FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!  (Read 286839 times)

Pequod1

Re: Panfish Maniacs !!!!!
« Reply #1500 on: Aug 06, 2019, 07:33 PM »
My favorite kind of fishing right there.  Nice catch.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #1501 on: Aug 06, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Raq...man those are nice...be a couple months around here for them. Nice fillet job too.

Nah can go catch a boat full of them right now in our back yard

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1502 on: Aug 22, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Never trolled much for anything.  Giving it an honest try this fall.  Certainly the key to some big gills today.  Kept a bunch to share with my neighbor.  All suspended way out over deep water.  Wasn't just a boring boat ride today.

Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #1503 on: Aug 22, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Nice...what were you trolling with....I've been castng for gills in deeperwarwith small plastis and doing well.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #1504 on: Aug 23, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Nice...what were you trolling with....I've been castng for gills in deeperwarwith small plastis and doing well.
I tied some small worm harnesses with #6 hooks, small beads, and spinner blades.  See the picture.  Live crawlers, Gulp, and plastics all scored big. 3/4 oz weight, 4 ft. leader, over 25 fow.  Frankly, I am amazed at how simple and successfully this worked.  Also caught a bunch of nuisance fish.  Largemouth, smallmouth, pykruls, crappie, perch and even 2 big bullheads.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

icejohn

« Reply #1505 on: Aug 23, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Wow very interesting....will have to try that....good way to find and catch gills during the warm summer months....thanks for sharing
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #1506 on: Aug 23, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Isn’t it interesting how mid summer and mid winter are similar with fish locations? They’re suspended over the deep water basins.  I was surprised to be catching smallmouth bass and a bluegill suspended 10-15ft down while fishing in 40-50 deep water. We were trolling leadcore and sinking fly line for trout when we started catching 7-9” bass left and right. Though when I’m targeting the bigger gills mid summer, I’ll usually throw plastics on jighead out to deeper holes and pockets, let it sink, and work it back to the boat.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

icejohn

« Reply #1507 on: Aug 24, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Yea sea...that's what I've been doing recently for gills lately but the trolling for gills like size has been doing really sounds interesting so I've tied up some smaller harnesses and will try that...sounds like fun.

icejohn

« Reply #1508 on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Got some perch a few gills and a13" smally today...the perch on plastic crawfish....9 to 13" perch...mostly 11-12"..nice haul.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1509 on: Aug 26, 2019, 05:37 AM »
Nice job John...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Pequod1

« Reply #1510 on: Aug 26, 2019, 07:31 AM »
You have that bay dialed in. Nice catch. 

icejohn

« Reply #1511 on: Aug 26, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Thanks guys...that was 5.5# fillets with the bass and gills.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1512 on: Aug 26, 2019, 09:45 AM »
I used to get alot of gills drifting a worm harness on good year lake ..works really well

icejohn

« Reply #1513 on: Aug 26, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Yea big guy....we still do that on Cayuga lake out of union springs with great results.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1514 on: Sep 01, 2019, 06:39 AM »
i can't get on a decent panfish bite!  ice john even tried to help me out ....worse week I have had all year .....don't worry john i'll keep trying lol
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.