FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 1 man canoe  (Read 2943 times)

Seedtree

1 man canoe
« on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Do any of you float rivers by yourself with a canoe?  I have an old Coleman scanoe, that works well with 2 guys, but the stern seat is way back.  With myself, this makes the canoe back heavy and front lite.  Makes manuvering tough, even when I put weight up front.  It seems it would be more stable to have a seat that sets more towards the middle of the canoe. 

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

AquaAssassin

Re: 1 man canoe
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:06 PM »
I took a milk crate and cut slots in both sides so that it drops down over the cross bar in the middle and it sits in the water perfect. maneuvering is a piece of cake just like a kayak now. It is a 12' radisson. hope that helps.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

pennreels

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Pick up an  Old Town Pack canoe.  It is made for one person.  Very nice boat.  Another option is to purchase some hard foam(rubber,Styrofoam) or some other material, make it wide enough to sit on and cut it to fit under the middle thwart.  You might be able to purchase on at a canoe store.  They are used for white water canoeing/racing.

crazy man

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I have floated many a time in my solo canoe, that is, a canoe designed for solo use with the seat in the middle.  I have done many multi day river trips.  Canoeing and camping go together and some of the best campsites are only available from a canoe.   Many river campsites are not listed on any maps they are just there. 

The design of a true solo canoe has it narrower in the middle so that the paddler can more easily reach the water.  They come in various lengths including 17 feet long, just as long as a tandem canoe.  A two person canoe is called a tandem.  

With a tandem canoe, the commonest solution is to sit in the bow seat facing toward the stern, backwards.  This put you closer to the middle of the canoe than sitting in the stern.  This can be a problem if you have those molded seats. Since a canoe is symmetrical it can be paddled equally well in either direction.  

The middle of a tandem canoe has a cross brace called the yoke.  The yoke would prevent you from sitting or paddling from the middle unless it is removed in which case you can kneel and paddle or improvise a seat.  Most yokes but not all are removable, you lose a bit of strength with the yoke removed  but this is no problem unless you have rapids.  

There are a number of seats out there that fit in the middle but Spring Creek Outfitters makes the best, see link.  This company manufactures  this canoeing item as well as many others.  They also are a extremely good source for used canoes and offer a selection of items exclusively designed for fishing from a canoe.  They are canoe outfitters, which is unique, so give them a look. They will let you make winter payments on the used or new canoe of your choice!

http://store.springcreek.com/Seats/Seats/Spring-Creek-s-Drop-In-Seat-With-clamps-p1577.html    

So...that's what you do if yu want to use your existing canoe. If you like to canoe a lot then you can consider a solo canoe.  It's not so easy to find a used solo canoe  but of course there are many choices for new ones. Minnesota is the canoeing capital of the world and  If you come to MN in the autumn you will have your choice of used canoes maybe even a few solos.  All boats, canoes included, are for sale in the fall  ::)

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2010, 07:33 AM »
I run my 17' old town by myself all the time.  Not a problem unless the wind is real rough.  I place weight in the front as you do, but when traveling long distances or trolling I kneel just forward of the stern seat.  That makes a world of difference put your center of gravity much more towards the bottom of the boat, and more towards the middle.  Knowing how to paddle helps also, not sure how experienced you are, but you should learn how to do the j stroke.  This will save you from switching sides every 3-4 strokes  to track straight and can help in rougher water when paddle strokes must be quicker and done more often

canoeist

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2010, 04:27 PM »
You might try snap-in canoe seat, kneeling in the center also works when manuveuring or fighting wind.   

greensider

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2010, 05:40 PM »
i have a 12 foot radison practily live in it 29 pounds very wide and stable with the foam seats can fit 1 or 2 will float 500 pounds and has oar locks so it padles like a row boat

Seedtree

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2010, 10:30 PM »
Great ideas!  Thanks, I will definitely order up a seat to sit more forward of the stern.

Thanks.

pirkaus

• Have you ever been too drunk to fish?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2010, 04:35 AM »
I used a 17 ft aluminum canoe for years by sitting backwards in the front seat. 
I used a trolling motor and put the battery forward of me.   
The only time I had problems was when it was real windy.
Pirk
If the rule is 5 fish or 5 pounds, what if the 5th fish weighs 5 pounds?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.