FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wawasee  (Read 8053 times)

kfishdoctor

Re: Wawasee
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Fish eggs can be transported by birds from one place to another. Also,New hatched fish can be "stuck" in the feathers and come free just like the eggs would when the bird landed or took off. I agree with taxid with swimming patterns of fish. They love to swim against the current or through something. Years ago I had an aquarium  that was attached to an exact same one next to it.  1 1/2" pipe at 4" long. The filter intake was in one and the outlet was in the other.  One they figured it out they spent more time going back and forth that staying put in either one.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:40 AM »
A lot of biologists disagree about the fish egg transport thing but when it comes to nature I think anything's possible.

Occam's razor here: Usually the simplest explanation is the right one. If waterways connect in any way then you have the potential for emigration. And moving fish by live wells would be quite easy to do especially if an angler doesn't have far to go. A lot of self proclaimed biologists out there that think they know what's best for the favorite body of water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MC_angler

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:14 AM »
It's probable that the reason is either natural fish movement via connecting waterways, or an angler intentionally moving.

It's very very unlikely to be eggs, as there is no documented muskie reproduction and the muskies are stocked at 8-12 inches long

Hexagenia51

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Another example of invasive species in the See (probably livewell or bucket transports). There's also been white bass showing up over there in the last few years. This BS could seriously hurt the quality perch fishing over there. Better stop this crap before it's too late, if it's not already too late. Just saying! Hex

Hexagenia51

« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:49 PM »
pretty sure they are reproducing in ball lake.
Where the hell is ball lake and how is it connected to the See?

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Back in the early 70's a local fishing club/conservation club stocked walleye and muskie fingerlings in Wawasee. I think it was in 1974.
One guy I know had caught quite a few Walleye up to 5/6# over the years but none lately.
I have seen several boats trolling for muskie during the day and one large cruiser trolling at night with a full complement of outriggers etc. The captain shined his light on his outriggers so that I wouldn't run into them.
As far as white bass the lake is loaded with them. About 8 years ago I caught 4,5,6,7,8 and 12 inch white bass while night fishing. I saved them whole and called the DNR. They knew about the situation but did not want to see the fish because the report I gave them confirmed reproduction. The DNR also knew white bass of up to 15" were reported caught. I have personally caught an 18 1/2" white bass at night on Wawasee. Last Spring we saw a huge school of small 4" white bass swarm along the banks of a channel in tight formation of more than 100.

taxid

« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Hexagenia51,

Ball Lake is in Steuben County and was stocked with trout at one time and later tiger musky. Obviously not connected to "The See."

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/Ball_Lake_Diag_Study-Steuben%20County-Jan03.pdf
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Hexagenia51

« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2018, 10:39 PM »
It's probably been at least 20 plus years ago while night fishing smallies on the See, I caught a five pound walleye on a crawdad crank bait. Only one we ever caught out there and back then we fished it often through the summer months. I've heard of a few others but never actually saw any others and no recent stories about eyes! Hex

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Hit wawasee today ,fished hard all day ended the day with 10 .Four of them went 12 ,the rest 9 and could of 8s The spawn is getting close a couple were spitting eggs water temp is 40

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Hit wawasee today ,fished hard all day ended the day with 10 .Four of them went 12 ,the rest 9 and could of 8s The spawn is getting close a couple were spitting eggs water temp is 40

Water temp needs to hit upper 40's for all the yellow perch to get going. A few will be early and a few late.

Haven't seen one egg ribbon in my yellow perch production pond yet and it's usually early than the lakes.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Tried wawasee this morning before the winds and rain,two small perch and two avg bass    THANKS MOTHER NATURE!

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Saw my first yellow perch egg ribbons today in the pond.

RoeBoat

« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:43 PM »
This weather is rough for getting some predictable fishing when you can get away!

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:50 PM »
This weather is rough for getting some predictable fishing when you can get away!

I live 10 minutes from Wawasee and not only was the wind howling but it was hailing here today!

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Giving it a go tomorrow,lighter winds ,ice fishing suit ,and hopefully some yellow bars!Anybone else going to brave the cold!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.