FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518097 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1980 on: Apr 06, 2018, 07:06 AM »
Got the bottom of the trough planter painted up last evening.

Put the liner in this morning. Dang cold in the shop.

Lowes has organic garden soil on sale at 5 cu. ft. For $10. I'll probably buy 15 bags and then add my amendments. Need about 18 cu ft total ti fill it completely. But I'll leave a couple inches below the top line for now.

Decided to put a 5/4 x 6 top ledge all around to work from and hold the cover. The cover is going to be 6 mil plastic sheet for this year. That way I can swap out the plastic for a fabric cover when it gets warmer. Still thinking about the cover frame. I like EMT. Cheap and sturdy. And....I know a guy who can bend it up ;D

Can't wait to get some seeds started in the new planter/cold frame/ nursery 👍

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1981 on: Apr 06, 2018, 10:28 PM »
EMT corrodes. :-\
1/2" PVC and a heat gun, a man with a drill can build anything.........  :D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

« Reply #1982 on: Apr 07, 2018, 02:21 AM »
EMT corrodes. :-\
1/2" PVC and a heat gun, a man with a drill can build anything.........  :D

If that's the case my wall rod holders for fishing off the wall would be already corroded too..  they stay out in the elements wile I sit in a shanty and fish in warmth and comfort.. if corrosion is really what he is afraid of?? Then stainless steel round or square  rod in 1/4 to 3/8 inch..  can be bent with tool at link below..  but I think the emt should be sufficient.. or if thinking about it to much..  if you got a 3/4emt bender go with 1/2 rigid ?? My self thinks that emt is fine you can't go wrong with emt.. 

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rod-forming-tool.html

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1983 on: Apr 07, 2018, 02:57 AM »
Not really Bill. Emt is commonly used and approved by the NEC for exposed work in wet locations provided the fittings used are rain tight. I've installed miles of emt in outdoor applications. Cannot be buried underground though.

I think I'm going with PVC anyway. Emt would have to bolted together  and I don't want to deal with sharp points when putting the plastic cover on the frame. Also, there are no Tee fittings for EMT and PVC will be lighter.  Lighter is better. I'm buying automatic vent openers so I don't cook my plants. They'll lift up to 15 lbs so I should be able to get away with just one.

I gave thought to bending and gluing up wood hoops but it's just more than is necessary.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1984 on: Apr 07, 2018, 05:52 AM »
Bob thats not a planter thats a piece of art....     :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #1985 on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:17 AM »

Really nice Bob! :thumbup_smilie: :clapping:

boondox

« Reply #1986 on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Not really Bill. Emt is commonly used and approved by the NEC for exposed work in wet locations provided the fittings used are rain tight. I've installed miles of emt in outdoor applications. Cannot be buried underground though.

I think I'm going with PVC anyway. Emt would have to bolted together  and I don't want to deal with sharp points when putting the plastic cover on the frame. Also, there are no Tee fittings for EMT and PVC will be lighter.  Lighter is better. I'm buying automatic vent openers so I don't cook my plants. They'll lift up to 15 lbs so I should be able to get away with just one.

I gave thought to bending and gluing up wood hoops but it's just more than is necessary.

Rg

Could alway paint wood grain on the pvc with brown paint..  seen that some ware I think pintrest??

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1987 on: Apr 07, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Looked into various pvc fittings online this morning. Found some 3 way fittings that looked perfect for the corners. I didn't want to wait for stuff to come and they were near $3 apiece so I went to Lowes with the idea of making a wood frame of 2x2 and hoops from 1/2 pvc conduit.

Wouldn't you know it...they had the 3 way fittings.....and....for $1 each. So I went with pvc all the way. It didn't bend very easily wit it being below freezing in the garage, but it just needs to work and I think it will.

I used some 4 mil plastic sheet for this cover. I don't expect it to last past the spring, but $8 bought enough to make 5 covers. I cut up an old garden hose to wrap around the plastic and over the pvc to hold it in place. Worked pretty darned good and I always hated that stiff old garden hose. All total I have about $60 in the planter. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Still need to work out a latching mechanism and decide on some auto vent openers. They'll probably cost more than the whole planter.

Fun build that my Bride can play with this growing season.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1988 on: Apr 07, 2018, 08:17 PM »

I knew what I meant would probably be misconstrued. I didn't mean it would turn to rust, I was more referring to the white zinc oxide dust oxidation from the galvanize.

That said and gone to the wind, beautiful planter, Bob.  Very nice indeed!   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1989 on: Apr 08, 2018, 02:48 AM »
Gotcha!
Ordered the auto vent opener last night. Now I realize I'll have to make some provision for the opener to work but still be able to open the top all the way to work in the planter. Hmmmmmmm!

Remember.....gardening is cheaper than therapy.....and, you get 🍅!

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1990 on: Apr 09, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Well, it's in place and filled.

Watered in some trays and peat pots. Now all I need is some warmth.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #1991 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:26 PM »
That looks fabulous RG.  Bring on spring.

fishin4eyes

« Reply #1992 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:57 PM »
Nice work rg. Though about building those right over my raised beds. Still waiting for spring here. Got 2500 strawberry plants another 60 raspberry and another 20 blackberry coming. Hope its a drier year than last spring

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1993 on: Apr 09, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Beautiful!   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1994 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:58 PM »
Beautiful!   ;D

It will be when I see some green ;D

Thanks everyone. A fun experiment.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.