FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518023 times)

Roccus

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2520 on: Aug 01, 2018, 08:36 AM »
some crops I plant continually...last week I put in my fall crop of beets and carrots...this year I broke from the big garden mentality ( as taught by living and working  on a farm) and have been farming my "truck patch " by the square foot... growing as many things as possible vertically... butternut and acorn squash growing up like tomatoes... the "fruit" is supported by bird netting  that is ties to the top rail of a 3/4" galvanized pipe structure... and the rest of the garden in tightly maintained spaces it's led to the best crop in a long time... I've put up more pickles than ever and pick cukes each day. I harvested my garlic last week and planted radishes in their spot... by the time I harvest those..it'll be time to replant the garlic after I "freshen " the soil with  peat moss, lime  and compost..
the boss lady is home as I type this canning beans and putting up a 5 gallon bucket of San mozanos for sauce

fishinator

« Reply #2521 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Has anyone used slicing cucumbers for pickling? I didn't plant any pickling cucumbers but I'm over flowing with slicing cucumbers.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2522 on: Aug 01, 2018, 12:11 PM »

I didn’t either , just pick them when they are smaller , my pickles were just fine , well at least according to me 😉

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2523 on: Aug 01, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Has anyone used slicing cucumbers for pickling? I didn't plant any pickling cucumbers but I'm over flowing with slicing cucumbers.

If you can pickle an egg, you can pickle a slicing cucumber.  :D

As stated, pick them when younger to keep them crispy.
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2524 on: Aug 01, 2018, 12:31 PM »
You dont grow pickels.
You grow cucumbers which you make into pickels.... ;)
Any will do as long as the skin isnt to hard and there not full of seeds...  ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2525 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I eat the Boston Pickling Cukes in salads. I like them better than the slicing cukes.......and they make great pickles if they don't hide in the patch till they're enormous.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinator

« Reply #2526 on: Aug 01, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Thanks guys. I will start harvesting some small ones tonight.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2527 on: Aug 01, 2018, 03:51 PM »
I am with RG.

I prefer pickling cukes for the salad as well (Boston,picklebush, national pickling). The other cucumbers I enjoy are the Armenian (love this one on salad) as well as the Lemon cucumber which is great mixed with tomatoes and Italian dressing. The only cuke I would not pickle from my experience is the lemon cuke.
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2528 on: Aug 02, 2018, 06:01 AM »
I like the burpless varieties......
I picked a basket of 3 different kind of cucumbers last night...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2529 on: Aug 02, 2018, 06:09 AM »

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2530 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03:10 PM »
I'm really jealous of your tomatoes Dom. Mine are getting huge and there's a ton of them, but I've only harvested yellow plum so far.

Picked a bowl of pickles this morning.

The top one is a Boston Pickling Cuke. For the record, I have a 2xl hand, 5" across. Those pickles grow big.

There's a ton more in the garden and I'll be putting them up this weekend. I'll have to look into those lemon cukes. They sound interesting.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2531 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Nice cucks.
Bob those are early girl tomatoes.
They dont get big and the plants are almost played out.
The big boy, beefsteaks and heirlooms are coming along nice... But not ready yet..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2532 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03:45 PM »

And garlic flavored chives..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2533 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03:49 PM »

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2534 on: Aug 02, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Cucumber, tomato and mozzarella salid ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.