FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 98836 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #330 on: May 26, 2020, 11:36 PM »
Glad to hear you're on the mend, and that the fish are biting.

Thanks Jim.

lowaccord66

« Reply #331 on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:25 AM »
The Farmington has been predictably good as of late averaging 30 or more Saturday and Sunday Mornings.  So last night I took some time to fish close to home and hit the Housatonic.  Im glad I did.  Numbers were much lower but I landed a handful of wild browns, and battled a large one for quite a while before being broken off.  There was quite the spinner fall, making the trout go nuts.  A good pod of them was nailing the spinners off the surface but I was unable to wade to them.  Caught one bonus smallmouth as well.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #332 on: Jun 09, 2020, 06:49 AM »
Nice work Jon. I need to get out that way and give that a go.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #333 on: Jun 23, 2020, 09:07 AM »
The hot weather and humidity gave me a hunch that fish might be feeding on the surface at night.  I got to the farmy at 9pm and to my surprise, which seems to be the norm on the farmy this year, there were several people in the spot I wanted to fish. I sharpened my elbows and tied on a mouse pattern.  A couple of dozen casts later and the mouse got sucked underwater and landed a beauty of a wild brown in the 18 inch class. I had a few more short strikes after that but called it at midnight. Pics are bad bc I was swarmed by bugs as soon as I turned on my headlamp.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #334 on: Jun 23, 2020, 09:11 AM »
The hot weather and humidity gave me a hunch that fish might be feeding on the surface at night.  I got to the farmy at 9pm and to my surprise, which seems to be the norm on the farmy this year, there were several people in the spot I wanted to fish. I sharpened my elbows and tied on a mouse pattern.  A couple of dozen casts later and the mouse got sucked underwater and landed a beauty of a wild brown in the 18 inch class. I had a few more short strikes after that but called it at midnight. Pics are bad bc I was swarmed by bugs as soon as I turned on my headlamp.

:clapping:

It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #335 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Way to go Pat.  Let's plan a real mission soon and I'll join.  I have spots people are too afraid to visit at night! 

There are definitely more people fishing. 

westernmas

« Reply #336 on: Jun 23, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Way to go Pat.  Let's plan a real mission soon and I'll join.  I have spots people are too afraid to visit at night!

I'm game.  I'm gone this weekend but I'll shoot ya a text when I'm back.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #337 on: Jun 23, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Gonna try it this weekend on the Deerfield.  Any tips?
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #338 on: Jun 23, 2020, 02:26 PM »

Yes here:

https://troutbitten.com/2018/07/11/night-fishing-for-trout-part-one-people-places-and-things/

Dom is a really good dude and his site has helped my game tremendously.  Then I fished with him...it was unreal how much I learned. 

westernmas

« Reply #339 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:08 PM »

I like to shorten my leader and increase my tippet strength.  I was using 12lb fluoro last night.  Only other suggestion is that most mammals aren't good swimmers so I try to slow my retrieve down if throwing a mouse.  I'm def no expert so experiment and see what works.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #340 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:29 PM »
I like to shorten my leader and increase my tippet strength.  I was using 12lb fluoro last night.  Only other suggestion is that most mammals aren't good swimmers so I try to slow my retrieve down if throwing a mouse.  I'm def no expert so experiment and see what works.

Great, thanks!

Steve H.

« Reply #341 on: Jun 23, 2020, 03:30 PM »
Yes here:

https://troutbitten.com/2018/07/11/night-fishing-for-trout-part-one-people-places-and-things/

Dom is a really good dude and his site has helped my game tremendously.  Then I fished with him...it was unreal how much I learned.

Thanks!  I'll be sure to check this out.

lowaccord66

« Reply #342 on: Jun 23, 2020, 08:54 PM »
Thanks!  I'll be sure to check this out.

Anytime.  I think you'll enjoy the reading there.

westernmas

« Reply #343 on: Jun 24, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Speak of the devil.  One of my favorite blogs also wrote a night fishing article.  Specific to bass but some of the techniques apply to trout too.

http://flyfishingcts.blogspot.com/2020/06/black-bass-after-hours.html
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #344 on: Jun 24, 2020, 09:46 AM »
I like his blog but I find nothing in that post that is relevant to trout at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.