FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518271 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2535 on: Aug 02, 2018, 08:30 PM »

Solid pull Loser! I'm struggling with Pest's...... My Cukes are almost toast, the snails and slugs did a number on them despite the dry conditions....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2536 on: Aug 05, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Not a pretty picture but this the contents of just one beer can slug trap just from last night...... :sick: :sick: :sick: :

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2537 on: Aug 05, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Had a wicked storm come through around 4:30 yesterday afternoon out of the north east.  It's weird to see clouds moving towards the west! Never good. Tons of lightening, quarter size hail, whipping winds, and an inch and a quarter of rain, it even had a tornado warning tied to it.

Flattened my sweet corn that just tasseled out last week. I hope it stands back up.

>:(
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2538 on: Aug 05, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Not a pretty picture but this the contents of just one beer can slug trap just from last night...... :sick: :sick: :sick: :

Heineken?

Hope your corn comes back Bill. We had a heavy thunder storm yesterday. Lasted about 45 minutes. Don't know how much rain exactly, but I'd guess an inch anyway. It really poured.

Put up 7 more quarts of pickles this morning. I changed my recipe last batch and made them a sweet dill. My taste testers really like them.

They're not really spicy, which is ok. But....the next batches are going to get some heat added to them. Nothing better that a good hot, spicy pickle on a cold winter day.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2539 on: Aug 05, 2018, 10:46 AM »
That stinks Bill...
No rain at all here...

Bob, slugs like cheep beer like me... ;D
Pickels look great... .
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2540 on: Aug 05, 2018, 12:57 PM »
I read that yeast in water does a good job too. Haven't been drinking any beer lately. Trying to get down to fighting weight.

Read another one that said to leave a clay dish full of water in the garden and the slugs will crawl under it at daylight to sit out the hot sunny day. Supposedly  one can then lift the dish and just pick them up.

I don't have much of a problem since spreading some diatomaceous earth around the beds.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2541 on: Aug 05, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I leave a can laying on its side with a mouth full of beer in it  on the  ground at the base of my beds.   Get them before they get up in and get my garden goodies.... ;D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2542 on: Aug 05, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Oye! The woes of a gardener! If it's not slugs or weather, it's something else!

Checked the garden this morning and there's a pepper plant void of leaves. Time to go hunting;  I knew exactly what it was. Horned Tomato worms!  So far today we've found a dozen. Buzzards don't swim very well!
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2543 on: Aug 05, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Guess we have to pay our dues Bill. It's always something. I don't think any of us have a 100% year.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2544 on: Aug 05, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Lol! Never!   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2545 on: Aug 06, 2018, 08:33 AM »
Well, I made up 6 slug traps this morning. I'm trying the yeast, sugar, flour, water mix. Time will tell.

Also made this year's yellow jacket trap.

Plastic fruit juice bottle with a plastic tube inside. In the tube is some felt and a packet of WHY attractant. Drilled some holes in the plastic tube. Cut some x shaped holes on the bottle and bent in the edges. Drilled some holes around the top to let the scent out. Put apple cider vinegar, water and a few drops of Dawn in the bottom.

Last year I just hung a piece of sponge with attractant in the bottle. Got a ton of the annoying little bugs.

I also bought a packaged trap by WHY last year. I threw it out. Mine works way better.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2546 on: Aug 06, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Get them Bob.   We walked around my brides shrubs last night  shaking them off in a pail of soapy water..  . . .

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2547 on: Aug 06, 2018, 07:04 PM »
OYE! W had a vicious storm come through this afternoon. Did some damage.
Wipes out a couple of my plants and broke pots I've had for years.

Knocked over all my pickle extras.

Flattened my sunflowers.

And...ripped the top off my compost bin again murdering my volunteer pumpkin plant.

It also knocked over some of my pickle trellises, uprooted some marigolds and flattened my wild flowers.

The rain was good......but geeze......the winds.

Most will survive, I hope. Came on really quick. I barely got the parrot playpen next door in my garage before the winds picked the table umbrella up and flew it across the yard. I got really soaked ( which was ok by me) running around in the rains trying to do damage control.

Rg

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2548 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:57 AM »
That sucks Bob. Nothing here but i could hear thunder way off in the distance.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2549 on: Aug 07, 2018, 06:26 AM »
That's crazy!  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.