FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518374 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3570 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:45 AM »
Nice stone work LJ.   :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3571 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:47 AM »
And Mac let me know where I can buy 100 lbs of tomatoes for that price.. :o
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #3572 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:02 AM »
Being new to this I am on a learning curve. Anyone have issues with sweet corn falling over easily? I planted at the directed depth and they are growing well and look healthy otherwise. I found this: http://www.agrigold.com/Universal/Articles/Why-are-my-corn-plants-falling-over/

I may have sprayed my water too aggressively and reduced the soil depth.

And I thought corn would be an easy one!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3573 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:22 AM »
Corn and Zucchini are two things I don't grow. There's a farm market near me that grows the absolute best sweet corn and we only have it 3 or 4 times a summer. Their strawberries and peaches are also the finest around. They have a huge operation and employ a couple dozen high school kids every summer. A nice family owned business that's been around for as long as I can remember. Zucchini is everywhere almost for free.

I have a dozen tomato plants that were planted over about 6 weeks. Should stagger the harvest nicely. The last to be planted were 4 SAN Marzano sauce tomatoes. I'm hoping to make some  nice sauce and salsa this fall. Fortunately, no signs of the blight that wiped out my tomato crop last year.

As far as the cost of a garden is concerned....home grown vegetables are priceless!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #3574 on: Jun 24, 2020, 06:57 AM »
Corn and Zucchini are two things I don't grow. There's a farm market near me that grows the absolute best sweet corn and we only have it 3 or 4 times a summer. Their strawberries and peaches are also the finest around. They have a huge operation and employ a couple dozen high school kids every summer. A nice family owned business that's been around for as long as I can remember. Zucchini is everywhere almost for free.

I have a dozen tomato plants that were planted over about 6 weeks. Should stagger the harvest nicely. The last to be planted were 4 SAN Marzano sauce tomatoes. I'm hoping to make some  nice sauce and salsa this fall. Fortunately, no signs of the blight that wiped out my tomato crop last year.

As far as the cost of a garden is concerned....home grown vegetables are priceless!

Rg

Good point Rg. After my first year taking over the garden(s) -- my elderly father that lives on the property in an apartment used to do it, but now his time is taken up taken care of my mother that has neurological issues -- I don't see the cost benefit as produce in this country is so cheap and plentiful - at this point. However other than learning a few things the hard way, I am enjoying the heck out of gardening. Even clearing weeds in the beds has a calming effect on me not unlike meditation.

With the eight species of fish I hatch and raise it's fun to monitor their growth and final harvest is rewarding, which will be the same with the garden.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3575 on: Jun 24, 2020, 07:37 AM »
I'm sure your Father appreciates you carrying on with what he started. He'll be especially happy to make use of the harvest as well.

There's a lot of pleasure in gardening.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3576 on: Jun 24, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Cost effective, Prob not but depends on how much you can grow, and especially if you start from seeds yourself. I’m new to this gardening myself, but use to growing things like corals, aquarium plants, and use to have a nice closet grow going. Now that was more cost effective seeing how expensive corals and the closet greens were lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3577 on: Jun 24, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Adding to the value of the garden is seeing my princess walking through, picking and eating cherry tomatoes and green beans by the handful.

Priceless!

fishinator

« Reply #3578 on: Jun 24, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Cost effective, Prob not but depends on how much you can grow, and especially if you start from seeds yourself. I’m new to this gardening myself, but use to growing things like corals, aquarium plants, and use to have a nice closet grow going. Now that was more cost effective seeing how expensive corals and the closet greens were lol.
hahahaha closet greens!!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3579 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:25 PM »
Indeterminate tomatoes..... I prune off the suckers.  That's about all. Others do way more with success.

Rg

So you wouldn’t prune any of these lower branches? Just any suckers? (Or are they suckers that I don’t know about)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3580 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:32 PM »
I never do..  Why take any green growing part off a plant..  Thats there lungs...    JMO......

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3581 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:34 PM »
Fair point. Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Just a reformed city boy here, trying to learn the tricks of the trade....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3582 on: Jun 24, 2020, 04:37 PM »
And it looks like some of your zip ties are a little tight..... ;)
 I like to use bailer twine tied loose....

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3583 on: Jun 24, 2020, 05:20 PM »
And it looks like some of your zip ties are a little tight..... ;)
 I like to use bailer twine tied loose....

Thanks! I put them on backwards so I can adjust them

icefisher47

« Reply #3584 on: Jun 24, 2020, 05:22 PM »
Nothing is better then home grown vegetables. Hoping our next place we’ll be able to have a space to plant. Good thing for Farmers Markets.
Take a kid fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.