FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518034 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1935 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Nope..... Plant in good soil and watch it grow and never cut it back...
I had two that got so big i had to pull them out by the roots and transplant them and put in a different spot...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1936 on: Mar 26, 2018, 06:30 PM »
So ignore the group 1,2,3 pruning stuff?

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1937 on: Mar 26, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Depends on what kind you have. Some grow off the root and some grow off the old brown branchs. Bet you got the the kind you dont cut back unless your trying to shape it.  But you can do that by just rearranging branches...    :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1938 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Think I can paint some Lowes buckets black. We have seed potatoes....I have dirt.......I mean.....soil :laugh:

What the heck.....I'll give it a go!

Rg

That's what I figure too. I like the idea that you can harvest a few new potatoes without killing the plant.    ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1939 on: Mar 26, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Me too Bill. I can see a few buckets. We like our potatoes.

I bought Ville De Lyon, group 3
H.F.Young group 3
Venoaa Violacea group 2

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1940 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Scarlet  Begonias and tea for two.
The sky was yellow and the sun was blue... ;D ;D ;D

[/quote

:afro: :afro: :thumbup_smilie:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1941 on: Mar 27, 2018, 03:11 PM »
This is an ariel shot of the place  from late last fall....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1942 on: Mar 27, 2018, 03:15 PM »
And some more color...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1943 on: Mar 28, 2018, 03:35 AM »
Sprouting up fast Dom.

Gonna buy my seed potatoes today and cut them up so they can heal before I plant the buckets. I'm thinking about doing a small potato box as well. There's a dozen seed taters in each pack.  I figure about 4 seed taters per 5 gallon bucket. I'm only gonna do 4 buckets.  That leaves some taters left over to plant somewhere. So, I thought I might  make a smallish tater tower, maybe only 16"x16"  to see which method works the easiest. I can use cedar fence pickets  for material. And have a spot all picked out to place it.

Put a fresh coat of stain on Mama's flower boxes the other day. I'm hoping for a couple decent days so I can till the beds. I layered them with shredded yard, leaf and garden compost last fall. Should be ready to turn them over and give them a few weeks to settle in.

Have to stay busy till I can really play in the dirt.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1944 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Well, I'm back peddling on my potato plans. I've been researching this idea pretty steadily for the last week. No buckets this year.

There's a ton of misinformation out there. Towers work....towers don't work...use this fertilizer......don't use that....plant this tater....that one won't grow....this soil mix....that......OYE!

Since I don't have ready access to Indeterminate potato seed, I'm going with a couple of early harvest varieties. Yukon Gold and Red Norland. They're  both determinant, there's no good reason to "hill" them. They just won't produce beyond the initial rooting. So.......I'm going to add 6" or so to the bed where I'm planting them to give a full 16" of bed for them to produce.  I'll plant them whole and see what I get for a harvest.

Next year I'll plan a bit earlier and buy some heirloom indeterminate potato seed. Then...maybe a tower.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1945 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Use to do potatos in the ground and in  fence towers lined with layers of newspapers..Works good but its easy to buy a 5lb bag now and then..  :-\
Potatos stink when they go bad...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1946 on: Mar 28, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Burst my bubble already. Well, I'll plant some taters anyway and see what happens. Should have time for a fall crop toro.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1947 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Bob, just an FYI,  reds and golds don't winner well. Good old fashioned whites will make it through to plant again the following spring. 
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1948 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Use to do potatos in the ground and in  fence towers lined with layers of newspapers..Works good but its easy to buy a 5lb bag now and then..  :-\
Potatos stink when they go bad...

What a lot of people don't know is that most store bought bagged potatoes are treated with a root inhibitor so they won't sprout in storage or the store. That's why I like to grow my own.

A few years ago we wanted to have a bumper crop of taters because a friend bought a chuck wagon and was selling hand cut fries. My wife talked to the wife of a local producer who also own a restaurant and she told her to just stop by the farm stand and grab a few bags. So, she stopped that evening and bought a 50 lb bag.

That weekend the friend and I planted and phosphated 4 rows 100 ft long. 

5 weeks later I transplanted everything that came up into one half row.  Everything else rotted in the ground. Come to find out, they put root inhibitor on their potatoes.

Lesson learned. Chemicals bad.  :D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1949 on: Mar 29, 2018, 03:18 AM »
The seeds I bought are certified disease free and already sprouted. I'm just going for the short crop Bill. These won't be big fat russets or whites. 2" max I'd guess. We'll consume them long before winter sets in. I don't intend to use them for seed either. If I have some success, I'll change things next year.

I'm not doing beans this year, the peppers are moving to another bed at the back of the house and the radishes will go in the trough planter after I transplant my seedlings. So I have some room to play with. If the trough works out I just might build 2. My Bride has arthritis and it's hard for her to work in the garden. Even with the raised beds. So the trough planters, at 32" high will be something she can play with. Besides....There's  never enough dirt to play with. ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.