FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Scarriest Thing that Happened" offshoot: "Most Nasty Fishing Injury?"  (Read 4451 times)

fishryc

The "Scariest" thread got me to thinking about how I, and I'm sure many others, consider angling a pretty safe sport to partake in as far as injuries are concerned.
 You don't break a leg as in downhill skiing, you don't break an ankle as in parachuting, you don't get severe road rash as in mountain biking, etc.
  Anyway, I've experienced some significant wounds over the years while persuing a few fish.
 Worst one was at Lake Chautauqua back in the 80's. I was at that time a retail manager of a two branch paint and wallcovering company. I had to be there until 5PM every day and would drive the 120 miles each way after work to Lake Chautauqua, fish until about 11PM, head home, clean crappies until 3AM, then be at work at 7:30AM and do it all over again the next day. (Wish I was that young and durable again these days!!)
 Anyway, the spring and fall crappie runs were of warm days and cool nights.
 One time, I pulled on a pair of military fatigues over my "Drive to Chautauqua" short pants with a loose Quickfish in my side pouch pocket.
 I assume that you can all guess that one of its trebles deeply pierced my upper thigh. I cut the fabric around it and removed the fatigues. There sat a single barb of the treble completely buried in my flesh.
 Resolution? (And after driving 120 miles to fish and with no other option besides going to a hospital). Force the barb back up through my leg meat in order to cut off the barb containing portion of the hook.
 When I yanked the fatigues on, it was so fast that, and although it hurt like He**, that I could not react from the pain. It got sunk!
 BUT, to force the hook back up through and out of my leg meat, was an indescribable agony :o.
 It took me about 5 minutes to get through this operation!!

Anyway, I got it pushed through, cut it off, and then fished!

Another one, not experienced by myself, but by a good fishing friend:

Back in the late 1970's it was legal in NY State to snag salmon. We used what was called "Michigan Cricket's"; a 4/0 treble hook with 2 ounces of lead molded around and behind it.
 Well, my friend Steve had a snag and jerked it free, only for it to foul up in the shrubs on the steep bank of the Lower Niagara River that was behind us. (This was at the same spot that we fished last year before the Wilson Gun Raffle, for those that were present).
 Well, he managed to yank it free of the shrubs right into the back of his head! Only one barb was stuck, but this very thick hook and barb were buried. He was as white as Casper the Ghost from the agony, and I really thought that he was gonna drop.
 Anyway, it was a 45 minute walk out that turned into a 3 hour trek to get out of the Niagara Gorge with him holding the Cricket in place and from moving as this would cause excruciating agony if it were allowed to move.
 When we got to the hospital for extraction, and with his agreement and that of the hospital staff, I was allowed to go in with him into the Emergencey Room in order to observe the extraction.
 The doc said for him to release his immobilizing grip on the hook. Within 3 seconds, this doc grabbed the thing with some pliers and ABRUBTLY YANKED IT OUT!! No Novocaine, no warning, no nothing!! His scalp stretched out about an inch and it sounded like a rubber band breaking when the Cricket pulled free!
 He screamed like a Banshee and I nearly needed a barf bag!!
 A few stitches and a tetanus shot later, we were ready to attack the kings on the next day..................
 I still do, as does he, have to laugh about this unfortunate day from our youth...... (30 years ago)

S

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

BAZOOKAJOE

WOW!!   :o  Good stories!!   :sick:

hunters08

those are good stories and bring back a few unusual memories from when i was a kid. Thanks a bunch!!!
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
I'm guessing many of us have had the hook in past the barb.  I had mine in that web of skin between the thumb and pointer finger.

I wasn't around when it happened, but my dad had one treble on a flatfish in his hand while the other was still in a salmon on a river in Michigan.  His partner literally sat on the fish to keep it from moving.  They couldn't reach pliers to cut the hook until another boat came by and handed them a pair.

mrwalleye

i caught a huge largemouth on a bass stopper magnum worm.  i had it on the dock, and went to grab it by the lip, and the thing flopper up in the air, and one of the loose hooks buried itself inot the top of my middle finger.  the hook was so deep, you couldnt even see the bend in the hook, and the whole time this huge largemouth is flopping around all crazy like.  i ahppened to have a cig in my mouth, so i held the bass around its underbelly. and burned the worm in half, safely removed the hook from the fish, and released him.  that doctor had to crank the hook the rest of the way through my finger, man that hurt

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
I was fishing Lake Moraine and was doing well on bass and pickerel.  I catch this a fat 4# largemouth on a senko, and go to lip it...I'm not really sure what happened, but the fish shook hard when I got my hand near its mouth...it popped the hook out and jammed the point of the hook THROUGH MY THUMB AND OUT MY THUMB NAIL!  :pinch: It was so quick that I didn't even really feel it, until I touched the hook ever so slightly.  To make matters worse, I didn't have wire cutters in the boat that day (left the Leatherman in the truck), so I had to use my pliars (without cutters...doh!) to crush the barb.  Getting it out sucked, but I eventually did, and fished for another couple hours...Boy-o-boy, that REALLY hurt...

