FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hummingbird fish finder repair  (Read 14157 times)

44 Degrees North

Hummingbird fish finder repair
« on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:43 AM »
Has anyone ever sent a unit away to have a screen replaced? My units screen has deteriorated, fractured from years of sun I suppose. Mechanically still works well, though under certain light situations very hard to see image. Probably will just buy a new one, but would like to have this one for a spare.

JDK

Re: Hummingbird fish finder repair
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:44 AM »
Not really answering your question.

A long while ago, I dropped my humminbird (it was old and saw a ton of use) onto a cellar floor and cracked the screen.  I loved that unit and called customer service.  The guy I spoke with highly recommending throwing my ff away and buy a new one. He indicated that for what I was going to pay to get it fixed, a new one would be light years ahead.  I bought a Garmin. ;D ;D

Two years ago, my son bought a portable.  In a short period of time, the bag ripped.  I called CS and told them what happened, expecting to buy a new bag.  Without any question, we had a free new bag in a few days.

In short, my two experiences with Humminbird Customer Service over the last 15 years has been positive.

# SAND

fuldraw

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2012, 01:01 PM »
i have a new humminbird 788ci that i bought last spring.  i was having some issues with it constantly reading the correct depth so i talked to humminbird and they said to send it in and they would fix it for free if it was less then a year old (from purchase date) if it was over that it would be 175$ just to have them look at it and maybe more to fix it depending on the fix! luckily i was within the year. for me it would have been worth it to pay because its a pretty pricey unit but for something older i think jdk is exactly right

44 Degrees North

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Thanks for the comeback. That was about what I expected to hear, cheaper to buy than repair. After I buy a new one it`ll be time to experiment. I`ll tear it apart, add a new piece of lexan, reseal with some 5200. Apparently won`t be out anything.

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:58 PM »
i have a new humminbird 788ci that i bought last spring.  i was having some issues with it constantly reading the correct depth so i talked to humminbird and they said to send it in and they would fix it for free if it was less then a year old (from purchase date) if it was over that it would be 175$ just to have them look at it and maybe more to fix it depending on the fix! luckily i was within the year. for me it would have been worth it to pay because its a pretty pricey unit but for something older i think jdk is exactly right

Thanks fuldraw...That information about having to pay Hummingbird $175 Bucks just to look at your broken
Fishfinder is good to know.
My Hummingbird 570 just let go after 14 months and I only paid $199 Bucks for it and I was going to send it
in for repairs but now I will definately be buying a new one now.

Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.