FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518273 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2160 on: May 29, 2018, 08:22 AM »
My garden is looking very good even with these super high temp days. Had to replant a few cucumbers and peas as well but we also had our first salad from the garden yesterday. We have been picking strawberries for days now as well. Radish should be ready soon. Time to dry some green onion, sage, lovage, and dill to store it for winter.

Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2161 on: May 29, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Looks really great Sharps.

Looks like I lost a couple of the peppers I planted this morning. Really too hot for this time of year. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2162 on: May 30, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Here a some better close up pictures.

Many, many, many hours spent in here already. Love it.
Wicked Wec

deerefishyfishy

« Reply #2163 on: May 30, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Finally got dry enough to rototill the garden one last time. Got all of my tomato, parsley, basil, sweet pepper, and hot pepper transplants in- 30 tomato, 9 sweet pepper, 15 hot pepper, 2 parsley, and 2 basil- in on Saturday and then got a nasty thunderstorm that soaked everything again on Sunday. Gotta wait until it dries out again to get all my other seeds in the ground. Definitely been a frustrating year with the prolonged cold temps and tons of rain!! Looking good Rg and Sharps. Where are you located Sharps? Looks nice and dry there!
Do you think fish go home and lie about all the bait they stole?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish all day and make up lies...

There's a reason they call it fishing, not catching.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2164 on: May 30, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Thanks Deerefishyfishy,

I am located in Rhode Island. Its been on and off here with rain but with these 80's and 90's recently even a heavy t-storm coming through, everything is dry within hours. Garden loves it though. Every night I spend at least half an hour removing weeds. I also get purslane which I am going to attempt to eat this year, just not sure how to incorporate it into a meal other than toss it in a salad. Maybe some sort of soup?
Wicked Wec

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2165 on: May 30, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Looks good Sharps! What are you growing in the green fence trellises? i use tomato cages straightened out for my cukes and a makeshift bamboo trellis for beans. the bamboo didn't quite work as well as i would have liked and didn't survive the winter in the shed

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2166 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21 AM »
I am growing both cucumbers and sugar snap/Alaska pea's in the green fence. The cucumbers snake there way through shooting straight up the fence and I find that the plants never get to hot with the plastic material. I used to use a metal fencing for them but it would get too hot and kill my cucumbers.

I never have an issue growing anything in my garden except for one thing. My pepper plants never seem to grow very tall and the peppers themselves every other year get worms in their flesh. It seems like the hotter summers are worse for them. This year I only planted banana peppers and Jalapeno peppers. I pickle the Banana peppers for grinders and we make jalapeno poppers out of the Jalapenos. These also seem do do far better than the green, red, yellow, and orange peppers that I used to grow.
Wicked Wec

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2167 on: May 30, 2018, 11:01 AM »
i have only succeeded with hot peppers. I never fared well with green, bell, yellow, orange peppers.
My ground is very sandy, regardless of how much i add to it. not sure if that helps or hinders the growing of peppers, hot or otherwise

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2168 on: May 30, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Don't feel bad, I stink at growing bell peppers too. Had a few decent purple bell last season, but some kind of little buggers ate holes in them before I noticed. I have really good success at jalapeņos though.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2169 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Been busier than a one armed paper hanger in 98% humidity. Nice night for a fire in the old Weber with a cold G&T.

One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2170 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56 PM »
The Peonies in the background aren't open yet but the ants are working them pretty hard, so they should open any day.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2171 on: May 30, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I haven't posted much in a bit, but here was a project a couple weeks ago.

We've had blueberries for a few years now, but some dummy caught one with the mower last fall, and another for some reason winter killed. So we went to a nursery up north and got a couple more.

Removed the sod.

Spaced then 5' apart and laid plastic.

And filled in with crushed rock.

No more close mowing or weeding!  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2172 on: May 31, 2018, 05:12 AM »
Looks nice Bill. Don't mow any rocks ;D

I was just watering all my gardens. Got attacked by black flies. Couldn't find my bug spray anywhere. I usually spray my straw hat and they leave me alone.

The potatomato is doing very well. Standing tall . Waiting for new growth to proclaim it a success.

Rg

Roccus

« Reply #2173 on: May 31, 2018, 11:46 AM »
 everyone gardens are looking good.. reading on line here you can see how some areas are hindered by the weather.. I never gave it much thought... I'll have to take some pictures... front yard is done.. finished spreading 6 yards of mulch last night.... Garden is coming along..I just replanted my peas and beans eaten buy Peter cottontail!.. I was installing the individual drip lines for each plant ( tomatoes, eggplants, peppers  etc.) last night and a came face to face with a striped terror... yea I'm scared of snakes!... screamed like a little child!....I'd rather face down a gut shot grizzly than a 12" garter snake.. after my hissy fit ( my wife calls then SISSY fits) ( which had my wife laughing hysterically)I couldn't finish the job... maybe tonight...I'M BRINGING MY SHOTGUN!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2174 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52 AM »
everyone gardens are looking good.. reading on line here you can see how some areas are hindered by the weather.. I never gave it much thought... I'll have to take some pictures... front yard is done.. finished spreading 6 yards of mulch last night.... Garden is coming along..I just replanted my peas and beans eaten buy Peter cottontail!.. I was installing the individual drip lines for each plant ( tomatoes, eggplants, peppers  etc.) last night and a came face to face with a striped terror... yea I'm scared of snakes!... screamed like a little child!....I'd rather face down a gut shot grizzly than a 12" garter snake.. after my hissy fit ( my wife calls then SISSY fits) ( which had my wife laughing hysterically)I couldn't finish the job... maybe tonight...I'M BRINGING MY SHOTGUN!

LMFAO!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.