FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518288 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1635 on: Sep 10, 2017, 06:48 AM »
Quote the harvest RG! With the forecast showing unseasonably mild temps this week, I am going to let the Portugal and habanero peppers stay where they are a few more days

tomturkey

« Reply #1636 on: Sep 10, 2017, 09:52 AM »
I saw that pickles are not good for you the other day. I never liked them any way other than maybe a couple of sweet pickles. I guess it is because I am a sour person any way and do not need to add to that.

I did pick up a half bushel of pickles from a farmer the other day. The wife and I spent a couple of days making sweet pickle relish. We have a few years of relish put up if she does not give to much away or decides to sell some. I can hardly stand commercial relish after eating hers.

zwiggles

« Reply #1637 on: Sep 10, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Nice job RG! Looks like a great haul.

We have the sauce attatchment for our kitchen aide, and it is fantastic. It does produce a "watery" sauce, but once you cook it down it thickens up and is great.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1638 on: Sep 10, 2017, 02:39 PM »
If pickles are bad for me......I'm in trouble ;D Canned up a dozen pints of sauce yesterday.

Now I'm making home made garlic, Basil pasta with Swiss Chard to test out some leftover sauce.

I love making pasta. The Kitchenaid pasta attachments are awesome.

I watched some videos of people making sauce with the strainer attachment. Looked like cooking down tomato juice to me. When we process 🍅 for sauce, my Bride slits the skin down the side and blanches them in almost boiling water till they split. I remove the stem, peel, cut off the top and bottom and give them a good squeeze. I end up with a nice tomato pulp. They go into a strainer to let more juice drain off and as they cook I scoop more juice off the top. We end up with a nice, rich sauce. We'll do another batch that won't cook down so long. I call this my "cooking sauce" . I can use it as a base for a lot of different dishes and even soups.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1639 on: Sep 10, 2017, 04:59 PM »

Great pull RG. I'm winding down fast now. Picked the last of my cukes today and the Maters all have blight on 75 percent of the vine. I'll take what will ripen in the next few days, then pull and burn the vines. Hungarians are kicking into full gear and the brussles are slowly getting bigger. I pulled them November 15th last year after a few hard freezes and they were tight and sweet, I'll look to do the same this year.

If you guys still wanna do the pickle and perch fest I plan to scout next weekend and perhaps an afternoon or 2 this week.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1640 on: Sep 10, 2017, 05:05 PM »
I don't know about the rest, but, tell me where your boat is docked and I'll be there. I can't trailer that far with my little red truck.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

« Reply #1641 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08:22 PM »
I don't know about the rest, but, tell me where your boat is docked and I'll be there. I can't trailer that far with my little red truck.

Rg
I'm betting on the east end at this point Bud, should be a nice easy trip down 90 for you ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1642 on: Sep 11, 2017, 03:31 AM »
Made that trip many times. I actually used to fish Oneida quite a bit. Ice fished it more than open water. Kept a sled at a little place on the north shore. The name escapes me now but I remember a line of Christmas trees to follow and get you home again. No such things as gps or cell phones back then. Also used to stay at Rick's in Cleveland. He'd keep a couple rooms open in the winter and sled us out to the fish for the day. Seems a long, long time ago.

Rg

caribou

« Reply #1643 on: Sep 11, 2017, 06:33 AM »
sounds like frank tripps......... spruce grove........just past Constantia off of route 49

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1644 on: Sep 11, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Yup....you certainly jogged an old memory.

Rg

drowndin dots

« Reply #1645 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:00 PM »
  Well the scouting went well after a few moves. Had a surprise day off Tuesday, so I loaded the boat and hit the lake. Found a few here and there, then found some eager biters a half hour before I had to scoot.... Still a nice few meals there. It will only get better. RG name a date bud, Sunday works or the weekend after next. I'm in the mood to fill the freezer now!

filetandrelease

« Reply #1646 on: Sep 15, 2017, 10:11 PM »

Pine trees that would have been spruce grove

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1647 on: Sep 16, 2017, 07:20 PM »
I don't know about the rest, but, tell me where your boat is docked and I'll be there......
X2

Nice mess!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

drowndin dots

« Reply #1648 on: Sep 17, 2017, 10:11 AM »
X2

Nice mess!   ;D
Looking forward to it! Did a little searching on the west end yesterday, found a few, but the east end is much better. There is also Verona beach state park

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1649 on: Sep 17, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Sunday the 24 th?
Verona Beach State park?

I can be there by 6am ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.