FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518224 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2205 on: Jun 07, 2018, 05:40 AM »
ATC, nice beds! Are those store bought or DIY?

Spinach and carrots are starting to sprout in the Trough planter. Potatoes are going crazy in the beds. The Tomtato has new growth, but I'm skeptical that it will produce tomatoes. I put a cage around it to give it some room. I've got the snails in check so there hasn't been any damage to the cukes and pickles lately. The diatomaceous earth seems to be working. My jalapeņos are still growing slowly. Probably these cool temps, I'd guess.

The tomatoes in the beds are growing rapidly and a couple have blossoms already.

My sunflower experiment is a complete fail. Not one sprouted. So.......I'm going to remove all the sod from that plot, turn it over and fill it with my garden mix to create yet another planting bed. I'll probably end up going down a good 12" and filling it to the top giving me a 16" deep bed. I'll replant the sunflowers and am giving thought to constructing a dome for late fall and early spring  planting. I think a dome would be fun to build.

More garden......👍👍👍

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2206 on: Jun 07, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words

RG, those were Polish carpenter DIY specials. I used Trex decking in lieu of wood in the hopes of increased longevity. They are each 4'x8'

Still have a few more plants to put in, then i am running river washed stone around the beds for added beauty and less weeding

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2207 on: Jun 07, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Nice idea. Trex should last forever.

Just transplanted the last 2 jalapeņos to the garden. 2 earlier seedlings didn't make it. But, I had plenty of extras. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my remaining dozen or so cuke and pickle starts. I'm really out of room.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2208 on: Jun 08, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Stone around the beds is a nice idea. I laid landscape fabric down in the pathways of my raised beds and topped them with red mulch. Keeps the weeds at bay an drew makes for a decent looking plot.

Just finishing up the replant of e sunflower patch. Gotta go get a few more bags of soil. Not quite full enough for my liking.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2209 on: Jun 09, 2018, 05:38 PM »
A few pics of the gardens so far.
Strawberry plot

Garlic and spinach

Asparagus

Potatoes

Tomatoes,  uses and pickles

Tomatoes and jalapeņos

Things are growing nicely.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2210 on: Jun 09, 2018, 07:35 PM »

Awesome set up Bob! I'm having a major yard work crisis today..... Got a used troy built lawn tractor from a Ma&Pop small engine shop I give all my business too 3 weeks ago and have not finished cutting my grass one time without a break down of some kind, most of the issues I dealt with myself, but today I brought it back and told them to sort it out or refund my $850. Moving on my old husqrvana saw blew a gas line this spring and apparently the part is obsolete after 5 years...... So I went and got a Stihl they were running a sale on, seemed like a saw that would suit my needs, light and enough power to do my basic yard needs. Chain was junk so i went to get a more aggressive one and there is only 1 chain designed for this saw..... OK I got 2 more just in case. Seems to cut a bit better now, not great but at least it's not aggravating me. I have 40-60 medium sized maple trees to clear out before our build this summer and I'm running out of time quick. This working out of town, while profitable is hurting my fishing time with home chores to get done all weekend. Garden is taking nicely, I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. Now for a fire and a nice stiff drink with my Bride  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2211 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:29 AM »
I spent time on the road working for many years. 1 to 2 weeks at a time out of town got old very quickly. It paid the bills and then some, but it sucked!

Hope your tractor gets repaired. Lady in our neighborhood bought a Cub Cadet from Tractor Supply. It's broke down more than it's working wish you lived closer. I can always get deals on returned tractors. Many people buy one and then decide to upgrade. Our store gives them full credit and than marks down the used one. Some times there's been some minor repair made to one we've already replaced and the repaired one gets a big markdown. My John Deere listed at $1599. I bought it for $700 with 12 hours on it and they threw in a $300 John Deere dump trailer that had a cracked corner for $50. I did some minor reinforcement to the corners and have been beating it up ever since.

Of course, I also got my 10% discount👍

Anyway, if you're in the market for a tractor, Lowes is always willing to deal on the used stuff they have.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2212 on: Jun 10, 2018, 09:49 AM »
I spent time on the road working for many years. 1 to 2 weeks at a time out of town got old very quickly. It paid the bills and then some, but it sucked!

Hope your tractor gets repaired. Lady in our neighborhood bought a Cub Cadet from Tractor Supply. It's broke down more than it's working wish you lived closer. I can always get deals on returned tractors. Many people buy one and then decide to upgrade. Our store gives them full credit and than marks down the used one. Some times there's been some minor repair made to one we've already replaced and the repaired one gets a big markdown. My John Deere listed at $1599. I bought it for $700 with 12 hours on it and they threw in a $300 John Deere dump trailer that had a cracked corner for $50. I did some minor reinforcement to the corners and have been beating it up ever since.

Of course, I also got my 10% discount👍

Anyway, if you're in the market for a tractor, Lowes is always willing to deal on the used stuff they have.

Rg
Wicked good intel bob, if this doesn't work out I will make it a point to go see you.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2213 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Ed. There's always something to throw a hitch in the giddy-up!

I planted 6 (50 ft.) rows of Silver Queen, a row of winter squash, a row of red and white potatoes, and 2 rows of cukes after fishing this morning. 2 more 6 row plantings of corn and I'll be done!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2214 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:49 PM »
All you guys are doing great on the farming...
Eddy happy for you and your bride on the new homestead.   

Mums the word around here..  All done till next shipment.       :P

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2215 on: Jun 10, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Holy mum, Batman! That's a lot of mums!   ;D
I notice they're not in the greenhouses.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2216 on: Jun 10, 2018, 04:41 PM »
We also let the baby chicks have some lawn for the first time today.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2217 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Nice chicks Bill....

Mums go outside they like it cooler...  They are in the fields and will be seperated and put on drippers after a few weeks...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2218 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Hey, you have lawn seats or under the pavilion?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2219 on: Jun 10, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Hey, you have lawn seats or under the pavilion?

I'm a lawn guy Bill. I need my space...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.