FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: floating fly line and reel for trolling  (Read 3225 times)

fishlessman

Re: floating fly line and reel for trolling
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:38 AM »
If you want to fish on the surface why not use mono?

you can troll closer to shore in the spring with the flyline than with just mono or a mono with a single bb shot.  the flyline has more a tendency to follow the boat around a point, the mono wants to straighten out and cross over the point.  its mostly just early spring when the salmon have the smelt pushed right against the shore.  it works well with a small boat and electric motor, i dont fish that shallow with my current boat. watch the guys fishing the beach area at ice out on sebago, some will troll 6 to 10 feet from shore along the beach early april and also in front of the small feedr streams along the west shore

Turnbuckle

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I'm pretty surprised that trolling a  fly line in the Spring time is an unknown thing for some folks, especially here in Maine.  The traditional rig is pretty simple; floating or sinking line (sinker will get you a couple feet down) with a 35-40 ft mono leader and a tandem trolling fly... That's it.  Total blast when a Salmon hits and rockets right out of the water and it doesn't require mucking around with leadcore or down riggers or planers....It's almost too simple. works well in both spring and fall.

I'm sure the older guys here know what I'm talking about.

My preferred way of fishing. I’d rather catch one salmon that way then 10 on other rods. I run a short leader and floating line about 10 yards behind my prop with a bushy streamer. I can sit there for hours drinking beers watching that thing dance around.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

RRobert

• cast, mend, drift, hope, step, repeat.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2019, 08:45 AM »
the flyline has more a tendency to follow the boat around a point, the mono wants to straighten out and cross over the point. 

This is a really good point.
Every rod has a story, and some of them are true.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.