-Zach

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
I tried to lip a northern duh!!!!!!!!!!!! :-X :-X :-X
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

SleePac

Jiggin' Rap through the fat meaty part of my finger early one morning on the ice with a couple of buddies.  Those sons-a-bee-achiz will never let me live it down.  That sucked.  The options were few.  "Pop it through the other side and cut and reverse" method or the local e-room that wasn't too far away.  It was so freakin' cold and rainy I decided to go the e-room route.  Those bone-heads asked the doctor if they could watch the procedure, too.  Something sick and demented about that but....I would've done it too.   ;D  Anyhow, the whole thing was done before I knew it and we were eatin' breakfast within about an hour.  Then...the bills started coming in.  My wife said if she was with us she would've given me a shot of whiskey - block of wood to bite down on - and yanked.....stupid mis-hap cost me a couple hundy.  Enough for a new power auger.....that's for sure!  Oh well....lesson learned.

As we left the emergency room, I saw the tool that the doctor used to back the hook out with and my buddy gave me the ole....I'll cover you while you hock it look.  It's now in my tacklebox just waiting to be used again!   ::)

TR19

1992, Saratoga Lake, Pike TX. 7am - 3pm
My partner & I were both throwing Mann's Minus 1's, they nice big ones with 3 trebles on them.   7:45 am a wayward cast by my partner puts the minus 1 into the side of my head. Bad enough, but he swings for the fences a second time. After I start screaming, Jeff comes over and looks at the damages.

Treble #1 clean through my ear lobe
Treble #2 clean through the top cartlidge of my ear.
Treble #3 is through my baseball hat and firmly stuck into my scull !!!!!

Now comes the question..... What do we do? call it a day & go get this taken care of? That's not the right answer.... Cut the line & keep fishing!!!!

Weigh in at 3:00, have Dr. Dwight (fellow fisherman at the TX) look at. He says get to the ER NOW!!!!!!

45 minutes later, 4 shots of novacaine & 6 stiches later I was Twitch bait free.

By the way, we finished 2nd in the Tx that day. (at least the winnings paid for the ER visit.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Took my mother in law for a ride when I was going to pick up some spinnerbaits.  She loves anything gold and reached up to feel a particularly shiny gold spinner blade hanging on a rack on top of the tallest shelf.  She felt a stick and jerked her hand back.  Yes, buried that 5/0 hook to the bone.  After we calmed her down, we got her loose from the top rack and took her to the EMT station up the road,spinnerbait and all.  They wouldn't touch it.  One of the guys knew a local Dr and he called him at home.  The doc met us at his office and had to surgically remove the spinnerbait.  She insisted I take her back to the bait shop to pay for the spinnerbait.  Gave it me and was one of my best till a Striper made off with it.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

keva

A hook from a blue fox spinner in my middle finger. Lost it on a tree earlier that week and decided to wade across the stream while fishing a few days later to get it. Tree branch broke in half with the falling piece entangled in the line. The lure was in my finger before I had time to react. I then cut the line, unsnagged my friends lure crossed back over, showed it to them, tried working it out, got light headed, tied the lure to my finger, and kept fishing. Two hours later went to the ER with my mom and since she worked there she helped out to give a doctor time to take it out. No charge!

zooker

• member of the yadkin chain gang
running about 65 mph one morning -not in my boat- the driver trimmed it a tad high big gust of wind got under the nose. she went way up. the driver freaked an yanked her hard over. the boat basicly spun out- thats does a 360 in 5 feet of space -. at about 65 mph i got ejected into the lake-at least it was summer-it was sad to say the last time i fished with this guy..

yeah think water is soft to land on try again it is like hitting cement. 

zooker   

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
not me but a fishing buddy had this happen this year.

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
OUCH!

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
I got a nice hook through the palm of my hand a few years ago while fishing for stripers with cut bait. Big hook, I'm not totally sure of the size, but it was big enough to enter my palm, and somehow, it rolled around a bone in my hand, and the, managed to set the barb against the bone. Didn't hurt until I touched it, and when the doc pushed that novacane needle into my hand. :( Little bit of surgery and alot of wiggling later, out it came, with a bit of muscle and alot of blood. It was nasty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.