FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New PB! Anyone ever catch one of these?  (Read 2206 times)

zwiggles

New PB! Anyone ever catch one of these?
« on: Sep 04, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I went out yesterday afternoon with a buddy when he got out of work. Fished until dusk and were hopeful to get some trout, but this system just doesn’t seem to hold many. Caught some sunfish, fall fish, and something I never would have expected.

So with about an hour to go in fishing I tangled the hell out of my last fly fishing leader. Got it kind of untangled, but the taper was to thick to tie on anymore flies. I had a spinning rig as a back up, and some garden hackle. I had a few worms, and a few dozen “grubs” I found when planting some sedums this weekend. First cast produced a lively fall fish with a grub. Then I hooked on another grub and let my friend fish his turn in the pool. All of a sudden my grub is flying around the pole?!?! A dragonfly decided that when my line was dangling in the air he just couldn’t resist. Tried getting a video but it was tangled up by the time I fumbled for my phone. The grub was basically eviscerated with flaps of skin hanging off. Totally took me by surprise. I’ve had seagulls and birds Harry my bait, but never an insect!

AquaAssassin

Re: New PB! Anyone ever catch one of these?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Lol! Can’t say I’ve seen that. Pretty cool.
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:17 PM »
Wiggles thats a crazy story.  Now go get some maxima chameleon and learn blood knots.  Start with 20lb, then 15lb then 12lb then a tippet ring, then tippet. 40" or so should do the trick.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Also a fan of maxima chameleon!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:02 PM »

I had a short video of it once it wrapped itself around my pole like a tetherball, but this screen shot gives you the gist of it. Pretty neat.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:12 PM »
Wiggles thats a crazy story.  Now go get some maxima chameleon and learn blood knots.  Start with 20lb, then 15lb then 12lb then a tippet ring, then tippet. 40" or so should do the trick.

For tying my own leaders? Using the blood knots to taper down the leader size?

My friend was trying to explain this to me the other night and I just couldn’t follow him, but he mentioned a lot he just bought.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2019, 06:11 AM »
The true definition of fly fishing.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2019, 06:52 AM »
For tying my own leaders? Using the blood knots to taper down the leader size?

My friend was trying to explain this to me the other night and I just couldn’t follow him, but he mentioned a lot he just bought.

Shoot me a PM with your address and Ill send you a couple.

Streamfisha

• Poolguy on IS
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2019, 08:45 AM »
LOL...awesome story zwiggles

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Nice, wrap the line around him a few more times and throw him out as bait.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2019, 12:14 PM »
That was probably not the first time that happened this year, but first time for you.

Seems like there are quite a few more dragon flies this year compared to prior years.
I figure that since they are always on the hunt for food, they've help keep the daytime mosquito population in check.

What I really enjoy is seeing just how big some of those suckers can get!

Cool story!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:02 PM »
That was probably not the first time that happened this year, but first time for you.

Seems like there are quite a few more dragon flies this year compared to prior years.
I figure that since they are always on the hunt for food, they've help keep the daytime mosquito population in check.

What I really enjoy is seeing just how big some of those suckers can get!

Cool story!

Amazing how big they got during the carboniferous period. Up to 28 inches!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.