FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: need reservoir tips  (Read 1040 times)

jacksgp

need reservoir tips
« on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Hey guys, need some advice..... Down here in Putnam county we have Great fishing in NYC reservoirs. No motors of any kind are allowed and because of this different methods of fishing need to be employed. I,m new to walleye fishing and most articles and shows on TV center around trolling with planer boards or others methods usually associated with a motor. Any suggestions for rowboat fishing? The reservoir (Boyd's) is 35ft at max and holds nice walleyes but we have yet to figure a way to make regular catches. Tried everything it seems and do catch an occasional fish but would like to improve...Thanks!!!

biggeorge50

Re: need reservoir tips
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:14 PM »
In Oswego harbor they troll worm harnesses by rowing (after dark mostly) and have very good luck.  Jigs should also work.  In my experience, the new Gulp works as well as or better than nightcrawlers, and lasts a lot longer.
I know enough, I just can't think of most of it.

dawgchaser

« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:29 PM »
              Stick baits (Rapalas & Thundersticks) early and late in the day or bouncing 1/8-1/4 oz.                             
               jigs, tipped if needed.(worms, minnows, leeches etc.) Also, the spinner worm rig works
               good if you have a little breeze you can drift.

arthur

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I'm no expert, and I don't get to fish for them often---maybe if I get a boat for Diverting, I will more....

Are you locating fish? If you are confident that you are over them, I'd jig with grubs, chartruse, white, white w/chart tail, and black at night. If you have to, take off the grubs and add shiners, alewives, or leeches on the same jig heads (1/8-1/4.

I would also troll stickbaits. Get out in low light....and try to find out where Tony Monteiro is fishing. LOL.

I will be trying a new method next month: Mepps Longcast spinners (large and very heavy) with the single hook. I'll throw a grub on those and either cast them or slow troll them. I fished that way in Czech last month and managed some nice Walleye cousins (Zander) over there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.