fairly simple job, but does take a bit of time including a water test.
FWIW, Honda outboards do not like to even be pulled over dry let alone run dry. Especially after sitting for a while....

Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 05:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I was going to try to do it myself and looked at a couple youtube videos. The hard part seemed to be putting the lower unit back together. Ten years ago I might have attempted it, but now if I can stand for more than a few minutes I'm lucky.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I was going to try to do it myself and looked at a couple youtube videos. The hard part seemed to be putting the lower unit back together. Ten years ago I might have attempted it, but now if I can stand for more than a few minutes I'm lucky.

Do what you WANT to do, not what you feel that you have to do.
Fishing, not fixing.

Unless fixing is what you want to do of course.

Develop a good relationship with your marine service person(s).
Take him/her/them donuts when you show up.
You take the extra time to get to know them, and they will get to know you.
Treat them with dignity and respect and they will take awesome care of you.
This goes a long way; especially when you drop off the boat the day before 4th of July weekend and there are a dozen other boats and motors ahead of you.
Be the guy they are happy to see walking through the door.

Now...........go fishing!

Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 05:16 AM »
I've been going to this shop for about forty years. I've known the current owner/operator since he was running around the shop in diapers. I stop to visit his father at his house most every time I go to town. I like to think I'm on good terms with them.

I guess I was just shocked at the cost of the repair, things really have gone up in the past year or two.

gotagetm

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 05:30 AM »
I think 168$ to have a pump put in and know it's done right ...is not a bad price at all
Imo
Ben

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 07:43 AM »
Yea Ben.
Amazon has the pump for $20.
Guy marks it up to make a little profit on the materials.
And let's say he gets $100/hr for his labor, which is quite low these days.
And I'm not sure that I could do the job in an hour.....or 3 hrs for that matter.
Then there is tax.

I agree with you that $168 for the job isn't out of the question.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 09:03 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised at that bill at all.

Steve H.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 12:21 PM »
Labor costs are sky high.  Understandably, everyone wants to get paid well these days with inflation how it is.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

gamefisher

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 12:33 PM »
Labor costs are sky high.  Understandably, everyone wants to get paid well these days with inflation how it is.

Yup, the bigger the operation the more they charge to cover.  I was just charged $40 something for 15 minutes labor on a Tundra Friday so getting ever closer to $200 an hour!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.