FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518243 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1710 on: Oct 02, 2017, 05:54 PM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1711 on: Oct 02, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Zoodles are simply the single best use of the annual over abundance of zucchini I've ever eaten. Get a spiralizer at Wally World for $15 and enjoy a whole new bunch of really good eats.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1712 on: Oct 03, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Hey Bill,  does the Kitchenaid food mill attach to the Grinder that I already have?

Rg
Yes it does. Has a different, longer screw, but uses the same feed hopper.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

O

« Reply #1713 on: Oct 03, 2017, 06:32 PM »
Yesterday, I roasted a bushel of red peppers my cousin grew on our farm.  There were very few of them this year, and I felt a little guilty taking the bushel this year, but after they were done, the guilt disappeared. 

I also filled my dehydrater with sage leaves.  Next up is the remaining basil, rosemary and thyme.

A few weeks ago, I pickled another bushel of green peppers using my mother's method.  These are a family favorite.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1714 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09:07 AM »
Looks great O....
What's the canned pepper recipe?     ::)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

O

« Reply #1715 on: Oct 04, 2017, 04:46 PM »
Looks great O....
What's the canned pepper recipe?     ::)

Cut peppers into flat pieces, pack them tightly into jars, wide mouth jars are easier to use.
Add a clove of garlic or a couple of leaves of basil.
Add a jalapeño pepper or cherry hot, depending on how hot you want your peppers to be.
Bring 5 qts of apple cider vinegar and 5 qts water and 1 cup canning salt to a rapid boil.
Fill jars with rapidly boiling mixture and quickly seal the jar with new lids.
It is important that the mixture be boiling when putting into jars. 
No need to "process"
Wait for jars to cool, check lids. If the are depressed you have a good seal.  If not, empty and try again with boiling mixture. 
Let them soak for about 10 weeks - we wait until Thanksgiving.

A bushel of peppers will use 2 gallons of vinegar and 2 gallons of water and yield 30 pint and a half jars.

They should be crisp to the bite.  I will usually splash them with olive oil and a few sprinkles of dried oregano, but most of the time we eat them right out of the jar.  Best served with pasta and meatballs, and of course with homemade sauce.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1716 on: Oct 04, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Cut peppers into flat pieces, pack them tightly into jars, wide mouth jars are easier to use.
Add a clove of garlic or a couple of leaves of basil.
Add a jalapeño pepper or cherry hot, depending on how hot you want your peppers to be.
Bring 5 qts of apple cider vinegar and 5 qts water and 1 cup canning salt to a rapid boil.
Fill jars with rapidly boiling mixture and quickly seal the jar with new lids.
It is important that the mixture be boiling when putting into jars. 
No need to "process"
Wait for jars to cool, check lids. If the are depressed you have a good seal.  If not, empty and try again with boiling mixture. 
Let them soak for about 10 weeks - we wait until Thanksgiving.

A bushel of peppers will use 2 gallons of vinegar and 2 gallons of water and yield 30 pint and a half jars.

They should be crisp to the bite.  I will usually splash them with olive oil and a few sprinkles of dried oregano, but most of the time we eat them right out of the jar.  Best served with pasta and meatballs, and of course with homemade sauce.
That sounds great O!

O

« Reply #1717 on: Oct 04, 2017, 07:18 PM »
I would have gone to the pickle fest but I had plans already in place that day.  I think I would have given RG a run for first prize!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1718 on: Oct 04, 2017, 08:15 PM »
O, You would have had a 50/50 chance of being the canning champ since RG is the only one to bring something..      Wait till next year when I show up...   I will bring some goddies...... ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1719 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09:44 PM »
O, You would have had a 50/50 chance of being the canning champ since RG is the only one to bring something..      Wait till next year when I show up...   I will bring some goddies...... ;D ;D ;D
You know, my pickled eggs and pickled garlic were pretty good that day. Out of a quart of eggs only three went home, and only half the jelly jar of garlic.
RG's pickles, as good as they were,  were the only "cucumbers" there. 
Categories, Dom.  ;)
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1720 on: Oct 05, 2017, 03:50 AM »
I should have brought one more jar with me. The first batch I put up is getting hotter by the day. My son and I opened a jar last week end. They are definitely 3 beer pickles. I need some little skull and crossbones labels for that batch.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1721 on: Oct 05, 2017, 04:27 PM »
I can't believe I forgot mine.... :-[

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1722 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Next year, DD. **it happens. You won the boat category!   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1723 on: Oct 06, 2017, 03:12 AM »
I think we should rent a pontoon boat for next year.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1724 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Starting to get some Moon Flowers

About 1 a night now.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.