FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: wheres the sebago derby results  (Read 3912 times)

fishlessman

wheres the sebago derby results
« on: Sep 10, 2018, 02:37 PM »
not many boats on the big bay this weekend, any big fish

stguy

Re: wheres the sebago derby results
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:02 PM »
Just over 100 people registered, around 40 boats, biggest fish was 4.25 pounds caught by Jim Ficket, he fishes out of snug harbor over in your area a lot in a nice new Roballo with a hard top, not sure what the total count was, I'll find out tomorrow night at the SBLAA meeting.

The wind was brutal both mornings and probably scared a few people away.

fishlessman

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:18 PM »
i never saw more than 12 boats with the binocs, seemed everyone kept moving.  the wind was moving bait balls up top in the worst areas.  i can still feel the boat rock.  Saturday morning was really brutal. things look like they are setting up for the fall

stguy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2018, 03:38 PM »
We left Harmon's beach at 5:30 Saturday and couldn't figure out what all the returns on the radar were, turned the lights on and they were white caps between the point and Frye island, rounded the point and the waves came over the bow of my boat and boy was I liking the Alaska  package on my boat.

Pretty much had to fish north and south and put the bags out going south

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Couldnt make the tournament this year but fished Sunday afternoon with one of my girls. The lake laid out really flat, the sun got hot, and the salmon went crazy for anything bright trolled fast at about 30 feet down. Finished up the day at the cafe with some pizza and beers and it sure felt like fall. The lake was quiet as the visitors have retreated to the cities.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Couldnt make the tournament this year but fished Sunday afternoon with one of my girls. The lake laid out really flat, the sun got hot, and the salmon went crazy for anything bright trolled fast at about 30 feet down. Finished up the day at the cafe with some pizza and beers and it sure felt like fall. The lake was quiet as the visitors have retreated to the cities.

were they all extremely dark, thats the big thing we noticed.  thinking they were deeper this summer than usual

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:18 PM »
were they all extremely dark, thats the big thing we noticed.  thinking they were deeper this summer than usual

Not really, most bright wild females. According to the live gauge from the water station on temps, the water has been pretty cold at 40-50 feet so I’ve been running 35-45 on the riggers the last two weeks and been doing fairly well, although the fish are welcomed, they aren’t they girth like I expect to see coming into the run.

I haven’t done well on togue this season at all. Lots and lots of real little ones.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

stguy

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:36 PM »
I snagged this one dragging the bottom at 100 feet a week ago

All of the salmon I've got this year have been 100 feet or deeper, a couple close to 200

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Not really, most bright wild females. According to the live gauge from the water station on temps, the water has been pretty cold at 40-50 feet so I’ve been running 35-45 on the riggers the last two weeks and been doing fairly well, although the fish are welcomed, they aren’t they girth like I expect to see coming into the run.

I haven’t done well on togue this season at all. Lots and lots of real little ones.

thats odd, fishing the same depths, fish are mostly dark gold copper and a 50/50 male to female ratio.  had to keep a female this week and it was extremely packed with eggs.  most of the year they have been tiny silver salmon, some tiny togue, and a fair amount of low 20 inch togue which is smaller than last year for us.  the guys i see catching the bigger togue look to be targeting solo fish, hard to do that on my boat.

fishlessman

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I snagged this one dragging the bottom at 100 feet a week ago

All of the salmon I've got this year have been 100 feet or deeper, a couple close to 200

thats way down there and silver, maybe its not the depth that turns them darker

stguy

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:26 PM »
I got a salmon through the ice a few years ago, ( just happened to be chatting with a warden and a bio when the flag went off) the fish was completely black, it looked like it had been spray painted. It also had big gouges in it, the bio couldn't explain the color but the scars where from where it smashed smelts on the bottom of the ice.

saltyshores

« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I got a salmon through the ice a few years ago, ( just happened to be chatting with a warden and a bio when the flag went off) the fish was completely black, it looked like it had been spray painted. It also had big gouges in it, the bio couldn't explain the color but the scars where from where it smashed smelts on the bottom of the ice.

I'm a retired Maine F&W fisheries biologist. I have seen a few jet-black salmon in my career and some that were totally black on one side and totally normal coloration on the other side. The ones that are black on both sides are blind fish, and the ones that are only black on ones side are only blind on one side. The usual cause is eagle or osprey talons but the bird dropped the fish and the injury caused nerve damage followed by blindness.

woodchip1

« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the post
saltyshores  To get info from you  is very helpful and interesting. Time to put in COHOs

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for the post
saltyshores  To get info from you  is very helpful and interesting. Time to put in COHOs
Throw in some hybrid striped bass! That’ll stir some stuff up a bit, and they won’t breed so that’s a plus.
Imagine a striped pig coming up an ice hole lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

stguy

« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2018, 04:21 AM »

I'm a retired Maine F&W fisheries biologist. I have seen a few jet-black salmon in my career and some that were totally black on one side and totally normal coloration on the other side. The ones that are black on both sides are blind fish, and the ones that are only black on ones side are only blind on one side. The usual cause is eagle or osprey talons but the bird dropped the fish and the injury caused nerve damage followed by blindness.

Thanks!!! That's interesting.

Isn't there a chemical in the alewives that effects the salmons eyesight?

The scars that where on the one I caught where running latterly along its back, I've seen a fish that had been grabbed by a bird and this was different.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.