FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 70" Pike  (Read 16065 times)

buzzbomb

Re: 70" Pike
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2004, 09:04 AM »
DNR test net survey hauled in a monster (not quite that size, but close), and it was measured and released back into Last Mountain Lake.  I also heard of RCMP divers seeing one up at Wee-Too when they were attempting to recover 2 fishermen years ago.  The story I heard was that one of the divers came up and wanted back in the boat asap, stating that there was a jackfish down there as big as he was, and it was just loafing along the bottom, sucking up crayfish and spitting out sand.  I think it's entirely possible for a  5'+ fish to live undetected in a 100sq mile lake that goes to 100' deep because hey, if you ever hooked it how would you get a look at it without deep-sea strength tackle?  No lake trout here, so nobody's trolling with steel line, and the carpers are the only guys using the heavy tackle, and they're only fishing to 75 yds from shore.  I think it's neat to go fishing and know that there's the possibility of a fish like that in there somewhere 8).

TJ

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Hey Buzz, it's the same down at Boundery in Estevan. They were diving the outlet, were the warm water discharge from the plant is. The hole at the end on the discharge is 75 feet deep, no more that 50 yards from shore. These two divers came running out of the water, there was a northern the size of a man just cruising, eating anything it wanted to.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2004, 05:04 PM »
That pic looks real to me, but it ain't no 70".  I'd say it's close to 60" if not over though.  You figure that his knees in that position are probably about 18" unless the guy is 7' tall!  Still, that is a nice pike.  Comparing that to the world record, it could be over 50 pounds.

Can you imagine that?  That guy could have had a world record pike there and he ate it!  Imagine how much money he'd make in endorsements and such, that's a lot more meals than that one fish. 

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Wow.  What a Pike!  The guy in the photo looks like he will have to have that smile surgically removed! ;D 

Me.......I would have somehow convinced the wife that it was time to visit the taxidermist!

Fish Monger

« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2004, 02:27 PM »
Holy crap! Can you imagine seeing that mouth come up out of an ice hole. I think I'd just drop everything and head home.

grumpymoe

« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2004, 02:38 PM »
here's something you can do for a little fun....take your own 4 fingers closed together  as if you were holding the fish...heck, even spread them abit...now take a tape or ruler and measure your own hand..if you're average you'll get 3 1/2 and maybe 4"...using the happy man in the pic's hands as a comparison you can now measure out this 70 inch fish to likely no more than 50" in my guestimation....try it and post your own results....grump

reubenpa

« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2004, 04:20 PM »
good point grump, I came up with about 48-50 inches!!!!   still a monster!!! though ;D ;D :D :D :D :D
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2004, 10:00 AM »
I came up with closer to 58-60"A beast anyway you slice it.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Good point Grump.  I'm a big guy with big hands and figureing it that way I come up with roughly 58". 
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2004, 10:08 PM »
I don't care if the pike is 60" or 70" It is still bigger than any fish I have ever seen. That would be a scary fish to catch :o

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2004, 07:25 AM »
Good point ol' grumpy one.  I'd say over 50 but no more than 54".  He doesn't look like a big guy.  That is still one heck of a fish.

OTIS

« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2004, 10:53 AM »
My desk is 70 inches, and if I rest my arms on my knees like the guy in the picture, it looks to be about that size.  Think of it this way, the fish is as wide as the guy and three children!  I'm a bit wider that that guy, but my three kids and I can not sit side by side in a 50 inch space!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Mikepike

« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2005, 07:12 PM »
ive caught bigger  ;)

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

big big rdg

« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2005, 02:20 PM »
That could deffinatly eat a small kid!Would loveee to have that mount!
FSHON!

cnyfishing

« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2005, 02:21 PM »
About the soft belly-  could he have gutted the fish then folded the skin over for the pic? that is a huge fish though.
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.