FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pikemans pics 04' season  (Read 6255 times)

meadowpikeman

Pikemans pics 04' season
« on: Apr 02, 2005, 04:00 PM »
heres a few pics from last season

"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
Re: Pikemans pics 04' season
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Great pictures!  You sure got into some beautiful fish last year, here's hoping this year is as good to you!

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2005, 06:53 PM »
Where do you live pikeman? Those are some great fish, are those big colorful hogs brookies or splake?
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2005, 07:10 PM »
 :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :w00t: :w00t:
What an awesome bunch of brookies! man you sure got some trophies there! I wish we had native trout like those! Whooooeee those are nice! Ive found some new brookie lakes out west here and I hope to get into some up to 6 pounds. Can't believe my eyes! Those are awesome! Keep em coming!
Tight Lines!
KRIS

PS This was a few of the smaller ones we got this year. Nothing like what you got there but still good brookies. I'm in the flannel.

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

meadowpikeman

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2005, 08:57 PM »
sorry guys those are all splake in full spwaning garb. the forked tell is bout the only noticeable difference here is a brookie from a nearby lake for comparison
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Splake, brookie same thing :P or genetically close enough! Great fish! Nice rainbows and pike too! Didn't see those pics last time I logged in. Those are some nice fat bows
KRIS

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Hood

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2005, 11:30 AM »
The splake look alot like Arctic cher, maybe the same? Either way gorgeous fish, great fishing you have there man!!!  :thumbup_smilie:
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

meadowpikeman

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2005, 12:40 PM »
it kinda seems splake don't get the creidt they deserve other hybrids like tigers and wipers seem to get a fair amount of respect but splake don't seem to, even though they are actually a fairly tough fish to catch a lot of the time when they get bigger. defintely one of the more challenging fish to catch in my mind, kind of unpredictable because of the hybridizing.

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2005, 01:43 PM »
actually a splake is a brookie ,lake trout cross.thats were they get the fork in there tail from.
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2005, 03:18 PM »
Splake are awesome and do deserve more respect. They are like the best of both worlds of lakers and brookies, they are bigger than brookies cuz of the lake trout genes and fight really hard cuz of the brookie genes. In the right enviroment splake can easily get over 10 pounds commonly.

meadowpikeman

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2005, 03:24 PM »
ya youre 100% right on that kodiak they fight a lot harder than lakers pound for pound. and yes even in our small lakes here with splake 10lbs is defintely not out of the question a know a couple guys who have been over 12lbs a few times on lake about an hour from my house.  they're what i'll be chasing as soon as the season opens back up again in may.

Mikepike

« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2005, 07:58 PM »
I fish a lake with lakers and splake, the way i tell the difference is the perfectly round spots on the skin taken from the brrokie side. Our splake dont have the nice red bellys though.

P.S. THEY taste GREAT

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2005, 08:09 PM »
I fish a lake in utah when i visit relatives called Fish Lake that has world class splake fishing. ESPN outdoors said it is the most likely place for the next world record splake. The current record their is 15 pounds and it's a relatively new fisherie. ThEir are many 10 pounders in their that put the 30 pound lakers in the same lake to shame. I think it's only a matter of time before splake become more widespread and popular.

Hood

« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2005, 08:24 PM »
The red bellies and fins threw me off thinkin they were Arctis Char, the fork tail is a dead giveaway, though they are all in the char family  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

meadowpikeman

« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2005, 08:43 PM »
early in the year they are a steel blue but by the end of august or so the really color up black heads hooked jaws the whole bit, got lots of nice ones digging cranks into the gravel durning the "mock" spawn, this is the only technique that has really produced the bigger "spawners". in the spring and summer in the north i love catching them on the fly though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.