FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Scarriest Thing that Happened" offshoot: "Most Nasty Fishing Injury?"  (Read 4452 times)

oldken

• oldken
i didn't get a hook in my own finger but my buddy got one in his. we went to the er and a dr took it out. at the same time he showed us how to best remove a hook. wind a strong corc or mono around the hook in the bend.  hold hook in a straight line the way it went in. give a sharp tug on the line and out comes the hook. since then i have removed5 hooks from fishermen. they said it hurt very little and thanked me over and over. the doc also said don't push the hook through because that only makes another hole. use the one already there.  old ken

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
yeah think water is soft to land on try again it is like hitting cement. 

zooker   

You ever wonder how a 100 Ton Aircraft carrier floats? Water is quite Dense.

Mike

kerosenecounty17

I must be really lucky.  20+ years fishing and I've never had a hook in past the barb.

My worst was when a 34" + or - pike managed to clamp down on my hand while I was trying to unhook her at the side of the boat.  I had the leader in my hand and she made one of those last minute rushes that they tend to do.  Her mouth was open and my hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Instinctively I suppose, she clamped down on my hand and started thrashing around.  Somehow the 2 trebles on the crankbait in her mouth missed me.  Didn't hurt a bit, but there sure was a hell of a lot of blood (all mine) by the time I got her unhooked and back in the water.  I've gutted deer where I made less of a mess. 

kc17

MXFisher

• One more cast!
Twice I've got a hook on a stickbait buried in my hand with a fish flipping out on one of the other hooks. First time I was with my parents and we were guests on one of there friends boats. I was the only one fishing the other four were just relaxing. I caught a bass and when I got hooked, I let a full tirade of highly offensive words and phrase's fly ;) ;D. The second time it happened was 2nd day of pike season this year, I was fishing with Casey, again highly offensive words and phrase's flying but a much different reaction the second time. He laughed :P and handed me a beer 8)
Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

FarginIcehole

i have been to the er twice for stitches but they were both deer related.gutting a deer and making the blind reach to cut the jugular,gave me 7 stitches,and once while skinning gave me 5. my own blood sure does make me woozy.

Capt. Travis

Some painful stories you guys have put up here!   Here are a couple more to feed the pain monster….

It was December of 2003 and we where fishing of the coast of North Carolina.    We had a giant blue fine tuna hooked up and nearly at leader.    The mate, a good friend of mine grabbed the leader and took his wraps.   Very soon he had leadered the large blue fin tight to the transom.    Everybody took their pictures and looked at this fish.   We estimated it at around 450 lbs.   When everybody was finished, I bent over the transom with a pair of scissors in order to cut the 400lb test leader and release the fish.    As I reached down with the scissors I saw the hook creating a triangle of flesh in the corner of the fishes mouth.   The hook was tearing out.   Just before I cut the leader the hook did indeed pull out of the fishes mouth.   The mono was stretched so tight from the strain that it shot the hook back towards the mate’s hands.    It hit his hand then bounced and hit mine.    With the fish free we both stood up and proceeded to shake hands.    As we did so, Marty, the mate winced and a terrible look of pain etched itself on his face.     I asked him what was wrong.    He pulled off the heavy welding glove that he had used while leadering the fish.    His middle and pointer finger where massively swollen and purple.    As we where inspecting his broken fingers he look at me and said “ Hey man are you all right?”…   “Yea I’m fine, why?”     He pointed down at the deck by my feet where a large puddle of blood was forming.    Upon further inspection I found a large cut across the back of my hand where the hook had ricochet and hit me.    Laid me open.   I hadn’t even felt in happen.    One large hook had enough power coming out of that fish’s mouth to break two of his fingers and cut my hand open…    Go figure.     We went on to catch several more tuna that day all of them over 400 lbs.   

Fast forward to the summer of 2006 of the coast of Maryland.    We where fishing the Poor Girls Open tournament.   An all woman angler tourney held out of Ocean City, Maryland.     We had a large tuna hooked up and an inexperienced female angler was on the rod.    She fought the fish for 2 hours and then fell victim to the heat and exhaustion.    She passed right out in the fighting chair.     Since rod transfers are not allowed under tourney rules we had no choice but to try and revive her to continue the fight.    After some ice, cold water and a mighty pep talk she recovered and resumed the fight.   After a total of 5 hours the leader came up.     I got wraps on the leader and got a gaff into the fish.    We hit it with a second gaff and hauled it onto the boat.   Turns out it was a 120lb blue fin tuna.    As everybody was celebrating the catch, I started to position the fish to get it into the fish box so we could make the run to the weigh in.    As I stepped over the fish it made one gigantic flop on the deck hitting me in the knees.    I swiped my feet right out from under me and I fell to the deck.    As I hit the deck, I felt a searing pain shoot up my leg.    When I looked down my leg, I discovered that my foot had dragged over the gaff that was protruding from the fishes head and the point had entered my ankle just below the ball and just above my shoe.    It then exited my ankle just above the ball.    Nothing like having a ¼ “ diameter steel shaft looped through your leg.    I had to pull a creative and very painful spin move to free my leg from the gaff and the fish…    Made it back to the scales with the fish in time to take our prize and get our check…   All I can say is ouch!
You know that tickle in the bottom of your stomach when the land fades to a thin black sliver and winks out of sight altogether.... Yea, I'll have some more of that.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Wow, there have been some nasty injuries in this post.

I have been very fortunate so-far in my fishing, touch wood.
As in the other post my mom cut her finger bad on a filleting knife and I had to do the patch up job.  :P

I have been bit by pike a few times and jabbed by walleye spines and minor pokes with few hooks.
This spring I was shore fishing and hooked a 4 lb walleye in my rush to go fishing I forgot to bring the net so when I hooked the fish I fought it into the shallows, and proseeded to wrapped the fireline around my hand and hoisted it on to the beach well mid way through the lift the walleye decided to flop around and the fireline cut fairly deep into my middle finger, not deep enough for stitches but deep enough to bleed quite a bit.
lesson learned, don't forget the net and don't wrap fireline or any line around your hands. ::)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.