FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 517911 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3510 on: Jun 11, 2020, 07:30 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation of a non-toxic pesticide? I have multiple problems in my garden.  Slug chomped on my broccoli and my pepper plants have several holes in them. My zucchini plants just came up and they are full of holes and dying. I'm in danger of losing almost everything.

fishinator

« Reply #3511 on: Jun 11, 2020, 07:32 AM »
I have tried a few home remedies and have picked slugs by hand but I can't keep up. Not sure whats eating my other plants.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3512 on: Jun 11, 2020, 07:50 AM »
I had 80 mph winds come through in a thunderstorm yesterday and snapped off some limbs of my tomato plants.  :'(

To show you how strong the wind was this is a homemade steel flagpole.

Wow those are some strong winds.

Question for those that have ordered plants before. Is it normal for live potted plants to be shipped ground, in transit for a week? How well do they make it? My first plant ordered through amazon was shipped 2nd day, Gurneys just sent my tracking info and it says it’ll take a week...
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3513 on: Jun 11, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation of a non-toxic pesticide? I have multiple problems in my garden.  Slug chomped on my broccoli and my pepper plants have several holes in them. My zucchini plants just came up and they are full of holes and dying. I'm in danger of losing almost everything.

I use Garden Safe /lug and Snail killer. It works very well. It's supposed to be organically reviewed and approved. Lowes, Wally World or online.

Tried all the so called sure fire methods using home made stuff...beer traps etc.

They don't work like this stuff.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinator

« Reply #3514 on: Jun 11, 2020, 03:12 PM »
I have caught quite a few slugs in the beer traps but they are still everywhere. Now that we are pretty much off lockdown the kids are getting busy with ball. No time to pick them off by hand.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3515 on: Jun 11, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Sprinkle salt on them slugs. ;)  Its cool to watch them melt.. Kinda like the witch in the wizard of oz.  8)
 Everyone use to think the salt shaker in the old Italians back pocket was for ripe tomatoes but it was for slugs.  ;D
 You can put a ring of it a couple inches away from the bottom of the plant...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3516 on: Jun 11, 2020, 04:25 PM »
As far as the zucchini and any other hollow vine plants look up the Squash Vine Borer..  ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3517 on: Jun 11, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Planted mums ..

And that's only 1/2 so far..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3518 on: Jun 11, 2020, 04:40 PM »
That's a lot of mums!

I was watering my garden and giving the sedum a shot of water when these two bunnies squirted out into the lawn.

About 4" long I'd say. Mom is around so I left them where they were..

Cute little buggers. Gonna have to be careful when I mow tomorrow.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3519 on: Jun 12, 2020, 04:38 AM »
Been a lot of bunnies running around this year...
 And fawns everywhere........
This one was by the garden a couple weeks ago..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3520 on: Jun 12, 2020, 06:44 AM »
Cool! I watched a couple fawns romping around the soccer fields where I start my walk. They were full of life.

Diatomaceous earth with help with the slugs as well. Just have to re-treat  after rain. Works on any crawling insects. To them it's like crossing shards of glass.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3521 on: Jun 12, 2020, 04:51 PM »
To prune or not to prune, that is the question....

I am a novice, picked up gardening after my daughter joined the garden club. Been a couple years now.

When it comes to indeterminate tomatoes, does anyone prune them, or just let them go? For years I have pruned, but after researching that may not be the way to go.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3522 on: Jun 12, 2020, 05:50 PM »
Indeterminate tomatoes..... I prune off the suckers.  That's about all. Others do way more with success.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3523 on: Jun 13, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Indeterminate tomatoes..... I prune off the suckers.  That's about all. Others do way more with success.

Rg

Good to know, appreciate it!

taxid

« Reply #3524 on: Jun 13, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Does anyone do soil testing themselves? I got a soil test kit that was a piece of junk obviously made in China, so spent more for a much better LaMotte test.

I'm kind of geek tester that likes to test the swim spa, my ponds, and now the gardens. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.